+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Email domains & Office 365 (a real mess) in Technical; Hi all (A self inflicted mess) As part of a project to update our school website, a trusted 3rd party ...

Thank Post

Post Email domains & Office 365 (a real mess)

Hi all

(A self inflicted mess)

As part of a project to update our school website, a trusted 3rd party purchased the web domain 'nortoncollege.org' on our behalf when they built the site. At the time, we had no plan to utilise any email linked to this. However, now we do.

I'd like to add this as a secondary email domain to our newly accessed Office 365 site which had been set up for us by the local authority, until the domain nortoncollege.n-yorks.sch.uk

Our current email addresses are based upon 'nortoncollege.net' which are also Office 365 accounts, that were set up and looked after by our Learning Portal provider. Long term, this email domain needs to go away as we want to 're-brand' under the .org domain.

What I want to do is

>Add the nortoncollege.org domain to our LA created Office 365.
    >Create identical addresses under this (so where I have a SL@nortoncollege.net address, create a SL@nortoncollege.org one)
    >Migrate the mail boxes for each user from the .net, to the .org (Microsoft may help here?)
    >temporarily have forwarding between the two, while we alert people to the change.
    >Use the nortoncollege.org email

I'm stuck at the first hurdle. What information do I need to obtain from the web design people in regards to the nortoncollege.org address in order to add this to the LA version of Office 365?

Thank Post
    All you'd need them to do is the verification stuff and add some DNS records. When you add the domain to O365 it talks you through the steps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Add the nortoncollege.org domain to our LA created Office 365.
    Log in to the Office 365 Admin Portal, and add this domain to your tenancy and then you will be asked to verify the domain by means of a TXT / MX Record added to your Public DNS. Once you have done this, you will then be given the relevant DNS Records to enable Mail-Flow etc. for that domain on that Tenancy. (Ensure that this domain is not currently added to any other active tenancys, if so you will need to remove it from that before adding it to your new one). for further information see the following article: Add your domain to Office 365 - Office 365 for enterprises

Create identical addresses under this (so where I have a SL@nortoncollege.net address, create a SL@nortoncollege.org one)
    Once you have verified your domain, you will be able to give all of your users a secondary SMTP Address using the new domain. This can be done by running a simple powershell command and you can choose to make this your primary SMTP Address or/ a Proxy SMTP Address.

Migrate the mail boxes for each user from the .net, to the .org (Microsoft may help here?)
    No Migration as such is required, you just need to add or change the relevant email address to be your primary SMTP address.. .keeping the old one in place so that senders do not receive NDRs etc.

temporarily have forwarding between the two, while we alert people to the change.
    If you currently have access to the existing Office365 Tenancy for nortoncollege.net I would add the nortoncollege.org to this and then you can go ahead and use that one going forward without the need to setup a new tenancy. If you would prefer to use this one setup by your LEA (nortoncollege.n-yorks.sch.uk) then I would schedule some down time to remove the domain from the tenancy managed by LP Provider and to move the domain over to your Primary Office365 Subscription.

Any Emails Stored in user accounts, could be exported to a PST and then Imported into the new Mailbox which is located on the Primary Tenancy.

---

I hope that helps,

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread