+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 with SSO availability question in Technical; Originally Posted by themightymrp If you have setup AD synchronisation with the Azure system, does that not then have the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    If you have setup AD synchronisation with the Azure system, does that not then have the ability to authenticate users when they try to sign on?
    No, because directory sync does not copy passwords to Azure.

2. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

themightymrp (25th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Bu**er. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    No, because directory sync does not copy passwords to Azure.
    Yet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    If you have setup AD synchronisation with the Azure system, does that not then have the ability to authenticate users when they try to sign on? So that, in the event of the schools AD system being down, people can still log into email?
    If you set up DirSync you can still log into Office 365 even if your AD is unavailable because Office 365 holds a separate set of credentials for your users; it is only if you deploy AD FS that you become that single point of failure that requires your AD to always be available.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Windows Azure Active Directory is the identity platform that underpins Office 365; it's an extensible service that allows customers and partners to develop solutions that can hook into the WAAD identities to use with other services. It isn't the same as your traditional AD, hosted in the cloud, but I think you've figured that out!

Every existing, and new, Office 365 tenant has WAAD at the core.
    Yeah that's what I figured out, althoguh I think I went arround 20 different sites until I found out that it was just what underpinned it, not holding the password.

It's such a shame that it doesn't though........

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Directory sync does not copy passwords to Azure.
    Yet

It's not nice to tease!

Seriously though, I realise you may not be authorised to talk about it, but I'm going to ask anyway: any estimate on when that might happen? Even a hint?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's not nice to tease!

Seriously though, I realise you may not be authorised to talk about it, but I'm going to ask anyway: any estimate on when that might happen? Even a hint?
    I don't believe any date has been officially published yet, but watch this space i can't see it being long now... :-)

I believe it was also spoken about at one of the recent Office 365 Conferences... so it's been put out there but with no dedicated information at present but this will be coming soon enough!

.. :P

James.

Thank Post
    It's not nice to tease!

Are you kidding? It's not often I get to tease, so I take the opportunity when I can!

We've been working with some customers on testing PCNS-style functionality with Office 365 but at the moment we have no more information to share publicly. As soon as, and if, I can, I will.

Thank Post
    I'm just looking into 365 and SSO. I believe that I'm going to have a hard time. my users currently use their domain login locally 'dcc-sch-4505' domain their username '06thomph' and password. They currently use owa for email which can assume the domain name so its a simple domain username and password again. The issue is what happens if I move them to 365? Their email addresses are firstnamesecondname@beaminster.dorset.sch.uk not username@beaminster.dorset.sch.uk?

What lies ahead for me?!
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 23rd April 2013 at 01:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Chazzy,

The current username can stay the same and will not need to be changed, when you implement office 365 with SSO you modify the users Universal Principal Name (UPN)... You will add: beaminster.dorset.sch.uk as an alternative UPN and then you will assign this to all users, the first part of the UPN will most likely currently match the username, but it is recommended to change this to match the Primary SMTP Address.

I hope that helps,

Regards,
    James.

12. Thanks to EduTech from:

chazzy2501 (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    @EduTech how will my users login remotely? username@beaminster or firstlast@beaminster . I suppose is it possible to have a office365 account login be different from their 365 email?

Also I assume I can have multiple email addresses for my staff?

Should I create a new mailbox policy on my exchange 2007 to give every pupil a primary smtp of username@beaminster and get them using that... (dunno how to do that retrospectively but I'm sure you can)

I don't suppose it's possible to make a office 365 use local domain logins with a custom portal?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    @EduTech how will my users login remotely? username@beaminster or firstlast@beaminster . I suppose is it possible to have a office365 account login be different from their 365 email?

Also I assume I can have multiple email addresses for my staff?

Should I create a new mailbox policy on my exchange 2007 to give every pupil a primary smtp of username@beaminster and get them using that... (dunno how to do that retrospectively but I'm sure you can)

I don't suppose it's possible to make a office 365 use local domain logins with a custom portal?
    They would login with what ever is specified as the UPN, You can technically use the username as the UPN as I say and then just have the Primary SMTP address but I always find you sometimes get problems with some devices if this is the case.

You can have multiple email address, if you have different domains just ensure that they are verified in office 366/

You can do that, If you want people's Primary SMTP Address to be the username@domain.com then you can do this, normally people would prefer to keep their current email address as the primary SMTP address.

Nope, with SSO you need to use ADFS & DirSync and use the UPN to authenticate and it has to be a federated domain (public domain) not an internal domain.

Regards,
    James.

15. Thanks to EduTech from:

chazzy2501 (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Just touching on the SSO bit of information and the Single Point of Failure with ADFS - it might be worth considering RM Unify (Discover: RM Unify) which allows you single sign on to a multitude of Cloud Education Service Providers, but also Google Apps and/or Office365 Suite. It also integrates with your own AD (Vanilla etc)

Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfin2000 View Post
    Just touching on the SSO bit of information and the Single Point of Failure with ADFS - it might be worth considering RM Unify (Discover: RM Unify) which allows you single sign on to a multitude of Cloud Education Service Providers, but also Google Apps and/or Office365 Suite. It also integrates with your own AD (Vanilla etc)

Rich
    We're looking at this. The pricing is really good too. When you look at what others are charging for similar services, you're talking £XXXX's.

18. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

funkyfin2000 (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Are you kidding? It's not often I get to tease, so I take the opportunity when I can!

We've been working with some customers on testing PCNS-style functionality with Office 365 but at the moment we have no more information to share publicly. As soon as, and if, I can, I will.
    So if we implement PCNS like we have for Live@Edu by editing settings in the version of FIM hidden inside DirSync, it might work for 365?

Obviously not supported by Microsoft. But is that basically what you are doing with test customers?

I'm curious and want to go try this out now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast