+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Office365 + Outlook 2010 in Technical; I'm still a bit confused about this. If we're still running our on site Exchange, and just want a few ...

Thank Post
    I'm still a bit confused about this.

If we're still running our on site Exchange, and just want a few users to use Office365, can I just change their emaill address in Active Directory for their account and leave it at that? Will it then go to the Office365 Autodiscover and add that to their profile? Or do I need to point them at a blank PRF still?

If I did that I guess they'd lose access to their on site mailbox?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 12th May 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Thank Post
    The E-mail address should auto propagate into the e-mail field when the Outlook first run wizard comes up. If you want them accessing both onsite and offsite mail boxes through outlook for the same person, then setting the accounts manually might be better

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Assuming you have the users e-mail address entered into their AD mail field, you can just let the first use wizard run and it will autodetect the Office365 server settings based on their e-mail address and password.

I tried a PRF and it didn't want to play, but the wizard was fine. As we use roaming profiles for staff, we tested the account on different machines and they were only prompted for the initial account details the first time.
    Hmm! Mine keeps prompting them for their password on each different machine they use? Even if I tick remember my credentials.

In the username box its coming up with their email address @domain.internal? :-S

So if their username is tom.jones@mydomain.com, when Outlook prompts it says tom.jones@domain.internal.

Looking here seems to suggest that it's normal to have to login on each computer.
    http://www.it.cornell.edu/services/g...utlook2010.cfm

"If you use Outlook 2010 on more than one computer, you'll need to perform these steps on each computer."

Have you cleared your local profile from a machine, then tried logging in and opening Outlook @Boredguy to see if it asks you for your password?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 15th May 2013 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Our staff have roaming profiles (unlike our students). On first logon to a machine we had to setup their o365 credentials in Office 2010 (we had to manually type in the e-mail address as we're using an alternative .co.uk domain instead of our .sch.uk one and updating the AD isn't possible otherwise the copiers won't e-mail the correct account).
    On next logon to that same workstation it launched correctly.
    We then tested it on a workstation where the user has never used before, and outlook connected straight away to the O365 exchange session.
    We have deployed out msoidcli_32bit.msi to all our workstations to ensure Office 2010 is happy with O365, but we will be moving to Office 2013 over the summer as that interfaces so much nicer.

Thank Post
    Hmm that's odd. We use roaming profiles too and each time a profile is deleted, or a user logs on to a machine they haven't used before, Outlook asks the user to enter their O365 password.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-25632a4a74d3

Suggests it's been fixed in an Office update although I think we're pretty much up to date on them.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 15th May 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    So using a blank PRF it comes up asking for the exchange server details?

I've put in their AD account their Office365 email. Hmmm? Any ideas @Boredguy?

Thank Post
    Very strange indeed.

Our staff test user still only had to enter their credentials once when they picked up the new PRF.
    Just logged it onto a machine it's never used, and launched outlook for the first time since last month and it's happily reconnected to the Office 365 account.

Must admit we've decided to migrate everyone over to Office 2013 over summer break and first term back so that we can make use of Lync as it's easier than having multiple copies of Office installed.

Thank Post
    I think I've figured it now. You say they have to enter their password. For us it's showing the first run wizard for Outlook for them to run through but its populating a lot of the boxes. Is this what you mean @Boredguy?

Thank Post
    Yep, it should do that the first time their profile is created, but then the data is saved. It's the same for Office 2013 but that does not require the additional msoidcli to be installed.

Thank Post
    I've found a registry key or GPO that will make the first time run wizard silent, and try and do it all itself. It should then only display if there's an error. I'll give it a whirl this week.

Thank Post
    Okay, so I think I am about there however on first run when it asks them to enter their password its coming up with username@domain.internal.

Any ideas how to get it to insert their email address as the username?

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have come across this same exact problem with Outlook 2010 and connection to Office 365 for Hosted Exchange email. After hours of messing around with it i did find a solution.
    On your computer that you have Outlook 2010 (and Office 2010), make sure that you have Office 2010 SP2 installed. I had 3 computers that would go through the autodiscovery process and to no avail would hang up constantly asking for the password. The Office 2010 SP2 comes in after a lot of other updates for Windows 7, Office 2010, etc... I have found on Windows 7 that Office 2010 SP2 comes in as an update by itself. So you may need some patience in getting all the updates done.
    Well after i got Office 2010 SP2 installed the autodiscovery works just fine, and then only asks for the email address and password when you go into Outlook 2010, not during the autodiscovery

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Necro! But with good purpose.

Our current on-site setup (Exchange 2007 + Outlook 2010) uses the /importprf switch on the Outlook shortcut to set up a profile. I needed to force the overwrite of the existing profile for a new one, without requiring users to use a different shortcut the first time they need Outlook after the switchover and without it triggering setup every time (as using /importprf with a new .prf file and OverwriteProfile=Yes set would do). Which is to say, I had the same problem as OP and got it worked out thanks to the tip off above from @Boredguy. I've set the following system up to do it seamlessly:

--

1:
    Create a new blank PRF file using the Office Customisation Tool and save it as blank.prf to a shared location.
    Open the file in Notepad and edit lines 9 through 11 to:
    ProfileName=blank
    DefaultProfile=Yes
    OverwriteProfile=Yes

2:
    Set up a new group policy, and in User/Preferences/Windows Setting/Registry, add two new items:
    Action: Update
    Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path: Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Setup
    Value name: ImportPRF
    Value data: \\server\share\blank.prf

Action: Delete
    Key path: Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Setup
    Value name: First-Run
    Under Item Level Targeting, set a check for If the registry value HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Setup\ First-Run exists

On both of these items, go to the Common tab and set the following Item Level Targeting:
    New Item > Registry Match
    Match type: Key exists
    Key path: Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\blank
    Then click Item options at the top and select Is Not

If your current Outlook shortcut for uses uses the /importprf switch, remove it.

--

This checks to see if this new blank profile already exists. If it does, nothing happens, and Outlook uses the already established profile settings to load. If the profile doesn't exist - in our case, the old profile is called outlook2003, but there was no blank - then the reg key to use the new PRF is set and the First-Run key is deleted if present (as it prevents the ImportPRF reg key from doing anything). When the user opens Outlook (without the /importprf switch), Outlook uses the reg key to load in the blank settings and set the new profile as default, then uses the AutoDiscover service to get itself up and running.

Sorted!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12