+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google Drive is Down! in Technical; Seems to be uk wide? Can anyone confirm? I submitted a support ticket. Causing us massive headaches - just had ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Google Drive is Down!

Seems to be uk wide? Can anyone confirm?
    I submitted a support ticket.

Causing us massive headaches - just had to tell 140 kids to open libreoffice for the first time in 2yrs.

2. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

sparkeh (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Very slow here, but I can get on. Google are investigating: Apps Status Dashboard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Very slow here, but I can get on. Google are investigating: Apps Status Dashboard
    Looks like they updated after I mailed them.
    PITA. Never happened before that I can remember - at least I don't have to fix it :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah slow but working.

Edit: Thanks! The wife put something in drive for me to print, totally forgot and this reminded me, saved me grief later tonight!
    Last edited by sparkeh; 18th March 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I hate to say it, but welcome to the world of cloud computing. We can't really complain considering Microsoft's and Google's offerings are free for schools!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I hate to say it, but welcome to the world of cloud computing. We can't really complain considering Microsoft's and Google's offerings are free for schools!
    TBH the amount of downtime it has had in the last couple of years has been so low, our fileservers have had more downtime for updates! The difference is that I can plan that!

Thank Post
    It's probably to go with the upcoming offering of Google Keep.. Google Keep Is Live! Google Launches A Note-Taking Service [Update: And It's Gone]

Thank Post
    Here's the incident report:

Google Apps Incident Report
    Google Docs March 18, 2013
    Prepared for Google Apps customers
    The following is the incident report for the Google Drive access disruption that occurred on
    March 18, 2013. We understand this service issue has impacted our valued customers and users,
    and we apologize to everyone who was affected.
    Issue Summary
    From 6:15 AM to 9:10 AM PT, some users experienced “Server Error 503” messages, long load times,
    or timeouts when trying to access Google Drive. Applications using the Google Drive and Docs APIs
    also returned errors. The issue affected up to 33% of all user requests to Google Drive during this
    period. Users could continue to access individual Drive files by direct link or URL. The root cause of this
    service disruption was an issue in the network control software.
    Actions and Root Cause Analysis
    At 6:09 AM PT, a portion of Google’s network capacity went offline due to a novel bug in its control
    software that surfaced during a scheduled network event. As designed, the Google network routing and
    load balancing systems responded within seconds, redirecting user traffic to other network connections
    and servers. The servers receiving the additional user traffic continued to function normally, and as
    expected, their latency increased with this load. However, the latency increase triggered a second bug
    in the software that manages user connections and sessions with Google Drive. This resulted in errors
    and timeouts for some users who were attempting to access Google Drive through the affected servers.
    By 6:15 AM, Google Engineering was taking steps to first mitigate the impact to user traffic and then to
    restore the network capacity. The Google Drive team also took actions targeted at restoring user
    access as well as beginning the analysis of the bug affecting the Drive interface servers. The network
    was restored to normal operation by 7:50 AM, after Google Engineering identified the control system
    bug and implemented a workaround. The recovery was prolonged in part because of the nature of the
    outage and the care required to avoid expanding the scope of the outage in the process of mitigating or
    fixing it. Access to Google Drive began to return for users at 8:10 AM, and the issue was resolved for all
    users by 9:10 AM.
    Corrective and Preventative Measures
    The Google Engineering team conducted an internal review and analysis of the March 18 event. They
    are taking the following preliminary actions to address the underlying causes of the issue and to help
    prevent recurrence:
    ● Fix the issue in the controls systems which led to the initial event.
    Completed. The Google Networking team issued a fix to the affected systems on the
    evening of March 18, and will release the fix to all systems within days.
    ● Implement a load balancing policy change to provide greater isolation between different services
    on the network in the event of a partial failure. This change will reduce the complexity of
    expected behaviors during partial failure, making software service testing easier and more
    deterministic.● Fix the bug within Drive and change internal structures and resources to make Drive far more
    resilient to latency and errors.
    ● Improve the Drive alert systems to address the delay between the initial incidence (6:15 AM)
    and the start of work (6:40 AM), and expand monitoring of Drive systems.
    ● Accelerate the work in progress that ensures user traffic for Drive is properly prioritized during
    network events.
    Google is committed to continually and quickly improving our technology and operational processes to
    prevent service disruptions. We appreciate your patience and again apologize for the impact to your
    organization. We thank you for your business and continued support.
    Sincerely,
    The Google Apps Team
    http://static.googleusercontent.com/...cxutklywep.pdf

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread