+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, How do you successfully manage your backups and... in Technical; How do you successfully manage your backups and are you completely following Data Protection laws? What servers do you backup ...

Thank Post

How do you successfully manage your backups and...

How do you successfully manage your backups and are you completely following Data Protection laws? What servers do you backup and what has been left out..?

I've noticed members here who run weekly USB hard drive 'backups' and store them in their car.. Of course this doesn't seem very secure..

What does your school do to prevent the loss of data?
    Have you had to experience a real DR situation?
    Are you fully confident that if your file storage server dead tonight you could be back up within 48hrs?

I'm trying to provide a good backup solution for the college I work at and would be interested in how you backup your data or what company you use for offsite long term data storage?

Thank you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Backing up to USB is a thing of the past - I backup to a NAS and try and position it away from servers in the event of flood or fire.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Backing up to USB is a thing of the past - I backup to a NAS and try and position it away from servers in the event of flood or fire.
    No offsite monthly backup? What services do you backup on the NAS? what size?

Thank Post
    The school MIS is backed up to the LA, but in-house backups on both Curric and MIS are performed to a NAS, so data never leaves site.

Size varies, but typically anywhere between 50GB to 100GB over a gigabit connection. Does it no problem using BackupAssist.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Can you clarify why USB (presumbly USB connected HDD?) is a thing of the past? This is sort of what I do here and its the best backup system we've ever used.

[Edit] Also not sure I'd be back in 48 hours, but this would depend surely on getting some hardware to run as a replacement for the dead kit - unless we're supposed to keep a high powered server kicking around ready for that eventuality?

Meldrew
    Last edited by Meldrew; 4th June 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    Can you clarify why USB (presumbly USB connected HDD?) is a thing of the past? This is sort of what I do here and its the best backup system we've ever used.

[Edit] Also not sure I'd be back in 48 hours, but this would depend surely on getting some hardware to run as a replacement for the dead kit - unless we're supposed to keep a high powered server kicking around ready for that eventuality?

Meldrew
    Well do you backup raw data or full system states?

We recently had this happen to us.. our single file storage with all profiles etc died... we purchased a new server and using DPM we transferred all our data to the new server with permission... Back in no time!

I just want to find a long term storage solution for monthly backups... also need to backup SQL and Exchange mailboxes...

Thank Post
    We backup all four of our servers (Including SIMS) to an encrypted NAS daily then back that up to the cloud weekly.

Matt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post

Meldrew
    Worse case scenario is a fire or flood occurs over night, taking your server and USB backup along with it as they're physically connected together. A NAS can be physically located the other end of a school.

Secondly RAIDed NASes are quite common, whereas most USB disk drives are just one physical disk. If your servers are RAIDed as well as your backup to a NAS, you limit the risk or probability of losing data.

Thank Post
    We use Veeam to back up all servers fully every night and to replicate the SIMS and Exchange servers every 15 mins.
    The nightly backups are copied to tape and a copy done to disks in another part of the school well away from the servers.
    A copy of the tapes is in a fireproof (read resistant) safe again in another part of the school.
    So unless the whole school burns down (and as it is all on one level that would be difficult), we should be covered.
    Also IF the school was to be totally destroyed, then I would think the having a latest backup would be the least of the problems.
    Oh and yes we test the backups regularly.
    Alan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    We backup all four of our servers (Including SIMS) to an encrypted NAS daily then back that up to the cloud weekly.

Matt
    Thanks for your reply Matt, what cloud service do you use? What cost?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I just want to find a long term storage solution for monthly backups... also need to backup SQL and Exchange mailboxes...
    Backup Assist has optional modules for backing up SQL and Exchange. You may optionally wish to look at Office 365 which would remove the need to backup forever growing mailboxes!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    We use Veeam to replicate the SIMS and Exchange servers every 15 mins.
    Hadn't actually thought of using the replication part of Veeam...

What do you replicate to? Another Hyper-V/VMware cluster? or just another host?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not use USB and NAS together?

I have a local USB drive on the VM host which backs up (and restores) very quickly, this is then replicated to a NAS in another building at leisure.
    Every so often copies of the VHDs are also taken offsite on a USB drive.

MIS is backed to LA servers.

Thank Post
    We use LiveDrive, I'm unsure of the cost as the MD has a reseller account. Not much I shouldn't think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Hadn't actually thought of using the replication part of Veeam...

What do you replicate to? Another Hyper-V/VMware cluster? or just another host?
    We have four hosts set up in a HA setup. The backup SAN is separate and connected via a fibre swtich. Takes 5 mins for SIMS replication and 3mins for Exchange replication.
    We can bring a 'backup' online in mins to take over whilst we sort out (in a virtual lab) the 'real' (that is a strange phrase talking about one virtual machine as real lol) server.
    Tested and works. A couple of years ago, we had a gas explosion next door (made national news). The shockwave moved the 650KG server cab four inches along the floor in a closed room. All disks were wiped (including backups etc.). Took a week to get back up and running. That is when we changed what we use and have a backup SAN else where.
    Alan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast