+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, GMail for Education - Seperate Staff from Students in Technical; Hi, question for those out there using Google Apps for Education particularly the GMail element. We current have staff using ...

Thank Post

GMail for Education - Seperate Staff from Students

Hi, question for those out there using Google Apps for Education particularly the GMail element. We current have staff using gmail at mydomain.com We now want to offer to students Gmail/GDrive and Calendar only and can control all of that via the Control Dashboard. We have now set up a separate sub domain students.mydomain.com. I have read many forums about the "garden wall" where Students can be denied access to the Staff email accounts but cannot find any instructions on how this is completed. Any body out there offer advice on how this can be achieved? TIA

Thank Post
    We have ours set up using Organization Units. Each OU has email settings under settings->email that control inbound and outbound settings including creating a walled garden only allowing students can not email staff. This will not eliminate the ability for them to share docs or calendars. The other issue with a walled garden is that we found students were not being notified when documents were being shared with them as the notification email came from outside the walled domain.

3. Thanks to antmanvolpe from:

jimmckenna (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    I didn't completely understand what you're after, so forgive me if this is off base. We have set restrictions on some of our users which prevent them from sending to or receiving from any domain except our own, in effect creating an internal mail server. If you want me to hunt out how I did this, let me know and I'll copy out the steps.

One question though - why do you want to prevent your pupils from being able to email your teachers?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I didn't completely understand what you're after, so forgive me if this is off base. We have set restrictions on some of our users which prevent them from sending to or receiving from any domain except our own, in effect creating an internal mail server. If you want me to hunt out how I did this, let me know and I'll copy out the steps.

One question though - why do you want to prevent your pupils from being able to email your teachers?!
    Yes please if you would be so kind,
    Have many projects and this is one of them.

Thank Post
    Dashboard > Settings > Email (from Services list on the left) > select Organisation (from top pane on right-hand side) > scroll down to "Restrict Delivery" > Click "Use an existing list or create a new one" > enter a name for the list, e.g. pupil domain > create the list (returns to earlier screen) > point to the list you have just created and click "edit" in the options which appear next to it > click to add a domain > enter the domain names which you wish to ALLOW, all others will be blocked inbound and outbound > click "save" > click "add setting".

Hopefully that will get you there, but give me a shout it you get stuck...

7. 2 Thanks to enjay:

jimmckenna (5th March 2013), MrPstv (27th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi, Thanks to enjay and Hamzah. Have now got the system set up the way the school requires both your posts pointed me in the right direction. Cheers!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread