+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Oakford Backup in Technical; Hello, Has anyone used Oakford Backup for online backup and are they any good? Thank you. Paul...
    Thank Post

Oakford Backup

Hello,

Has anyone used Oakford Backup for online backup and are they any good?

Thank you.
    Paul

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRenda View Post
    Has anyone used Oakford Backup for online backup and are they any good?
    I haven't used them, but I'm currently looking at options for offsite backup. Any idea how much they charge? One of their testimonials mentions £99 for 100GB, is that £99 per month for 100GB, does anyone know?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I see we actually have a sponsor on EduGeek providing this sort of service: https://www.livedrive.com/in/2tb_syn...FWLHtAod61YAlQ

4. Thanks to speckytecky from:

dhicks (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    We currently use DPM for our onsite backup.. this works really well! Couldn't recommend it anymore.. Just looking for an offsite solution to do monthly back ups but seems to be harder then expected......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I see we actually have a sponsor on EduGeek providing this sort of service: https://www.livedrive.com/in/2tb_syn...FWLHtAod61YAlQ
    Livedrive seem to be one of the best-value backup services out there, but I'm not sure how their system works in a network environment. I don't want to backup 150 individual workstations, I want to backup a bunch of server virtual machine images in a way that lets me quickly restore them should there be a problem, and I want a versioned backup of our network file areas. I'm thinking to have a locally-accesible, cloud-backed storage device of some kind - a server that makes a storage area available via iSCSI, and that storage is then backed up to the cloud somehow. I'm wondering if LiveDrive's service would let me do that - would it treat a bunch of VM images as just files to be backed up by one user?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Livedrive seem to be one of the best-value backup services out there, but I'm not sure how their system works in a network environment. I don't want to backup 150 individual workstations, I want to backup a bunch of server virtual machine images in a way that lets me quickly restore them should there be a problem, and I want a versioned backup of our network file areas. I'm thinking to have a locally-accesible, cloud-backed storage device of some kind - a server that makes a storage area available via iSCSI, and that storage is then backed up to the cloud somehow. I'm wondering if LiveDrive's service would let me do that - would it treat a bunch of VM images as just files to be backed up by one user?

I'm in the same sort of boat.. I want to backup a few physical servers to a cloud storage area for long term data protection...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I'm in the same sort of boat.. I want to backup a few physical servers to a cloud storage area for long term data protection...
    What sort of setup/monthly price would you consider reasonable? Once you start getting into "corporate"-style amounts of backups (2TB upwards), cloud services start to look expensive - I had a quote the other day for £1 per GB per month, and it seems there are places out there actually paying that amount. It has struck me recently that I can simply make my own backup service to undercut that price. I'm developing and testing a simple backup server VM on my home OpenStack cloud server at the moment, with the plan being to move that to either RackSpace's cloud service (about 7p per GB per month) or my own co-located server (around 5p per GB per month).

Thank Post
    What sort of setup/monthly price would you consider reasonable? Once you start getting into "corporate"-style amounts of backups (2TB upwards), cloud services start to look expensive - I had a quote the other day for £1 per GB per month, and it seems there are places out there actually paying that amount. It has struck me recently that I can simply make my own backup service to undercut that price. I'm developing and testing a simple backup server VM on my home OpenStack cloud server at the moment, with the plan being to move that to either RackSpace's cloud service (about 7p per GB per month) or my own co-located server (around 5p per GB per month).

I wanted to use rackspace as its very cheap.. how ever you have to use a third party application to run the backups.. too dirty for me.....

We currently have DPM for onsite 10 day backup.. but want a cloud service to provide a monthly backup for 1+ year storage...

We were with a company and paid £248 a month for 1TB but the backups kept on failing or erroring up and when it came to a real life DR situation we had to wait days for a external HDD with our data and with that had no permissions so was pretty useless... Luckily I set up DPM a few months before... we recreated a 2008 R2 server with the same name, installed the DPM agent and within 2 days 1.1TB of data was on the new server with permissions fully working....

I was looking at CrashPlan Pro by CeeJay.. only £15 a month for 5TB of data storage.. or additions are £40/TB so I was interested... I installed the software under 30 day trail and the UI was terrible.. I requiest support three times but they failed to provide me the answers to my questions so I gave up on them... Still searching on Google for a good company...

I would also like to add Exchange mail boxes and SQL to the protection...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I wanted to use rackspace as its very cheap.. how ever you have to use a third party application to run the backups..
    I figured I'd have a local server device of some kind to sync with the cloud storage. An HP Microserver or a 1U rackmount with 4 4TB disks in would be around £1,000, and that could act as a local iSCSI device. Disk performance wouldn't be great, but should be fine for writing backups, and you could write data to it any way you pleased - with the backup software of your choice, or simply mount the iSCSI drive in your VM environment and use its capabilities to duplicate data over. In the case of XenServer that's simply going to be a script that quiesces a VM disk image, snapshots it, then copies changed disk sectors from the live image to the backup one - other systems might need some backup software to do this for them.

You could even have the backup server duplicate its storage out to the cloud in real-time via DRBD or similar, although setting it to do non-syncronouse writes would probably be a good idea.

11. Thanks to dhicks from:

speckytecky (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    I figured I'd have a local server device of some kind to sync with the cloud storage. An HP Microserver or a 1U rackmount with 4 4TB disks in would be around £1,000, and that could act as a local iSCSI device. Disk performance wouldn't be great, but should be fine for writing backups, and you could write data to it any way you pleased - with the backup software of your choice, or simply mount the iSCSI drive in your VM environment and use its capabilities to duplicate data over. In the case of XenServer that's simply going to be a script that quiesces a VM disk image, snapshots it, then copies changed disk sectors from the live image to the backup one - other systems might need some backup software to do this for them.

You could even have the backup server duplicate its storage out to the cloud in real-time via DRBD or similar, although setting it to do non-syncronouse writes would probably be a good idea.

Look at Microsoft DPM.. .this is pretty much how I have it set up.. The DPM is using an iSCSI target to a 3TB NAS drive which basically writes a backup 3 times a day for 10 days

13. 2 Thanks to Theo:

dhicks (3rd June 2013), speckytecky (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Our business manager decided to go with oakford backup about 4 years back now and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with them. I used to faff with tapes every evening but now I pretty much do nothing regarding backups except restore files for dosile students and install the client on any new servers we get which is pretty damn easy. I don't know how much they charge now as the business manager still deals with the IT budget but it certainly isn't £100 a month(no way we could afford that!). I have just taken on a primary school and recommended it to them too (they had no backups.....whaaat!) and I will find out what their quote was and post it here. Either way 4 years, a ton of document restores for students and staff and one entire restore of a SIMS server....no complaints.

15. 2 Thanks to Wyvern:

dhicks (12th June 2013), speckytecky (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi again, I can't get hold of the primary I am starting at but I have spoken to the business manager at my normal school (secondary) and she says its about £99 for the year. We have a 100gb of space which covers our three fileservers, SIMS and VLE using incremental backups and also takes a weekly system state of each of them plus an extra couple of system states for our AD and TMG servers. Working out at quid a gig for a year is a pretty good price so on that note I can't recommend it enough!

17. Thanks to Wyvern from:

dhicks (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    Hi again, I can't get hold of the primary I am starting at but I have spoken to the business manager at my normal school (secondary) and she says its about £99 for the year. We have a 100gb of space which covers our three fileservers, SIMS and VLE using incremental backups and also takes a weekly system state of each of them plus an extra couple of system states for our AD and TMG servers. Working out at quid a gig for a year is a pretty good price so on that note I can't recommend it enough!
    Seems a bit *too* cheap.

Do they provide software to manage the backup?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 12th June 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Their website says £250 for 50GB for education.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Their website says £250 for 50GB for education.
    Where? I've just searched all over the place in Education and can't see a price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast