+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Eclipse.NET and Overdrive in Technical; Hi guys, is anyone perchance using Microlibrarian's Eclipse.NET hosted with Overdrive? (e-book loans system) Getting a lot of crossed wires ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 868 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eclipse.NET and Overdrive

Hi guys, is anyone perchance using Microlibrarian's Eclipse.NET hosted with Overdrive? (e-book loans system)
    Getting a lot of crossed wires with setups and trying to find out how others are doing it. Not impressed with Overdrive for it's enormous cost so far but will pass judgement on it when it's actually working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Not yet although I suggested they look at it after a member of our powers that be decided that we need Kindles and then I pointed them to the T&Cs and various articles online about there use in Education in the UK that show they are not brilliant yet until Amazon sort out the UK Education stuff which they seem to be getting better at in the USA.

So would be keen to hear what people have done with it / IF they have done anything with Overdrive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There are certainly better alternatives out from what I'm told but as we've already paid... (grumble!)
    I'll put any updates here anyway

Thank Post

Eclipse.NET and Overdrive

What are the better alternatives?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The name escapes me. It won't be difficult to better something that's almost entirely stateside and has limited support hours (i.e. nearly opposite to our operating hours) and costs £don'tbesoridiculous. I'll find out tomorrow.

Thank Post
    I’m in exactly the same boat as you…

Eclipse.net and over drive
    Though I have two primary sites also using junior.net

But I have to say overdrive and the whole process is completely frustrating. First of all the setup comes via the USA, so they can only help me set it up after 2pm in the afternoon.
    I got all my techies together what I thought was going to be a very technical process… but 5 minutes into the process I asked her what was the point of this conference call, as I thought it was some technical configurations. All it was is part description of the overdrive market place and the other part filling in a form.
    She then asked me when I would like to go live with it to which I said NOW, to which she responded she need to get the website setup for me and there is training of staff, the normal time frame is about 8 weeks.
    This means it will of taken 3 months from placing purchase order to actually using the product.
    I’ve yet to complain to MLS, but there is a lack of communication between the two companies Overdrive wanted information from me that only MLS have since they are hosting eclipse.net for me.
    I would say now if you’re thinking about overdrive…. Avoid….

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Thanks for the feedback @spacevortex can I ask that you push that to MLS as I am sure they are keen to know that feedback, if you feel your rep won't help / be interested as they sell you it, Andy the MD will be more than happy to hear from you I am sure as they are a company that likes feedback and works on it. I know I had some issues with self-hosted Eclipse.net and the iMLS App which myself and @robk got working with help from the team at MLS and that took a bit of poking but we got it going and its a great tool

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I've not been able to speak to our librarian before closing today to find out about that alternative. We're still not much closer to launching in the new year but hopefully will have some answers then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We looked at overdrive but we put off by the high costs. Be careful with kindles as they seem not to cope with the drm for library systems! Would be very interested to hear what other schools have implemented.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, doesn't look like Overdrive is suited to anything more than single users. It requires the use of DRM burglar "Adobe Digital Editions" which is a single user oriented system with no apparent enterprise/education/business level counterpart. Early days yet but it's one hell of a convoluted system.

That other system is the other side of the globe - NZ/Australia - info » ebooks but apparently do stuff UK side too. We're talking a few hundred instead of a few thousand, pricewise.

Thank Post
    Hi Guys

We have purchased eclipse.net and overdrive and are in the final stages of getting it up and running.
    Our eclipse.net site is up and running and the overdrive site is setup.
    We have bought a few ebooks for testing. We have purchased 30 kobo touch ereaders for use in the school as a pilot.
    To download the ebooks you need to have adobe digital editions installed on your machine. You also need to create an adobe ID. Which you create and its free! You dont even have to use a legit email it can be anything. For example lib01@test.local. This ID is then used to authorize your kobo ereader and your PC.
    This is where stuff gets tricky. The PC and ereader has to use the same adobe id for the Digital Rights Management to work. Here is the catch you cannot register more than 6 devices under one adobe ID.
    So we basically registered 3 pc's and 3 ereaders per adobe ID in our library. We then logged off and then back on as another user and it says the computer is no longer authorized. Strange. So when you authorize your computer it doesnt look like it actually authorizes the PC more it authorizes the user.
    This throws a spanner in the works as staff and students cant be de authorizing and re authorizing accounts and if a user leaves it authorized on their user and doesnt de authorize then you use the 6 authorizations you have and can't authorizing anything else until you de authorize one of the devices.
    The only thing we can think of currently is to create a user account for the adobe account and register the adobe ID under this account. This means that students would need to logon as a library user that has been authorized under an adobe ID say lib01@test.local and then also get a ereader that is authorized under the same adobe ID to transfer a book. Not ideal but it will work. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by broadld; 8th February 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @broadld, don't bother - there's a new system they're bringing out which allows you to read the books in browsers. It's 6 devices for a reason (Adobe Digital Editions) - that's to cover your home PC, laptop, tablet, phone and perhaps work PC. Not 6 network computers. I suggest you also check adobe's license on that - naughty naughty!

If you'd like any further information on that MLS will be more than happy to keep you up to date.

I would strongly suggest that NOONE does the above with Digital Editions.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 8th February 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Thank Post
    @synaesthesia We are aware of reading these in a web browser but reading a book on a pc gives eye strain and is much easier reading on an ereader.
    All of my post has been advised by MLS, overdrive and direct with Adobe so can be legally carried out. The only downside is that adobe ID which manages the Digital Right Management is focused on single user and not organisations or schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So why bother with Adobe Editions then? It's diabolical and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a school network! (Not far behind a lot of other Adobe software though to be honest!)

Thank Post
    We need adobe digital editions to transfer Digital Right Manage protected books to ereaders there is no other way to transfer them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast