+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Newbie to Office 365 - need advice in Technical; I want to look into Office 365 but know nothing about it, I have a few probably basic questions which ...
    Thank Post

Newbie to Office 365 - need advice

I want to look into Office 365 but know nothing about it, I have a few probably basic questions which I hope someone can help with

1, what inbox storage do you get?
    2, does it automatically give everyone a sky drive account as such?
    3, it we are looking to move away from a local network staff share resources folder how would this be managed? via sharepoint site? if so how much storage?
    4, how does it link to AD for single sign on?
    5, can you link it to your domain name which is registered with 1&1 internet?
    6, what if your AD FQDN is local and does not link to you domain name that is registered

hope someone can help! or point me in the right direction

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kyle,

what inbox storage do you get?
    You get 25GB Storage Per User, To find out more information about features you get with Academic Plans then take a look here: Web Services For Schools | Office 365 Academic - Office.com

does it automatically give everyone a sky drive account as such?
    SkyDrive Pro gives each user 7GB of Personal Storage, Each user will get this as standard: See here for an overview of the features: Web Services For Schools | Office 365 Academic - Office.com

it we are looking to move away from a local network staff share resources folder how would this be managed? via sharepoint site? if so how much storage?
    If you wanted to move your shared network storage to SharePoint Online, that would be fine sharepoint sites provide you with workspaces, with customized security settings. SharePoint Online allocates an initial 10 GB of storage plus 500 MB for each user. This storage is pooled and available for allocation across multiple site collections. In addition, users can purchase more SharePoint Online storage in GB increments charged monthly. If you take a look at the Service Descriptions you can find out more information on the features you get in more detail: Download Office 365 for Enterprise Service Descriptions (pre-upgrade) from Official Microsoft Download Centre

how does it link to AD for single sign on?
    If you want Single Sign On, You will need to deploy Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) which will provide your users with SSO Capability's. You would also then use DirSync which will syncronise your Active Directory User Objects to Windows Azure Active Directory (Office 365) for more information take a look here: Plan for and deploy AD FS for use with single sign-on

can you link it to your domain name which is registered with 1&1 internet?
    I assume here you are saying that your Domain Registrar is with 1&1 and in which case your domain can continue to be managed here, and if your NameServers also point to 1&1 then you would make the relevant DNS Changes in your 1&1 DNS Administration Portal.

what if your AD FQDN is local and does not link to you domain name that is registered
    Your Internal Domain name will never be used with Office 365 Services, If you enable SSO then you will provide your users with a Universal Principal Name (UPN) that matches your SSO Domain but this is all explained in the articles above.

----

I hope that helps, if you have any further questions just let us know.

Thanks,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I want to look into Office 365 but know nothing about it, I have a few probably basic questions which I hope someone can help with

1, what inbox storage do you get?
    2, does it automatically give everyone a sky drive account as such?
    3, it we are looking to move away from a local network staff share resources folder how would this be managed? via sharepoint site? if so how much storage?
    4, how does it link to AD for single sign on?
    5, can you link it to your domain name which is registered with 1&1 internet?
    6, what if your AD FQDN is local and does not link to you domain name that is registered

hope someone can help! or point me in the right direction

3. 4 Thanks to EduTech:

jmak (28th March 2013), Kyle (27th March 2013), speckytecky (28th March 2013), Sylv3r (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Great succinct replies - thanks @EduTech

I'm working through a trial to help me put together a deployment plan too and have a couple more similarly basic questions - hopefully someone can help:

Email:

We currently use a hosted exchange service for email which is provided by our LA - it's clearly not actually free, but it's not split out as an item on an invoice and we'd continue to pay for it even if we stop using it. Therefore I don't want to migrate our email at this point. Can I disappear the Outlook tab or link it to the existing OWA accounts?

We're an infant school and we don't want our pupils to be able to email outside of the school community. Can this restriction be set? Alternatively, can we disable the option from student logins?

Accounts - what's our entitlement?

Does this align with our EES subscription - based on 39 staff users - or pupils on roll?

Skydrive for students: We don't have 1:1 computers, so the pupils each have a folder on \\server\pupils\name. Can this be synced to Skydrive or does the sync only work from client machines?

Thank-you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

We currently use a hosted exchange service for email which is provided by our LA - it's clearly not actually free, but it's not split out as an item on an invoice and we'd continue to pay for it even if we stop using it. Therefore I don't want to migrate our email at this point. Can I disappear the Outlook tab or link it to the existing OWA accounts?
    If you are looking at using other services provided by Office365 apart from the Exchange Online aspect then when you assign a user licence just make sure that you don't assign the Exchange Online Plan X to the accounts, this will ensure they do not have the ability to use Exchange Online and should in-turn remove the Tab. You can then go ahead and use Lync/SharePoint etc. as you please and again there is no reason why you can't use a Link within sharepoint to point users to your current hosted exchange infrastructure.

We're an infant school and we don't want our pupils to be able to email outside of the school community. Can this restriction be set? Alternatively, can we disable the option from student logins?
    Assuming at this point you have migrated over to Exchange Online, Then yes you could prevent the users from emailing externally by using Transport Rules. For more information on Transport Rules see the following Articles

What's New for Transport Rules for Exchange Online: Exchange Online Help

Transport Rule Actions: Exchange 2013 Help

Does this align with our EES subscription - based on 39 staff users - or pupils on roll?
    Because your are an Academic Institute, You are entitled to Receive PLAN A2 at NO COST please see the following to find out what you get within the Plan and the cost for subscription upgrades: Office 365 Academic - Office.com

Skydrive for students: We don't have 1:1 computers, so the pupils each have a folder on \\server\pupils\name. Can this be synced to Skydrive or does the sync only work from client machines?
    SkyDrive Pro uses a client which is installed on each Client Computer when you install Office 2013 you will need to setup the directory that you wish to Sync with SkyDrive Pro. For further information on what SkyDrive Pro is then view the following article: What is SkyDrive Pro? - SharePoint Server - Office.com and for information on how to Sync a Library to your computer see the following Article: Sync a library to your computer - support - Office.com

I hope that helps,

If I can be of any further help please be sure to reply,

Thanks,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Great succinct replies - thanks @EduTech

I'm working through a trial to help me put together a deployment plan too and have a couple more similarly basic questions - hopefully someone can help:

Email:

Accounts - what's our entitlement?

Thank-you

6. 2 Thanks to EduTech:

jmak (28th March 2013), speckytecky (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Great help again

Following on….

Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post

Because your are an Academic Institute, You are entitled to Receive PLAN A2 at NO COST please see the following to find out what you get within the Plan and the cost for subscription upgrades: Office 365 Academic - Office.com
    I was trying to work out how much storage I’d get on Sharepoint based on the info you gave above. The free for Edu package is very trusting….. If you wanted more storage, you could just add more accounts. Can’t see that I’d need more than what’s offered free, but seemed too easy to abuse.

SkyDrive Pro uses a client which is installed on each Client Computer when you install Office 2013 you will need to setup the directory that you wish to Sync with SkyDrive Pro. For further information on what SkyDrive Pro is then view the following article: What is SkyDrive Pro? - SharePoint Server - Office.com and for information on how to Sync a Library to your computer see the following Article: Sync a library to your computer - support - Office.com
    The directories aren’t on the client machines – can I install Office 2013 on the server and set to sync from there?

I have been reading – there’s just so much information it’s hard to filter down to the bits I need. And so much of the information out there is for different versions of Sharepoint too – even on the MS pages.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The directories aren't on the client machines – can I install Office 2013 on the server and set to sync from there?
    You will be synchronizing the directories to Personal SkyDrive Pro Allocated Space (7GB) and so the user would need to log in for it to then Sync. I imagine if you are using Roaming Profiles the configuration will apply as it will be stored within the AppData Folder I would assume and so therefore it should not require re-configuration. If you do not use such, then I will anticipate a guess that the users would need to re-configure the Sync...

I was trying to work out how much storage I’d get on Sharepoint based on the info you gave above. The free for Edu package is very trusting….. If you wanted more storage, you could just add more accounts. Can’t see that I’d need more than what’s offered free, but seemed too easy to abuse.
    You get 10GB Allocated Space on your tenancy, and IIRC the 500MB per user is there MySite Storage not your Team Site Storage and so therefore you would need to purchase additional space for your main sharepoint site collection if you went over the 10GB Limit. I could be wrong on this (don't do much with SharePoint side of things, but that is what I think..)

I have been reading – there’s just so much information it’s hard to filter down to the bits I need. And so much of the information out there is for different versions of Sharepoint too – even on the MS pages.
    The information that is currently around on the Microsoft Technical Websites are being updated at this moment in time, so you may find some information is not available as it is still being written although generally most things are covered. You will find a lot more for SharePoint/Exchange/Lync 2010 Online as that has obviously been around for a while now. The New Office which is based on Exchange 2013 Products is still in the process of being published in parts and you will notice this as revisions are being applied (see data last updated)...

I hope that helps,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Great help again

Following on….

The directories aren’t on the client machines – can I install Office 2013 on the server and set to sync from there?

Thanks again

9. 2 Thanks to EduTech:

jmak (28th March 2013), speckytecky (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    You will be synchronizing the directories to Personal SkyDrive Pro Allocated Space (7GB) and so the user would need to log in for it to then Sync. I imagine if you are using Roaming Profiles the configuration will apply as it will be stored within the AppData Folder I would assume and so therefore it should not require re-configuration. If you do not use such, then I will anticipate a guess that the users would need to re-configure the Sync...
    Sync with SkyDrive Pro, via Office 2013, is great on devices that are 1:1, but not so great for shared machines. You can't install Office on a server and use it to sync into SharePoint unfortunately, that's just not how it works.

Office 2013 allows users to save straight into their SkyDrive Pro areas, and you can drag and drop files via a browser easily. SkyDrive Pro isn't designed to be a backup for local file storage.

You get 10GB Allocated Space on your tenancy, and IIRC the 500MB per user is there MySite Storage not your Team Site Storage and so therefore you would need to purchase additional space for your main sharepoint site collection if you went over the 10GB Limit. I could be wrong on this (don't do much with SharePoint side of things, but that is what I think..)
    Not quite. The formula to use is 10GB + (500MB * number_of_provisioned_users), up to a max of 25TB per tenant. Additional storage is purchasable, at cost.

The 7GB SkyDrive Pro storage quota is totally separate, and does not count towards the 25TB.

11. 3 Thanks to jamesbmarshall:

EduTech (28th March 2013), jmak (28th March 2013), speckytecky (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post

Not quite. The formula to use is 10GB + (500MB * number_of_provisioned_users), up to a max of 25TB per tenant. Additional storage is purchasable, at cost.

The 7GB SkyDrive Pro storage quota is totally separate, and does not count towards the 25TB.
    Thanks, I couldn't remember how it worked... I remember 25TB being referenced somewhere but that brings back my memory.. cheers for clearing that up.

James.

Thank Post
    Any idea on additional storage costs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Any idea on additional storage costs?
    If I remember correctly, it is £0.13 per gigabyte, per month.

Cheers,
    James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread