+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Email without Domain Hosting? in Technical; I have just purchased a personalised domain name which I would now like to use for emails ie myemail@mydomain.co.uk Do ...
    Thank Post

Email without Domain Hosting?

I have just purchased a personalised domain name which I would now like to use for emails ie myemail@mydomain.co.uk
    Do I have to get someone to host my domain (even though at this time I dont want to set up a website) to get the email side working?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts
    You'll need dns at the very least even if using something like office 365 or gmail for the mail side of things.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could do what I do, I run my own home business and dont pay for hosting.

I host my own DNS, using a CentOS server and BIND, my email server uses my DNS server. So what you'd need is your own DNS server but to be honest... You'd be better off just buying a hosted mailbox for your domain you can get them for a couple of pounds a month, because let me tell you this is not an easy setup if you want to do it. BIND is a bit of a monster to setup at this level. My website also uses my DNS servers. You ideally need 2 BIND servers setting up and configuring.

Where my domain name is registered I have changed the DNS settings in there. You will need static IP's for each server ideally also.

www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System
    https://www.isc.org/software/bind

Thank Post
    You can use a free ddns service DDNS – Free Dynamic DNS Providers | DNS Lookup which most home routers support and install your own mailserver hMailServer - Free email server for Microsoft Windows I think to use your own domain dame you need to pay for the ddns service but I used the free ones a few years back.

Thank Post
    Sadly google apps don't have a free option for new personal/business signups anymore, however there are other options. I've just googled and found a few, but wouldn't know which to recommend. You might feel more comfortable to pay someone a couple of quid a month to host your email, if so you may be able to get some cheap web hosting which includes email, for the same sort of price.

You'll need DNS hosting as previously stated. I wouldn't self host if I were you... too much work for very little reward. Your registrar (the company you bought your domain name from) will most likely host this for you within the cost of the domain. If not, someone like cloudflare, henet or pointhq will do it for free but there are loads of options here. You jusr set up your mx records on their dns servers. If you don't have a website, just don't put in an A record.

In both cases you want email to work, when you need it. I always think this is better off left to the pro's rather than a box under the stairs.

6. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

fiza (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I'd recommend some form of hosting rather than hosting it yourself at home. This'll mean you'll need a box acting as a server switched on for 24/7... not good on the electricity bills!

You could always add a basic html redirection (upload via FTP) and point to edugeek in the root of your web space.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who ever you purchased the domain from will be able to do DNS. No need to host your own or anything....

9. Thanks to FN-GM from:

fiza (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Who ever you purchased the domain from will be able to do DNS. No need to host your own or anything....
    I got it from GoDaddy but when I log into my account I cant see where I would change dns settings.
    I wanted to register my domain with outlook.com so I could have my domain email going through outlook.com but I need to prove domain ownership by adding a TXT record.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I got it from GoDaddy but when I log into my account I cant see where I would change dns settings.
    I wanted to register my domain with outlook.com so I could have my domain email going through outlook.com but I need to prove domain ownership by adding a TXT record.
    Sorry I haven't got a godaddy login, so can't help anymore than to say their domains do come with DNS hosting as advertised on their website. Perhaps check out their help section.

You'll need to prove ownership and change your mx records to the ones provided by outlook.com. I'd do them both at the same time, because it can take a few hours for DNS to propagate.

edit: scrub that... try this... http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...r-domain-names
    Last edited by IrritableTech; 9th May 2013 at 11:46 AM.

12. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

fiza (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Hi

If you have your domain with GoDaddy, then they can do your DNS.

Login to the GoDaddy website, and go to My Account.

From here you will see a list of services down the middle of the page, the top option says Domains, to the right you will get a launch button. Click it.

This will then open a new window, and show you all the domains you have registered with GoDaddy.

Click on the domain you want to manage, this will bring up another page which has a shed load of information on it and can be very confusing, but at the middle centre your looking for DNS Manager, and you will have a launch link you can click on.

Again opens in a new windows, but then you can add your txt records and change your MX records.

There is no need to host it yourself, GoDaddy will do it all for you.

Hope that helps.

14. Thanks to IKWeb from:

fiza (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    @IKWeb @IrritableTech Thank you guys done it!!

16. Thanks to fiza from:

IrritableTech (9th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread