+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 - preliminary questions in Technical; Hi James, Thanks for your prompt response! Feedback is heard, lets hope something can be done ASAP! It would also ...
    Thank Post
    Hi James,

Thanks for your prompt response! Feedback is heard, lets hope something can be done ASAP! It would also need the ability to powershell any disabling!

Can you describe exactly what disabling activities does as it appears not to do very much in the main Newsfeed area!

Cheers

Rich

Thank Post
    Hi all,

It seems i have the same problem, i want to disable Newsfeed... any solution?

Regards

Diego.

Thank Post
    No solution as far as I have researched. To be honest, the schools we have released too havn't had a major issue with - as per se - but they would still like the possibility of switching it off if they don't want to use it.

We have come on some way (in our area anyway) in terms of e-safety and changing minds about this type of technology but it doesn't suit everyone and therefore, the ability to disable would be most welcome :S

It's also been suggested that we should feedback about it via here: Microsoft Support

I have done this!

Thank Post
    Found this on a Microsoft forum regarding disabling Newsfeeds and it does work for me also.

Login to Office 365 go to Software and download sharepoint designer

log into your mysites url via sharepoint designer. url would be something like https://yourorgname-my.sharepoint.com

go to "All Files from navigation pane to the left

make a copy of "default.aspx" as a backup (do this to be safe)

copy contents of "Person.aspx" to clipboard

edit original "default.aspx", highlight all, delete, paste in contents of "Person.aspx"

save

Now when anyone clicks "Newsfeed" it will simply take them to their profile page.

Not perfect but it gets the desired result of keeping students from playing in the newsfeed.

5. 2 Thanks to lmgtfy:

funkyfin2000 (20th December 2013), sonofsanta (29th January 2014)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (cross posting like a boss for the Google results, because this was the thread I originally followed but other threads showed up higher in Google)

As an alternative to the above (and thanks for the post @lmgtfy, been a great help) - instead of copying in the contents of Person.aspx into Default.aspx, copy the following code into it instead (such that it is the only code in Default.aspx):
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
      <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=https://[tenancy]-my.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/MySite.aspx?MySiteRedirect=AllDocuments" />
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>
    Alter [tenancy] as relevant, or - easier - log in to Office 365 as any user and copy the URL from the SkyDrive shortcut up the top.

That then automatically bounces anyone going to the Newsfeed page over the the SkyDrive Pro page - which means that as soon as a user logs in, they are shown their SkyDrive Pro page. Result

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds great @sonofsanta but does this work still with the new SkyDrive>OneDrive change? I've seen a couple of suggestions with editing these files that caused issues creating new onedrives but as this is simply changing the link I wouldnt expect an issue...

Confirmation would be good before I make any changes to our tenancy

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Sounds great @sonofsanta but does this work still with the new SkyDrive>OneDrive change? I've seen a couple of suggestions with editing these files that caused issues creating new onedrives but as this is simply changing the link I wouldnt expect an issue...

Confirmation would be good before I make any changes to our tenancy

Thanks
    Point the first: that link still works for OneDrive.

Point the second: but not the first time you click on it - should really have updated this thread before with this info, so here goes...

The first time a user logs in and goes to OneDrive, it does that funky set up stuff. Until that is done, the link I posted above doesn't work, because the location it's trying to go to doesn't exist yet, because the first time set up hasn't run yet, and isn't triggered by that link but only by the existing page (there by default) or the Person.aspx page, as posted by @lmgtfy.

All of which means you could only ever edit Default.aspx to that code once all your users had visited OneDrive and triggered the setup. Which will never happen, so I reverted back to copying the contents of Person.aspx into Default.aspx as mentioned earlier, and that works fine.

The link (https://&#91;tenancy]-my.sharepoint.com/...t=AllDocuments) still works for Intranet links and the like, though - it does succesfully redirect to a user's personal OneDrive.

tl:dr; ignore my advice above, it doesn't work because SharePoint needs to go through a set up stage first

10. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

bondbill2k2 (2nd May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12