+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Is Office 365 what I want? in Technical; Sorry, I know you don't download it - what I meant was that I can't see where to add the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Sorry, I know you don't download it - what I meant was that I can't see where to add the A2 Licence. Or even GET the A2 licence. Everytime I seem to end up on a different site!
    I signed up to it in my other school but I could only access the business trial and it ran out before I could convert it (SLT had it). Does it warn you ?

Thank Post
    Yep it warns you Witch. You have to provide a non 365 e-mail address when you register for the trial, and we had a few e-mails notifying us that our A3 plan trial was due to expire, and then giving another 30 days before it is completely disabled.

We "purchased" the A2 after verifying our school domain name, which involved getting SWGfL to create the txt file with the details it wanted for our .sch.uk domain. (However once we worked out that we could not then e-mail our onsite mail server using the same domain name, we removed the .sch.uk domain and popped in a .co.uk one for now)

Once you are logged in to the portal.microsoftonline.com site, on the Admin screen, click on purchase Services, then scroll down for the Office 365 Education A2 for Faculty and Office 365 Education A2 for Students, click add to trolley and then follow the instructions on screen. I selected to pay by invoice, and since it was £0 nothing much happens other than it says it will renew in a years time

3. Thanks to Boredguy from:

witch (7th May 2013)

Thank Post
    You've probably already got there, but just in case, this is the link I used:

Office 365 Trial sign-up

I've been playing for a while, but still trying to prepare something good enough to make it look easy in a demo to management... I don't think it's that complicated, but I never quite seem to get enough time to get my head around it. I use Skydrive at home, which I think works in the same way, and once you have the app installed and have signed in once (the first time you use it, not every time you log on), you can save in the Skydrive area as though it's any other drive. It then syncs files in the background whenever you have a network connection.

As @Michael says, some templates on how to set up sites for schools would be really handy.

And there are threads around which, if I've understood correctly, @jamesbmarshall suggests that there will be something like SSO for Office 365 coming soon which won't create a dependency on your server.

Thank Post
    Oh great - it looks like that because the LA are moving to office 365, we will be too and I will have no say in the matter.
    I have had a look and I cannot see how to do what I want simply and easily.
    Yay !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Oh great - it looks like that because the LA are moving to office 365, we will be too and I will have no say in the matter.
    Yay !
    If you're coming from RM EasyMail then Office365 definately isn't a backward step, so don't look at it like that. I think you'll find it much better for mail.

As for the file sharing, what do you use at present to do this? Edit: Ah. Dropbox.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    As for the file sharing, what do you use at present to do this?
    Light the touch paper and stand WELL back

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Light the touch paper and stand WELL back
    Pardon?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Pardon?
    It's just that subject might be a bit sensitive with Witch at the minute...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yay !
    If you are about, I can show some of the stuff you can do with sharepoint (even though I'm locally hosted not cloud) the principal is the same. Sorry, missed your other prod due to Remote Desktop being a pain...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We too are looking to move our email to Office 365 from an LEA hosted Exchange 2007 server. The LEA only offer us mailboxes of 2Gb. Part of the new Hwb+ Learning Portal in Wales is Office 365 integration however it depends on the LEA.

They are soon to set up an ADFS server and out AD is stored centrally. The sooner they go through this the quicker I can get things set up.

Gareth

Thank Post
    The email bit is fine - the LA will do it and that's OK by me.
    I cant even get the educational bit of Office 365 sorted as it wont verify my domain even though I did a change request that was actioned several days ago.
    Ho hum
    Sorry, I know I am being really thick but I cannot see how I would set up a secure area for the teachers to upload planning docs. I can see shared areas.
    Let's face it - I just want someone to do it for me - exactly like the people I meet on a day-to-day basis!

Thank Post
    There is no easy solution to this witch...

I am in the same scenario as yourself.....

I am currently trialing Google Apps / Office 365

sharing files with others is easy... as long as everything is uptodate...

Both can be accessed via mobile devices....which my users want!

Allowing access from home via TMG

Keep us posted on this....

Thank Post
    The email bit is fine - the LA will do it and that's OK by me.
    I cant even get the educational bit of Office 365 sorted as it wont verify my domain even though I did a change request that was actioned several days ago.
    Ho hum
    Sorry, I know I am being really thick but I cannot see how I would set up a secure area for the teachers to upload planning docs. I can see shared areas.
    Let's face it - I just want someone to do it for me - exactly like the people I meet on a day-to-day basis!
    Is this any help? It talks about sharing with external users, but I'm sure there's something out there about internal users. At least from this you can see the sort of things you could do with Sharepoint.

Share sites or documents with people outside your organization - SharePoint Online for professionals and small businesses - Office.com

Thank Post
    Stupid question - I have been looking at how to populate Office 365 with users - if the LA is going to sort out the email transfer, will they have to create the users to do it or is that separate? I'm not sure I understand how my user creation at my end will meld with their email moving at the other?
    If they are going to move our email doesnt that mean that THEY will create an office 365 account for the school? Or how will it fit if we already have one?
    Does a user log on to office 365 and then click on something for email and log in to it with different credentials?
    Thought I had it then but more confused than ever now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    To move the mail I would expect the LA to handle all of that for you and migrate the existing mail across.

You will logon to a specific website and that will take you straight into Outlook WebApp for the email for the end users so nice and simple.

Maybe @EduTech can be a good chappy and help set you up and give you a paw

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast