+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office365 Domains in Technical; Is this expected? In Office365 I have two domains, mydomain1.com and mydomain2.com. At present mydomain1.com isn't really doing anything, just ...

Thank Post

Office365 Domains

Is this expected?

In Office365 I have two domains, mydomain1.com and mydomain2.com. At present mydomain1.com isn't really doing anything, just sitting there, however mydomain2.com is the one that I have federated and the one that I am playing with. mydomain1.com however is in use elsewhere, it's our onsite Exchange server and is working happily. When I try to email me@mydomain1.com from me@mydomain2.com however (remember this is the one I am using in O365 for email) it's just bouncing back.

Is this because Office365 sees mydomain1.com as being 'local' to it even though its role isn't set as email, and because any email addresses don't exist for this domain in Office365, it's throwing a wobbly?

Hopefully this makes sense. :-S

Thank Post
    Yep. Although your mydomain1.com MX record in your main DNS is pointing to your local server, as far as Office 365 is concerned it primary server so it's local MX record is itself.

Thank Post
    Even though it has no Exchange role set, the NDR is still coming from Office365. Bit of a faff to remove given I've used a subdomain of that domain for the Sharepoint, and of course you can't then remove the top level domain if it has a subdomain set in Office365.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Even though it has no Exchange role set, the NDR is still coming from Office365.
    I am under the impression that if the Exchange Role is not set for that domains intent that it should be routed via Public DNS and not try and route the email internally. I do understand where @Boredguy is coming from and it make sense.. but I don't believe that to be the case.

James.

Thank Post
    Certainly it's the case when we tried it last month, so we had to remove our primary domain even though it was not set for exchange. Thankfully I had another vanity domain I could use in the mean time while we do a slow move over.

E-mail sent externally to mydomain1.com will still arrive at your local box regardless of the office365 setting until you update your domains MX record.
    It is a shame you can't adjust the office365 dns entries, but for free we can't grumble over little quirks

Thank Post
    E-mail sent externally to mydomain1.com will still arrive at your local box regardless of the office365 setting until you update your domains MX record.
    Not sure I follow? The MX records for that domain are already set to on site Exchange? Are you saying that until I update them to Office365 DNS it'll just not work?

Based on my testing and experiences today James, Boredguy is very much spot on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Actually ignore me, the Domain Intent to be honest don't do anything it's purely to give you the right DNS Records. So basically as you have registered the domain in Office 365 you will need to setup an Internal Relay using EAC

Are you a W14 and W15 tenant? I will send you the details on how to do this?

or just open up a PowerShell console mate and run this command:

Set-AcceptedDomain Contoso.com -DomainType InternalRelay

If you are a wave 15 tenant I believe the GUI option would be as follows: Admin - Exchange - Mail Flow - Domains - Edit the Domain - Configure as Internal Relay

EDIT: For future reference, if you have MX Records pointing to Office 365 then you will need to setup an Outbound Connector in FOPE but that is not the case in this particular scenario.

Thanks,
    James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 8th May 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Not the blue one, the orange one. So W14?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Certainly it's the case when we tried it last month, so we had to remove our primary domain even though it was not set for exchange. Thankfully I had another vanity domain I could use in the mean time while we do a slow move over.

It is a shame you can't adjust the office365 dns entries, but for free we can't grumble over little quirks
    You are right, I was having a moment... The Intent don't mean anything anyway but yes I get what he means now and have explained how to fix that above. :-)

Not the blue one, the orange one. So W14?
    ok, go to Admin - Manage Exchange - Mail Control - Domains - Edit Domain - you want Shared

Shared = internal relay <Select This One
    Hosted = Authoritative

Thanks,
    James.

10. Thanks to EduTech from:

Edu-IT (8th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Spot on James, works a treat. Thank you so much! :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Spot on James, works a treat. Thank you so much! :-)
    No Problem, Sorry I was doing other things at the same time as replying to this and got myself all mixed up.. but yeah :-) sorted now.

Glad to help,

Thanks,
    James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread