+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Everything In The Cloud - Best Way? in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd It does this. It's been on our Google domain for the last three years. - they ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It does this. It's been on our Google domain for the last three years. - they moved the functionality from postini into Google apps a year or two back. If you looked before this you would have needed to use postini.
    I'm seeing "outbound filtering" on the feature comparison list for the migration (we also need to restrict pupil e-mails to each other and staff, barring certain permitted external addresses for certain pupils) planned for Q3 2013. Maybe it'll be viable by the end of the year... but again I beg the question of why you would move to someone else's solution when you already have your own.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    I'm seeing "outbound filtering" on the feature comparison list for the migration (we also need to restrict pupil e-mails to each other and staff, barring certain permitted external addresses for certain pupils) planned for Q3 2013..
    you can do this with a content filter or by re-routing external mail to a bounce.

Thank Post
    Sounds promising but also something that would need to be trialled in practice... but either way though, as I say, it all seems terribly roundabout when we have a perfectly serviceable Exchange installation on-site.

Thank Post
    Sounds promising but also something that would need to be trialled in practice... but either way though, as I say, it all seems terribly roundabout when we have a perfectly serviceable Exchange installation on-site.
    I think serviceable is the problem: You have to set it up, maintain it, you pay for licenses, CALS, you pay for renewals on the hardware. It doesn't come with a document management system (that is extra) it doesn't come with photo management, it doesn't come with user site management and a host of other things.
    I save my money and time on licneses and hardware and spend it in (redundant) broadband. Its a different approach which works for us.

Thank Post
    As you say, a different approach. Setting up and maintaining these things is where my skillset lies and where my job comes from; without that there's little to challenge me. CALs aren't that much through EES now and our server warranty renewals are drastically reduced now we've gone virtual and there are far fewer physical hosts. On the CMS side, hopefully the new learning platform will take care of that for our needs. A separate broadband connection would probably cost us more than the combined extras of the above.

But whatever works in the end. The way both Office 365 and GMail are going, they'll most likely have enterprise-ready features within the next few years.

Thank Post
    CALs aren't that much through EES now and our server warranty renewals are drastically reduced now we've gone virtual and there are far fewer physical hosts. .
    We don't pay for EES - All that money goes on broadband and we just buy the 'odd' MSOffice license where its needed.

Thank Post
    That's because you're on FOSS though, if I recall?

Thank Post
    That's because you're on FOSS though, if I recall?
    Some FOSS, some cloud, Some propriety. It's a mixed bag.

Thank Post
    I've always found it interesting how the arguments for FOSS and for the cloud - while technically unrelated - often tend to go together (I mean in the industry as a whole, not individual organisations). Perhaps it's due to the influence of big players like Google, who traditionally will promote both.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @CyberNerd mentions the money saved goes on a second net connection. That would cost us a minimum of £40k per year where I am, as we'd have to leave the LEA connection and get 2 private fibre lines. That is more than any possible savings for us.

Thank Post
    Perhaps not quite as much for us but it certainly wouldn't be cheap and would most likely cost more than our current licensing/warranty renewals... we'd also miss out on the ability to have the hub nodes at our end and another local school's unthrottled to 100Mbps out of hours so we can back up to each other. But every situation is different.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    @CyberNerd mentions the money saved goes on a second net connection. That would cost us a minimum of £40k per year where I am, as we'd have to leave the LEA connection and get 2 private fibre lines. That is more than any possible savings for us.
    It is only on a redundant ADSL line - it's not a 2nd fibre connection. We may upgrade it to EFM now those costs are down significantly.

Thank Post
    Well, thanks for all the responses.

For some, they seemed to think that a cloud based solution wouldn't work because of a lack of a quality internet connection. We have one decent connection and are looking at getting another faster connection to use either just as a backup, or to load balance/backup. With Google docs, when you're working on your files it's not like you have to download the file, then upload it back to the cloud. So, it is really efficient as far as internet usage goes.

As we look towards 1 to 1 computing the thought is to go with something like chromebooks that would work well with Google docs etc. We would eventually look at putting some sort of textbook management app on there to provide them with their textbooks.

We will still have a lab though for now at least for Windows based programs we still rely on. I'm guessing there will be fewer and fewer of those though as the market for tablets/android OS based devices grows.

One issue we may run into is how to manage the chromebooks. We're not sure yet if the school will provide them or if the students will have to purchase one. The possible issue would be kids messing it up. So, I'm thinking we would purchase/own the units and then need some way to lock them down. Not sure of what kind of app we could use for Android os for that as of right now.

Any issues you guys see with that approach?

We are mainly focusing on using Google docs as between that and a web browser for internet research, there is little else that most students need. Even Adobe has a web based platform although I haven't tried it with an android os.

So, we rely on the internet so much already that it's worth it for us to invest in a backup connection. Some of the cost can be offset with savings on not need as robust of a infrastructure as far as storage and CALs for MS office, etc.

I realize Google is like big brother but as others have said, they and others can get your info in other ways if they wanted. Impossible to avoid these days, although sad at the same time.

One person mentioned not wanting to go that route because it might result in them not having a job. That is NOT a valid reason IMHO.

Anything else I've missed? I think teachers will still have a Windows based pc but use google docs. It will probably be up to them to what extent. Students will probably have chromebooks or a android based tablet. We'll still have a lab for things like video editing and things of that nature.

Still some details to fill in though regarding the students' chromebooks.

Thank Post
    ^ this is pretty much exactly the route we have taken.
    Sounds like you have thought it through. I think the biggest hurdle isn't going to be a technical one at all - that with staff acceptance as "that's the way they have always done it".

I totally agree that the days of native windows only apps days are limited and it is good that you are seeing the bigger picture.

Thank Post
    In this area of England there is a supplier offering leasing schemes for equipment such as iPads or Chromebooks (or full laptops - and I'm sure they're not the only people doing this!) whereby the leasing cost can be from as little as £7/month per device, with this amount being passed onto each child's parents. This would seem to be an easy and affordable way for families to provide this for their children while the school is able to cut costs significantly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast