+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 / Live@Edu - Change of Domain in Technical; Current Setup Staff using Live@EDU Email based on <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk Awaiting Office365 Upgrade New Proposed Setup Been informed school is changing ...

Thank Post

Office 365 / Live@Edu - Change of Domain

Current Setup
    Staff using Live@EDU Email based on <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk
    Awaiting Office365 Upgrade

New Proposed Setup
    Been informed school is changing domain to <schoolname>.com

What options have I available?

Register a new Office365 account for <schoolname.com> then:

1) Register the new <schoolname.com> email addresses as a connected account to their existing Live@Edu account? or
    2) Setup a forwarding rule from existing Live@EDU email to new <schoolname>.com Office365 Email Account? or
    3) Can existing accounts be 'magically' transferred across with the magic of PowerShell?

Also, what would be the best method of transferring existing folders across from user's <schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk email account to their new <schoolname>.com email account?
    PowerShell or with Outlook 2010 software?

Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi MYK-IT,

If you currently use Live@Edu I would wait for the tenancy to be upgraded to Office365, when this has been completed go ahead and add your new schoolname.com domain as another domain and then you will have the ability to use that as your primary domain going forward with the old .sch.uk domain being an alternative address. If you wish to then at a later date you can remove the .sch.uk domain name.

I do not see a reason why you should need to create a new tenancy using your new schooldomain.com domain, this will just over complicate things as you will then need to migrate your user mailbox data to the new tenancy.

If you do really want to go ahead and create a new tenancy, then you would go ahead and set this up and verify your new domain and make the relevant DNS Changes, You can then indeed setup a forwarding rule for your mailboxes but again it's just configuration that don't need to be done as you can add your new domain to your existing tenancy.

I hope that helps,

Regards,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Current Setup
    Staff using Live@EDU Email based on <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk
    Awaiting Office365 Upgrade

New Proposed Setup
    Been informed school is changing domain to <schoolname>.com

What options have I available?

Register a new Office365 account for <schoolname.com> then:

1) Register the new <schoolname.com> email addresses as a connected account to their existing Live@Edu account? or
    2) Setup a forwarding rule from existing Live@EDU email to new <schoolname>.com Office365 Email Account? or
    3) Can existing accounts be 'magically' transferred across with the magic of PowerShell?

Also, what would be the best method of transferring existing folders across from user's <schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk email account to their new <schoolname>.com email account?
    PowerShell or with Outlook 2010 software?

Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3. Thanks to EduTech from:

MYK-IT (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    As James has suggested, there's no need to over-complicate this. I'd recommend completing the upgrade to Office 365, adding in your new domain as an additional accepted domain, and then run a simple PowerShell script to change every user's UPN and primary SMTP address to use the new domain suffix.

You can, at the same time, set the old domain suffix to be a proxy address to allow your users to continue to receive mail sent to the old addresses; this is useful as it prevents people missing mail and senders getting NDRs unnecessarily.

5. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

MYK-IT (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks, makes sense and since found some articles stating the same thing.

The only issue now is that out of the 2 (original) Live@EDU domains we have, one was upgraded to Office365 last week but the main staff one (which we have had for years) has not been selected for upgrade yet; despite requesting it online and via an Edugeek thread here many months ago (to go on provisional phase etc.).

I've logged a call with Live@EDU support as i cannot log into the LiveEDU management portal, and they are currently saying that the (Office365) service has been cancelled!!?!*£

Noooooo, i've been waiting months for the upgrade option!!
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 28th March 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Regarding your problem with the upgrade...

At this point, the system is fully utilized upgrading other academic institutions which have been scheduled. The Live@Edu Team cannot commit to an ETA for the upgrade, you will get an automated email the moment you can start the upgrade. This automated email will be your 30-day notification prior to your scheduled upgrade date. You will also have a one-time option to postpone for 60 days.

It is a very busy time for them at the moment as I am sure you can imagine a lot of academic institutes are being moved over, look out for your mail! :-)

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

James.

Thanks, makes sense and since found some articles stating the same thing.

The only issue now is that out of the 2 (original) Live@EDU domains we have, one was upgraded to Office365 last week but the main staff one (which we have had for years) has not been selected for upgrade yet; despite requesting it online and via an Edugeek thread here many months ago (to go on provisional phase etc.).

I've logged a call with Live@EDU support as i cannot log into the LiveEDU management portal, and they are currently saying that the (Office365) service has been cancelled!!?!*£

Noooooo, i've been waiting months for the upgrade option!!

Thank Post
    Thanks @EduTech

I appreciate and understand that.
    Just don't understand why our main, original Live@Edu account/domain which was registered to express interest in being upgraded to Office365 has never been acknowledged (at all), and our other account/domain was done many months afterwards and is now Office365 based.

Therefore the upgrades are not being done in chronological order i guess??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No I don't think there is a particular order, I am not sure why it hasn't already been moved over if you have expressed interest early on.. but I'm not personally familiar with how they have chosen to do the service upgrades i know it's quite complex, @jamesbmarshall might know more...

James.

Thanks @EduTech

I appreciate and understand that.
    Just don't understand why our main, original Live@Edu account/domain which was registered to express interest in being upgraded to Office365 has never been acknowledged (at all), and our other account/domain was done many months afterwards and is now Office365 based.

Therefore the upgrades are not being done in chronological order i guess??
    Last edited by EduTech; 28th March 2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Managing these upgrades is a very complex process - the way in which we schedule upgrades isn't as straightforward as alphabetical or chronological, there are lots of factors that affect how and when customers get to upgrade.

Many customers have already upgraded. The best advice I can give is that you can contact Live@edu support and request your upgrade - you'll then be entered into the upgrade queue to be enabled ASAP. The upgrade process is very popular at the moment so we cannot guarantee when this will happen.

If you want the latest, check out: Live@edu

Thank Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Can someone (@jamesbmarshall) please assist.

Now been told that our main domain is no longer on Live@EDU, it has been cancelled!! and been advised to visit a generic link regarding Office365 on how to register!!

I have been registering and expressing interest ever since Office365 was made available....I just want my Office..3..6...5...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi MYK-IT,

I am assuming that you do not have any active users then on the Live@Edu subscription? Because if you did then it would still be registered, or are you using a different domain?

If you do not have anyone active at the moment, then can you not just sign-up to office365 with your domain name and then away you go?

Sorry If I am mis-understanding your situation.

Thanks,
    James.

13. Thanks to EduTech from:

MYK-IT (3rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Now been told that our main domain is no longer on Live@EDU, it has been cancelled!! and been advised to visit a generic link regarding Office365 on how to register!!
    Do you have the support reference number for the case where you were informed that it had been cancelled? Please drop it to me as a PM.

15. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

MYK-IT (3rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    HI @EduTech,

Yes, still using the Live@EDU system, it is our main staff email facility!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Do you have the support reference number for the case where you were informed that it had been cancelled? Please drop it to me as a PM.
    Thanks @jamesbmarshall

PM on its way.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok... I do not have access to view your support case so best to leave this one in the hands of James then as he will be able to see an overview of your support case.

Cheers
    James.

HI @EduTech,

Yes, still using the Live@EDU system, it is our main staff email facility!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Just an update, our original Staff Domain based Live@Edu accounts have just been upgraded to Office 365 (Plan A2) and completed yesterday!

I changed and notified staff of the correct URL(s) to use to access OWA email. The WebGUI layout is still the same (as Live@Edu) is this what they class as pre-upgrade? and a further GUI based upgrade is due in the future (its not the new tiles based GUI).

Also, now that i have upgraded, I have also registered the new school domain name that we will be using in the not too distant future.
    So if staff are using name@domain1.com for the email, and I have registered domain2.com what is the correct (and best) method of changing all the staff accounts to use name@domain2.com? whilist still allowing emails sent to name@domain1.com to continue to be received (during the transition period)?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 25th April 2013 at 03:13 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast