Poll: What do you use...? Google Apps, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Office.

+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps, Microsoft 365 or local Microsoft? in Technical; Hi all, I was just wondering what percentage of schools use Google Apps, Microsoft 365 or locally installed Microsoft. I'd ...
    Thank Post

Google Apps, Microsoft 365 or local Microsoft?

Hi all,

I was just wondering what percentage of schools use Google Apps, Microsoft 365 or locally installed Microsoft. I'd appreciate it if you could just let me know what you use. it would be interesting to know if you use Google Apps - what do the staff use?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    I marked other, we have google apps for staff and students, but they also have MS Office locally.
    The question I would like to know is do schools use both Office 365 and Google Apps?

We went Google two years ago and I don't look forward to changeing email providers again. I just read about the new office 2013 integration with office 365 and wonder if it would be good to support both GAFE and Office 365 for documents?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dana_lehman View Post
    I marked other, we have google apps for staff and students, but they also have MS Office locally.
    The question I would like to know is do schools use both Office 365 and Google Apps?
    This .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dana_lehman View Post

We went Google two years ago and I don't look forward to changeing email providers again. I just read about the new office 2013 integration with office 365 and wonder if it would be good to support both GAFE and Office 365 for documents?
    Think of it this way, when you make a 365 account and move over for sharepoint/skydrive pro/exchange you will still have your google apps account too, it wont stop working, you just route the mx records to MS instead basically. If both are AD federated then people dont even need to worry about logging in to each.
    You can also say have say pupils on google apps mail but staff on o365 exchange, it requires a bit of thought but I have that basically setup right now.

Thank Post
    I’m not worried about any technical difficulty; I’m worried about the mob of staff that will be looking for me. We have an EES agreement and I think we get plan a2 with that. It is just a point of curiosity right now. On one hand adding a new service will add confusion and will inhibit the sharing of documents if users are using both.
    On the other hand I could provide flexibility and a choice to the users.
    I would not want to use the exchange part because of the mob with pitch forks outside my office, but I think when office 2013 comes around users will ask about saving to skydirve etc. I would rather have office 365 skydrives then have a teacher telling students to create or use a personal account.
    Our school subscribes to curriculum that teaches the latest office, depending on how fast they update I expect to be installing office 2013 for next falls curriculum . I have plenty of time to play with office 2013 before then. Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but thought this would be a good place to put out my curiosity, and see if this is something other schools do.

Thank you,

Thank Post
    Hi Netman,

We use Microsoft Office throughout the school, but are considering MS 365, just to go cloud based. We tried Google Docs, but we had so many issues with it - mainly the service 'hanging' and staff not wanting to log into something else just to get student work! We gave up on it in the end as it was more hastle than it was worth.

7. Thanks to NetmanDarrell from:

NetmanDH (2nd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NetmanDarrell View Post
    We tried Google Docs, but we had so many issues with it - mainly the service 'hanging' and staff not wanting to log into something else just to get student work! We gave up on it in the end as it was more hastle than it was worth.
    Didn't you integrate it with Office? or using Google drive linked to their homedrive through SSO? staff shouldn't need to sign in to something else just to get student work!
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/cloudconnect
    Install Google Drive on your computer - Google Drive Help

Thank Post
    We use google apps and google apps sync so that staff can still use outllook - works pretty well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread