Cloud Services Thread, Connection between Office 365 and Outlook dropping out in Technical; I've been trialling Office 365 for about a month now before we roll it out to all staff, the OWA ...
18th December 2012, 05:37 PM #1
Connection between Office 365 and Outlook dropping out
I've been trialling Office 365 for about a month now before we roll it out to all staff, the OWA works great, so good we have migrated the students from our in house exchange 2003 and they are using it with ease.
I have come across a small problem though, when I have set up outlook to connect to my office 365 account, it works for a while then I get a yellow exclamation mark in the bottom right corner and instead of saying "Connected to Exchange", it says "Trying to connect" I thought it was because of the encrypt connection to exchange setting, but have just noticed even when this is unticked the problem still occurs.
I have seen 1 other thread on here about this, but the OP didn't get any replies, here is a link to the original post Office 365 connection problems...
Has anyone come across this problem? does anyone know how to fix it?
IDG Tech News
18th December 2012, 07:24 PM #2
I suppose the first question is what do you route through to get to the net filtering/firewall wise?
18th December 2012, 07:34 PM #3
Use the Exch RCA and see what that reports and post the results.
18th December 2012, 07:46 PM #4
I have not seen this happen yet in the deployments that I have done, but it would be interesting to know what kind of connection you have, (Filtering? Proxy? etc.) using the link that Sukh provided ensure that all your external connectivity is okay.
What kind of internet connection do you have btw?
18th December 2012, 09:38 PM #5
From what I can see in that, https for my autodiscover is not enabled. Apart from hat I'm not too sure
18th December 2012, 09:49 PM #6
A bit of additional info, when I run the autodiscover tests, sometimes it times out and I have to run the test again.
18th December 2012, 09:55 PM #7
I recommend you remove your email address from the above posts mate, maybe upload screenshots and blur out your personal information sir.
Upload the images, with all tests expanded.
I can see that you the correct CNAME DNS Entry for autodiscover point to autodiscover.outlook.com
You are not using a Hybrid Deployment are you?
18th December 2012, 10:01 PM #8
Did you create all the appropioate records? It seems like the SRV for autodiscover worked?
Did you a CNAME for autodiscover?
External DNS Records
Use a CNAME Record to Enable Outlook to Connect
18th December 2012, 10:05 PM #9
What sort of an internet connection do you have?
Can you monitor the internet link? For any packet loss?
18th December 2012, 10:07 PM #10
Cheers for that @EduTech, I'm on the ipad at home, I'll upload screenshots in the morning, I'm using a hybrid at the moment, as soon as everything works with outlook, I'll be moving across to a full office 365 solution, we have the kids on it at the moment, I just need to get the mx records setup when all the staff are migrated across.
Is that the right way to do it, migrate mailboxes to office 365, let staff connect to OWA while mx records are changed at LEA to point to office 365 and then switch off the exchange server. Please tell me if that's not the recommended route.
18th December 2012, 10:12 PM #11
@sukh I did get the lea to create a CNAME record for autodiscover, it took a few phone calls, but when I do a nslookup on it, it points to autodiscover.outlook.com like it should do.
I'm on the CLEO network for broadband, so it's whatever is provided by BTOneconnect ltd.
18th December 2012, 10:13 PM #12
If you have a Hybrid Deployment the External Autodiscover Record should point to the External IP Address of your Exchange 2010 Hybrid Server. The Hybrid Server is then clever enough to know when a mailbox on Exchange Online or OnPrem and then re-directs the request accordingly. (or at least that is how i have always done it)
Originally Posted by dezt
18th December 2012, 10:16 PM #13
The MX Records should stay pointing to your OnPrem at the moment, it will handle the mailflow and then when you have your mailboxes moved over you can then point the MX Records to Exchange Online.
Originally Posted by dezt
The same goes for the autodiscover record, this should point to OnPrem and then when you have migrated over you should then create the CNAME and point it to autodiscover.outlook.com.
18th December 2012, 10:18 PM #14
I think I have an issue then, I don't have an exchange 2010 box, mine is an exchange 2003, should I migrate the mailboxes over the Christmas holidays and get the mx records changed then?
18th December 2012, 10:25 PM #15
@EduTech looking at your last post, my problem is where the autodiscover is pointing to, it looks like I have a setup that points both to the exchange server we have, and to autodiscover.outlook.com, that may be confusing things.
By pandster in forum Cloud Services
Last Post: 16th September 2013, 04:33 PM
By mbedford in forum Cloud Services
Last Post: 27th February 2013, 08:34 PM
By pmdc199 in forum Cloud Services
Last Post: 12th September 2012, 09:33 AM
By djones in forum Cloud Services
Last Post: 30th July 2012, 02:42 PM
By mac_shinobi in forum Windows
Last Post: 9th May 2007, 07:18 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)