+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps for Education - without Gmail? in Technical; Watching, with bated breath! Google drive doesn't want to sync from a network drive, so syncing from the client is ...

Thank Post
    Watching, with bated breath! Google drive doesn't want to sync from a network drive, so syncing from the client is not going to work. I've seen a couple 3rd party sync apps that do it (insynchq and syncdocs) but the costs are too high for typical primary schools.

Thank Post
    We didn't sync from a net drive, we did it on server which holds our home dirs, so local drive.

Thank Post
    He is a technical genius, to cut a conversation short, google drive was used to sync the local folder that houses all the user home dirs. thus new files created in the cloud are synced back to us, so we can keep a local backup.

Each individual user has it mapped to the google account. I'm not sure exactly how it was achieved, never went into detail. We are due to roll it out to the whole school when our BYOD goes live in September.

I can hopefully supply exact detail nearer the time, but first, I'm upgrading our edge switches to 2920 PoE+ ready for the ruckus wireless to go in summer.

I'm just the messenger boy, it can be done, I've played with it, but as yet haven't seen how it is all put together.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    He is a technical genius, to cut a conversation short, google drive was used to sync the local folder that houses all the user home dirs. thus new files created in the cloud are synced back to us, so we can keep a local backup.
    that's how we do it too. Goggle Drive syncs to homedirectory and vice versa. The homedirectory is then backed up.

Thank Post
    Sorry, still not sure I get it... :-(

I understand that it's possible to sync the home folders share on the server with a single Google Drive account. My understanding breaks down after this.

1) If we have 300+ home folders on the server, does that mean that all users' data share one user's 25GB allowance?
    2) Does the sync operate as a service or does the server have to be logged in?
    3) How do the pupil accounts access this shared G drive? Do the iPads all authenticate to google drive using the same account? If not, then how is access from individual accounts to the correct folder in the shared G drive enabled? Manually, one by one?

Thank Post
    How we are doing it:

Install drive on the staff users machine using msi file.
    They authenticate to Active Directory and SSO to Google.
    A subfolder of their homedrive (H: ) is synced to their Google drive.
    Allowance is 5GB per user (25 for email), but Google documents are unlimited.
    You can pay for extra space if you need it.
    When they log in the service starts, when they log out it stops.
    Clearly this doesn't work en mass for students using different machines. For student 1:1 with ipads it works perfectly though. And it works well for staff too.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the clarification CyberNerd!

I've played around a bit more and this is what I've found:

1) G Drive sort of works with the home drive set up through the AD user object, but not on a mapped network drive.
    2) The MSI installs but won't run unless you also have Visual C++ 2008 Runtime SP1 installed.
    3) G Drive syncs, but then fails to monitor the network location, bombing out with a "Sorry, Google Drive needs to quit. Error1784, 'ReadDirectoryChangesW', 'the supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.')". This seems to be a well known issue, to which Google responds, "Typically we recommend setting your sync directory, the Google Drive folder, on a local, internal disk. The application was designed for such use and while some users are able to install to network drives, it may result in unexpected errors." (Google Groups)
    4) Settings don't appear to be scriptable, GPO'able or MST'able. So users have to go through the advanced setup.
    5) Settings for a user are not part of the roaming profile, so users have to go through the advanced set up at each new system they log in to.

Perhaps, I've missed something. (I'm not normally quite this dull!) But, this hardly seems like a production solution for schools.

Thank Post
    I agree it's not good for schools, but the applies to apple based products. Products created for a single user use, then when it has a worth while use within a networked/ business/edu environment they do little to change it other that than to fudge a custom solution by us techies!!

Gotta love those multi-billion dollar companies :-)

Thank Post
    I've not seen error 3) that you describe - perhaps its something to do with how the network shares are setup? ours are on samba.

Thank Post
    May be its to do with:

ReadDirectoryChangesW fails with ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER when the buffer length is greater than 64 KB and the application is monitoring a directory over the network. This is due to a packet size limitation with the underlying file sharing protocols.

I can monitor files/dirs more successfully over a network with the .net file/dir monitor

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12