+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office365 + Outlook 2010 in Technical; Does each machine connecting to Office365 need to have Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant (IDCRL7) installed? Is there anything else ...

Thank Post

Office365 + Outlook 2010

Does each machine connecting to Office365 need to have Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant (IDCRL7) installed? Is there anything else I need to install on the machines to get it to connect?

Right now it's just prompting me for my credentials over and over again.

Thank Post
    You shouldn't need the sign in assistant no. It should just connect using autodiscovery with the username and password.

One problem we did have though was with soft deleted accounts (if you have an account of the same name, and a soft deleted at the same time, it can cause probs connecting with Outlook). When you delete something in O365 it sticks around for 30 days. You can perma delete these users with Powershell though.

Thank Post
    Download and apply the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant for IT Professionals RTW (Download Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant for IT Professionals RTW from Official Microsoft Download Centre) and then Office 2010 happily stops the request to keep authenticating. This was the only component we installed additionally to workstations when testing with Outlook 2010 last week, and it's been fine since.

4. Thanks to Boredguy from:

Trapper (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is always recommended to install the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant on any computer that is going to be access Microsoft Online Services (Office 365). It does resolve the issue you are speaking about and allows the clients to effectively communication with the services without any problems. You should look at deploying this to all computers on your network if staff are going to be using Office 365.

If you use Office 2013 then the Sign-In Assistant is not actually required with W15 Tenancy's it is built in to the Office Product Range.

Regards,
    James.

Thank Post
    Thanks! Think it was Smoothwall that was actually stopping the authentication (HTTPS inspection) but I've installed that program too. :-)

Slowly but surely getting there!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Thanks! Think it was Smoothwall that was actually stopping the authentication (HTTPS inspection) but I've installed that program too. :-)

Slowly but surely getting there!
    I have seen it work without that installed, but lots of things come in to play and it's just best to have that installed to ensure that it works properly for your end-users.

James.

Thank Post
    My next question is how best to setup Office365 profiles in Outlook for users. At present we use a PRF file/Autodiscovery.

How have others achieved this?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 10th May 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Assuming you have the users e-mail address entered into their AD mail field, you can just let the first use wizard run and it will autodetect the Office365 server settings based on their e-mail address and password.

I tried a PRF and it didn't want to play, but the wizard was fine. As we use roaming profiles for staff, we tested the account on different machines and they were only prompted for the initial account details the first time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Assuming you have the users e-mail address entered into their AD mail field, you can just let the first use wizard run and it will autodetect the Office365 server settings based on their e-mail address and password.

I tried a PRF and it didn't want to play, but the wizard was fine. As we use roaming profiles for staff, we tested the account on different machines and they were only prompted for the initial account details the first time.
    That's good to hear.

As they've already got a mail profile configured though, how would I get it to run the first use wizard, or do I need to manually reconfigure current users and just let it handle new ones?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have the relevant DNS Records in place in order for the client to perform an Autodiscover Lookup, It will do this and point to the Microsoft Online Service Servers for Exchange, In regards to authentication it will pick up that you are using SSO and then a token will be requested by the Online Service > ADFS Server and it will authenticate and complete the setup process.

I would remove the existing profile, and re-create the profile (control panel > mail)

Regards,
    James.

Thank Post
    I created a blank prf via the Office config tool and then assigned that to a user with an existing outlook profile

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I would remove the existing profile, and re-create the profile (control panel > mail)
    Bit hard if you have the control panel locked down for users though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bit hard if you have the control panel locked down for users though
    True I suppose, Forget this is generally Edu :-)

---------

See the following Blog Article which I have reference in the past, should help you out: Deploying Outlook for Office 365 in a medium sized business Part 2 | weepingapps

Regards,
    James.

Thank Post
    I created a blank prf via the Office config tool and then assigned that to a user with an existing outlook profile
    When you say blank, just how blank? Looking at our current PRF the only thing that's been customised in it is there server address. There's another whole heap of stuff in there though.

What's the process for overwriting the current profile then, did you run a script at logon or something?

Thank Post
    We use a GPP registry to update HK_CU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Setup with the string value \\Servername\Applications$\Outlook Profiles\outlook.prf

By Blank I mean run the Office configuration tool, and then export the default profile which as no settings other than the first run settings

17. Thanks to Boredguy from:

sonofsanta (27th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast