+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Full Offsite Cloud Backup Solution in Technical; Hi peeps, We are currently using DPM 2007 to backup our file storage data to a 3TB NAS onsite, which ...

Thank Post

Full Offsite Cloud Backup Solution

Hi peeps,

We are currently using DPM 2007 to backup our file storage data to a 3TB NAS onsite, which is working lovely.. 3 backups daily, 10 day retention.

I now want to backup ~10 physical servers to a cloud system. This will be system states, exchange server, SQL databases. Inc. our file storage server for weekly backups with a 4 week rotation.

I am interested in RackSpace Cloud Files, as they offer 7p/GB storage pay as you go with 8p/GB download which should be fine due to the fact that a download would be rare.. hopefully..

Anyway my question is, I need a client/software to run the backup schedules and send up to RackSpace Cloud Files. I have seen some tools online that RackSpace suggest but none currently offer system state, exchange & SQL backup. Any suggests?

Also it would be helpful to know what you use for offsite backups and what rotation/schedule you work with.

Thank you!

P.S I estimate the entile backup to be around 2.5-3TB mark.. possibly more.

P.S.S I have looked at CeeJay (formerly Crash Plan) but they do not offer Exchange/SQL backup, just file.. although you can run alongside another client to create the file and then use CeeJay to backup...
    Last edited by Theo; 11th April 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Take a look a Redstor?

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi Theo,

We provide offsite back up. If you drop me your details on a PM or email, I'll send you some info

Luke

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I am interested in RackSpace Cloud Files, as they offer 7p/GB storage pay as you go with 8p/GB download which should be fine due to the fact that a download would be rare.. hopefully..
    I'm not up with cloud storage costs at all (this may be cheap for all I know), but isn't this a very expensive way of storing backups? 7p per month per gig = £860 per terabyte per year, not taking download of restores into account (which as you say should be rare).

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    I'm not up with cloud storage costs at all (this may be cheap for all I know), but isn't this a very expensive way of storing backups? 7p per month per gig = £860 per terabyte per year, not taking download of restores into account (which as you say should be rare).

Meldrew
    We are currently paying £248 a month for 1TB backup with GigaSoft..... works out around 19p a GB.
    Last edited by Theo; 11th April 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    Hi Theo,

We provide offsite back up. If you drop me your details on a PM or email, I'll send you some info

Luke
    I emailed you...

7. Thanks to Theo from:

Millgate (11th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    We are currently paying £248 a month for 1TB backup with GigaSoft..... works out around 19p a GB.
    3 grand a year per Tb??

* blows out cheeks *

Sounds like a lot of dosh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I can recommend Datto's backup appliances - they are actually Hybrid cloud, so you backup locally and then it replicates itself out into the cloud nightly.

Thank Post
    We looked at this and it was actually cheaper to backup to encrypted tape and store offsite. Another option is if you're friendly with another school then you could have a reciprocal agreement where you backup onto storage at each others site. We did look at this, but as soon as it was mentioned to our lawyers there was some sharp intake of breath and talk of contracts and liability so we backed off from it. You also have to be careful of data protection as you will be storing sensitive data off premises. You could try the government purchasing portal who have pre-agreed contracts for this - CloudStore | G-CloudG-Cloud

Thank Post
    I'm currently evaluating 2 cloud backup providers - for 1Tb of data one company has quoted us £1400 and the other £2600 so it pays to shop around. Both have unlimited server/client licenses.

Have to say that doing restores seems to be an awful lot easier and quicker than Backup Exec

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    The main area to consider with Cloud Backup is how easily you can get your data back and the SLA for doing so. For example you have companies such as Databarracks who will charge anything between 500 and 1000 per TB per month but will get your data back to you within 24 hours (on USB drive with an engineer) and also start a restore (anywhere in the UK). You also have companies such as Mozy pro who will quite happily take you data for a fraction of the cost say £300 (its $380 for a TB). But for that to get your data back in the event of DR its a case of getting it over the wire or waiting longer to have it shipped on a USB drive. These are both companies I work with.

And the datto product I also mention above, is Hybrid cloud, do you have a 500gb, 1TB, 2TB, 5TB, 10TB or 25Tb unit on site, these units run a custom version of Ubuntu 10.04 and use a product called Shadow Protect to backup within each machine (whether its physical or virtual it doesn't matter). It backs these up to VMDK format which is actually bootable from 3 clicks of a button on a Datto appliance (there is a version which doesn't support the on-site virtulisation). These are then replicated out to the cloud at a frequency which is set by you (once a day, once every half day etc). And in the event of DR you can physically boot your servers off the Datto Cloud and run them from there - so in essence you can redirect dns records to the datto DC and run your infrastructure temporarily in the Datto cloud, once a new site etc is in place you can do the reverse and backup back to the new site and start them again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    These are the Amazon S3 prices:
    Amazon S3 Pricing, Pay as you go for Cloud Computing Object Storage

Standard Storage Reduced Redundancy Storage Glacier Storage
    First 1 TB / month $0.095 per GB $0.076 per GB $0.011 per GB
    Next 49 TB / month $0.080 per GB $0.064 per GB $0.011 per GB
    Next 450 TB / month $0.070 per GB $0.056 per GB $0.011 per GB
    Next 500 TB / month $0.065 per GB $0.052 per GB $0.011 per GB
    Next 4000 TB / month $0.060 per GB $0.048 per GB $0.011 per GB
    Over 5000 TB / month $0.055 per GB $0.037 per GB $0.011 per GB

Data Transfer IN To Amazon S3
    All data transfer in $0.000 per GB
    Data Transfer OUT From Amazon S3 To
    Amazon EC2 in the same region $0.000 per GB
    Another AWS Region or Amazon CloudFront $0.020 per GB
    Data Transfer OUT From Amazon S3 To Internet
    First 1 GB / month $0.000 per GB
    Up to 10 TB / month $0.120 per GB
    Next 40 TB / month $0.090 per GB
    Next 100 TB / month $0.070 per GB
    Next 350 TB / month $0.050 per GB
    Next 524 TB / month Contact Us
    Next 4 PB / month Contact Us
    Greater than 5 PB / month Contact Us

Thank Post
    I looked into this and it was way to much, I now have a 2nd backup server in a remote building (in the hopes that they're unlikley to both burn down. I also have a bimonthly encrypted backup on a 3tb drive that lives in the boot of my car! incase a biblical sinkhole swallows the entire school...

Thank Post
    For disaster recovery then amazon glacier looks good about $22 dollars a month for 2TB - keep meaning to get it setup here. Data retrieval is a bit more if you want it in a hurry but if the college burns to the ground then that is the least of your worries. If you have your backup server in a different part of school to your main servers then you are only going to need it in extreme circumstances.
    Last edited by maark; 12th April 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    3 grand a year per Tb??

* blows out cheeks *

Sounds like a lot of dosh.
    Redstor quoted me £666/mo for 3TB storage for all my servers and exchange/sql

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast