+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Email Segregation in Technical; We set up 2 Gals, 1 for students and one for teachers. Teachers can see students but not the other ...

Thank Post
    We set up 2 Gals, 1 for students and one for teachers. Teachers can see students but not the other way around.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltflanagan View Post
    We set up 2 Gals, 1 for students and one for teachers. Teachers can see students but not the other way around.
    Any chance you can outline how you did this? This is exactly what I am trying to do (although I would be really happy if the student GAL was empty! If students see nothing on the GAL it would be my ideal scenario, with staff seeing everyone).

The commands I have been trying are coming back with 'unrecognized name of a cmdlet'.

Once I have connected and imported the session, I am trying New-AddressBookPolicy, New-AddressList, New-GlobalAddressList - all without success I have been able to switch on ABP by using the command Set-TransportConfig -AddressBookPolicyRoutingEnabled $True but this is as far as I'm getting.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Ta

Thank Post
    If you're trying this as soon as you've enabled the ABPs you might want to go and have a coffee and come back since it can take a while for the policy to update.

I wrote a blog post that might also help (principle is the same, even if the subject matter is different): Alumni Address Book Policy in Office 365 Education - UK Education Cloud Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

4. 2 Thanks to jamesbmarshall:

Rick2134 (24th May 2013), themightymrp (21st May 2013)

Thank Post
    This is perfect thank you! I also have realised straight away that I had missed off some of the Roles that I needed

Thank Post
    @jamesbmarshall - once again, thankyou! I have now successfully setup my GAL's the way I wanted it by modifying the guide you posted above.

Cheers

PS - I don't know if it is already posted on here somewhere but if you want to set the language and time zone for all your users (to prevent OWA asking upon first login), you can use this command if you are in the UK:

Code:
    get-mailbox | set-mailboxregionalconfiguration -language 2057 -timezone "GMT Standard Time"
    For other regions refer to this page : https://www.cogmotive.com/blog/offic...-in-office-365

7. 3 Thanks to themightymrp:

AlexB (9th July 2013), Rick2134 (24th May 2013), zag (22nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    I think I may have an issue with my student GAL Once I set the students to be hidden from address lists, they a) don't appear as members of my 'AL_Students' and b) are unable to receive any email! They can send them though :-/

The error I get back when I email them is

Code:
    Diagnostic code = NoDiagnostic; Reason code = TransferFailed; Status code = 532
                <AMSPR07MB113.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com #5.3.2 smtp;532 5.3.2 STOREDRV.Deliver; Missing or bad StoreDriver MDB properties>
    If I unhide them they receive emails fine - but then they appear in the contacts of staff which I don't want.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    This is one of those times where I wish I'd bookmarked the page where I saw this information... I think there is/was a bug if you used ABPs and hiding from address lists together which caused some interesting routing issues but I can't put my hands on the page now!

Log a service request.

EDIT: Found it! See the response from Greg Taylor: Exchange 2013 Address Book Policy Routing Agent Issue with Mailboxes Hidden From the Address Lists

10. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

themightymrp (18th September 2013)

Thank Post
    So its a bug with no solution as yet May have to modify things slightly then....

Thank Post
    Do your staff not have an ABP which does not​ include the student AL?

Thank Post
    Actually no, that would have been a good idea I realize now. I thought I could have got away without it if I hadn't come across this bug. However I am now creating a staff ABP

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    However I am now creating a staff ABP
    Good man! Clearly, the bug needs fixing, and I'm sure it will but for now that's probably the more ... logical? way to handle it!

Thank Post
    Any idea how long it takes to populate address lists etc with names based on a recipient filter? I am only assigning it to me at the moment and so far so good but it hasn't got a complete list of staff......

Thank Post
    It can take a couple of hours.

I created a new Address list yesterday, but it wasn't until an hour after I created the Offline Address book referencing it today, that entries appeared.

17. Thanks to Boredguy from:

themightymrp (18th September 2013)

Thank Post
    OK, daft question - why when I try to untick the "Hide from address lists" box for a student do I get the following error?

Code:
    The operation on mailbox "XXXX" failed because it's out of the current user's write scope. The action 'Set-Mailbox', 'HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled', can't be performed on the object 'XXXX' because the object is being synchronized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your on-premises organization.
    This also happens from Powershell. It must have worked before because I hid them en-masse using a piped powershell command!!

Thank Post
    If you're syncing with your local AD you need to set the attribute in AD and wait for DirSync to push it back up!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast