+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps and End User Profiles in Technical; Morning All I'm hoping to pick the brains of those of you who have already gone down the "lets move ...
    Thank Post

Google Apps and End User Profiles

Morning All

I'm hoping to pick the brains of those of you who have already gone down the "lets move from Exchange to Google Apps" route.

Basically, I get how I can transfer all the data using the Exchange Sync facility provided by Google, and I understand how to administrate things, etc. What I want / need to know is how would / do I go about provisioning the end user access via Outlook if that's how they still wanted to stay?

To expand, currently, they log on to a machine (be it for the first time or at their regular machine) and AD sets up their Outlook Profile to connect to the Exchange Server, they use their e-mails, everyone is happy. Can I get AD to do the same thing for Google Apps?

The office this is for is only a small one (not a school on this occasion) so setting up the individual computers wouldn't be much of a hassle, but if it won't auto provision, then hot desking would be out of the window, and as they have just purchased some shiny new laptops for the staff to share as well, it's kind of a requirement.

I realise the other thing I could do is full roaming profiles, but I'd really rather not if I can help it, so I'm hoping that there is a way to get it to auto provision to Outlook.

I have already suggested using the web interface for everything as whilst there would be a small learning curve, it would mean wherever they are, they have the same interface to access it all.

Thanks for any help
    Andy

Thank Post
    Personally I'd keep pushing to dump Outlook, but you can use it to access Google Apps using IMAP or POP or the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook... the latter is the way we do it for our few dinosaurs who insist on Outlook still!

It creates an Outlook profile for each user and they just need to sign in with their Google Apps credentials. How it would work with hot desking I think you'd really have to test, but it should be ok once installed on each machine I'd have thought.

Google Apps Sync doesn't support Office 2013 yet though so IMAP or POP only if you have new Office...

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answ...&answer=148484

3. Thanks to Netman from:

soveryapt (18th April 2013)

Thank Post
    It's the fact they want the ability to send "offline" e-mails if their broadband is down, so I've suggested Google Mail Offline, but that's BETA and Chrome only.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread