+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Everything In The Cloud - Best Way? in Technical; You still have control if it's in the cloud, yes I agree that the cloud shouldn't be seen as a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    You still have control if it's in the cloud, yes I agree that the cloud shouldn't be seen as a solution for everything but purples attitudes that they lose control seem odd.

Ben

Thank Post
    It depends on how granular their control needs to be. I use Transport Rules to manage pupil e-mail bans and silent message forwarding in concerning cases using Exchange, for example, which is (mostly) possible with Office 365 but not offered by Google Apps / GMail.

Or they may find themselves in an environment where less-enlightened leaders will blame the internal IT department for a Microsoft/Google/other service outage even when there's nothing they can do...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    It depends on how granular their control needs to be. I use Transport Rules to manage pupil e-mail bans and silent message forwarding in concerning cases using Exchange, for example, which is (mostly) possible with Office 365 but not offered by Google Apps / GMail.
    Not sure what you mean - Google Apps can have rules for silently forwarding emails (eg. if they contain certain words etc...).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Which is basically a private cloud solution then...
    Depends on your definition of "cloud" - I'd stick to Amazon's definition, where a server instance (of which there might be many) starts without directly attached storage and is expected to associate itself with some at run time. The above is simply a server, with some disks attached, that's avaulable somewhere on the Internet.

Which would beg the question as to why you'd do that, rather than have it in your server room like most of us do now?
    In case of fire / flood / plauge in our server cupboard.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You still have control if it's in the cloud, yes I agree that the cloud shouldn't be seen as a solution for everything but purples attitudes that they lose control seem odd.

Ben
    Well you have control as long as you have an Internet connection or there aren't any issues at the "cloud" end.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Depends on your definition of "cloud" - I'd stick to Amazon's definition, where a server instance (of which there might be many) starts without directly attached storage and is expected to associate itself with some at run time. The above is simply a server, with some disks attached, that's avaulable somewhere on the Internet.

In case of fire / flood / plauge in our server cupboard.
    Plagues are a real concern for me - those locusts can cause havoc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having everything in the cloud requires some serious planning, thought and work in order for it to work, which to be honest due to some area's still in development it's not a wise decision to make although you can make a good start with some of the great services that are available to you at the moment.

Microsoft Office 365 Academic Plans provide you with Exchange/Lync/SharePoint & SkyDrive Pro for FREE which to be honest covers most services that you use in a school and are placed within a reliable global infrastructure, that you do have management over and even more so with Hybrid Deployments you can have the option to keep some mailboxes On-Premise if you so wish!

That leaves most of you to look after SIMS, AD/DNS/DHCP & File Services.... I assume some major upgrades will be coming to SIMS at some point which will make that cloud based although you could also look at other options such as Follett. AD will stay OnPrem as will DNS/DHCP and then File Services you may choose to move to SkyDrive / SharePoint although there is nothing wrong with keeping this OnPrem.

I know you have things such as Desktop Applications and probably other services which I have forgotten about been a while since I worked in EDU now but you get the idea.. You can move, and you can do it in a phased approach with the right planning and thought and using solutions that have been proved to work!..

Windows Azure has some cool things available to you which many people seem to be scared to look at! ;-) and don't forget Windows InTune.

Regards,
    James.

8. Thanks to EduTech from:

bodminman (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    We have here a Hybrid Cloud, a public and private combined. We allow all users to access documents via our own, custom built web based remote solution - Public and also allow staff our own VPN configuration that we built using the web - Private.

I think the future is cloud based computing, look at the way other companies and pretty big tech players are going, you will soon be creating user accounts and setting GPOs on a web interface pretty soon, this is the way its going - No specific device restricted applications and webapps.
    Last edited by SovietRussia; 10th April 2013 at 01:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not sure what you mean - Google Apps can have rules for silently forwarding emails (eg. if they contain certain words etc...).
    Sure, it has from/to etc, plus contents, but I'm thinking of a few I have on our Exchange where it needs to be "between distlist and distlist" or rules that allow pupils to send/receive with teachers and receive from pupils, but not send to pupils (owing to abuse); it's an important part of our e-mail sanctions policy. It doesn't look that granular from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Ephelyon; 10th April 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Sure, it has from/to etc, plus contents, but I'm thinking of a few I have on our Exchange where it needs to be "between distlist and distlist" or rules that allow pupils to send/receive with teachers and receive from pupils, but not send to pupils (owing to abuse); it's an important part of our e-mail sanctions policy. It doesn't look that granular from what I've seen.
    I think that can all be controlled in the admin panel and can be set based on OU group etc. Not used this feature myself so could be off the mark but found it under settings / gmail settings / routing which brings up a list of routing settings.

The ability to apply the settings to a group must be new as I have not seen that before but I rarely go browsing around the admin panel.

Thank Post
    The issue with the PATRIOT Act and the like doesn't have to be a problem for a British school if you use a European-hosted Cloud service that's decent (like... ermmm...).
    Glad someone else mentioned the "patriot". I speak about it here and people think I am nuts to worry about it.

All I can think the only thing clouds bring us rain!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    Glad someone else mentioned the "patriot". I speak about it here and people think I am nuts to worry about it.
    I think your nuts to worry about it. If the US (or any other government) want your data they will get it, whether its hosted on your servers or someone elses.
    In fact, I'd wager that its probably more secure entrusting it to Google/MS/Amazon and have their security engineers look after it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

It does this. It's been on our Google domain for the last three years. - they moved the functionality from postini into Google apps a year or two back. If you looked before this you would have needed to use postini.

Thank Post
    The issue with the PATRIOT Act and the like doesn't have to be a problem for a British school if you use a European-hosted Cloud service that's decent (like... ermmm...).
    Even MS say they do not meet the EU regs - EU demands answers over Microsoft's Patriot Act admission | ZDNet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Cloud based e-mail is absolutely fine and even the slowest of connections is capable of multiple logins to a web service. Cloud computing for files/images/music is still a long way off - certainly in the UK anyway. Fibre connections are available in a lot of schools, but they're operating anywhere from 10Mbps to 100Mbps in most typical setups.

By the time the UK actually gets multi-gigabit internet connections at affordable prices I'll end up retiring and I'm in my 30's now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast