+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 - preliminary questions in Technical; Hi, Just looking into implementing Office 356 to replace our exchange 2007 server. There a few things I've found out, ...
    HCC
    Thank Post

Question Office 365 - preliminary questions

Hi,

Just looking into implementing Office 356 to replace our exchange 2007 server. There a few things I've found out, I just wanted to check how others managed, so I have all the info before starting.

We have over 1000 mailboxes, so I'm looking at a staged migration, using dirsync with passwords.

• Outlook temporary mailbox issue. - We have approx 100 staff that use outlook, this message will confuse them, I'm surprised there is no automated way to fix this and users will need to delete their profile.
    • Logon site needs domain. - I have modified the 2007 iis logon page so it fills in the long "@hailshamcc.e-sussex.sch.uk" domain automatically. Users only need to type their username and password. My understanding is that the full username would need to be typed to mail.office365.com. Is there a way to store the domain in the url so users only need to type in their short username, like they do now?
    • Convert users to mail enabled users - I can see why this has to be done after a batch has been migrated, but what happens when I add a new user that needs a mailbox. I was planning to decommission the onsite exchange server. Do I need to keep it to mail enable new user objects?

Thanks,

HCC
    Thank Post
    OK, so it looks like there are no answers to my initial issues.

I've now set up a trial.Mail and Calendar and People look good, Sharepoint concerns me. I don't really want students making their own sites or using the newsfeed, all I want is skydrive. Is there a way to remove the newsfeeds and sites menus or change the permissions to prevent their use?

Thank Post
    What do you mean by temporary mailbox?

Quote Originally Posted by HCC View Post
    OK, so it looks like there are no answers to my initial issues.

I've now set up a trial.Mail and Calendar and People look goodDo I need to keep it to mail enable new user objects? Sharepoint concerns me. I don't really want students making their own sites or using the newsfeed, all I want is skydrive. Is there a way to remove the newsfeeds and sites menus or change the permissions to prevent their use?
    Good question and something I have been wondering to.

Do I need to keep it to mail enable new user objects?
    No. If you have DirSync then this will create the accounts in Office365 for you. You can then just assign them the relevant licenses.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 17th June 2013 at 09:41 PM.

HCC
    Thank Post
    by temporary mailbox I meant existing Outlook users need to delete their profile during migration. I found this that might help Staged Migration - Outlook 2007 prompting to Use Temporary mailbox - Email and calendar - Office 365 - Microsoft Office 365 Community I have yet to experience this but found out about it when looking for migration instructions.

I can't find a way to disable the top links. I can just imagine what havoc this will cause if it has to stay enabled. How can their use be monitored?

Thank Post
    by temporary mailbox I meant existing Outlook users need to delete their profile during migration. I found this that might help Staged Migration - Outlook 2007 prompting to Use Temporary mailbox - Email and calendar - Office 365 - Microsoft Office 365 Community I have yet to experience this but found out about it when looking for migration instructions.

I can't find a way to disable the top links. I can just imagine what havoc this will cause if it has to stay enabled. How can their use be monitored?
    Do the students need access to Sharepoint? If so, preventing their access to this could potentially stop them.

As for deleting profile, I found following advice on here that using a blank PRF file will delete any existing Outlook profiles and easily allow then to set up a new one.

@EduTech might know how to disable Newsfeeds and Site menu's.

Thank Post
    It seems you can disable Newsfeed for all, but not just specific. Not sure if this has any effect?

If you would not like your users to use Newsfeed, you can directly disable its activities for your organization.
    1. Click Admin > SharePoint in the header, and then on the SharePoint admin center page, click user profiles.
    2. Under My Site Settings, click Setup My Sites.
    3. In the Newsfeed section, clear the Enable activities in My Site newsfeeds check box.
    4. Click OK.
    This might help too?
    http://blogs.perficient.com/microsof...-site-feature/
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 17th June 2013 at 10:12 PM.

HCC
    Thank Post
    I found this link Disable Lync Online, SharePoint Online, or both - Manage Office 365 - Office 365 - Microsoft Office 365 Community but I'm not sure if this will disable skydrive. I suspect it will, annoyingly.
    I'm also starting to look at google apps because their admin seems far simpler with on/off options for all separate services on a per user basis.

So far I'm disappointed with my 365 trial. I've tried finding out how to turn off sites and newsfeeds and all I can find is robotic microsoft forum replies about requesting the feature. Is it just me or is this an obviously missing option?

HCC
    Thank Post
    Has anyone found a way to kill sites and newsfeeds but keep skydrive pro?

Also the 'shared with everyone link' worries me, is there a way to disable this for students?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Has anyone found a way to kill sites and newsfeeds but keep skydrive pro?

Also the 'shared with everyone link' worries me, is there a way to disable this for students?
    I asked the same question recently and unfortunately you can't. Microsoft seem more interested in pushing SharePoint online rather than asking themselves how good it actually is. It's an unfinished product in my opinion which is unfortunate.

HCC
    Thank Post
    I am considering just using the exchange part, and killing the rest if thats possible. It's a shame since skydrive would have been useful.
    Maybe they will reconsider in the future since, like their other recent u-turns.

Thank Post
    I am considering just using the exchange part, and killing the rest if thats possible. It's a shame since skydrive would have been useful.
    Maybe they will reconsider in the future since, like their other recent u-turns.
    This is exactly what I have done You just control it via license options enabled.

Thank Post
    Sorry to reraise this but is there anyway to powershell off the Newsfeed option?

Or make it only available to certain security groups - IE Staff only

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfin2000 View Post
    Sorry to reraise this but is there anyway to powershell off the Newsfeed option?

Or make it only available to certain security groups - IE Staff only
    Last I checked you can't - it's a question that's been asked numerous times. Lets hope Microsoft reads Edugeek

Thank Post
    Lets hope so - just about to release out to 170 schools and this is quite a large scale issue!

@jamesbmarshall any information on this at all?

Thank Post
    The best thing you can do is to disable activities in the Newsfeed, but you can't turn it off completely.

I know this isn't perfect - feedback is heard loud and clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Lets hope Microsoft reads Edugeek
    Believe me, it does.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast