+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 & Local Exchange in Technical; I've been told by someone who drank the Microsoft Koolaid that I could have the best of both worlds with ...
    Thank Post

Office 365 & Local Exchange

I've been told by someone who drank the Microsoft Koolaid that I could have the best of both worlds with Office 365 and Exchange 2010.

Basically he said that I can set the two up in tandum so that the local exchange server would sync with the cloud based one, so I could have local mailboxes etc and have the benifits of an online mail service - high avalibility and all the fancy microsoft tools.

Has anyone set themselves up like this?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could do it yeh... but I really don't see the point.

Exchange on-line is just a cloud service of exchange local. It even accepts the powershell commands.

By hosting your own server you are creating another thing that can break. I really don't get what it gives you over Office 365. We've never missed anything from our old local server anyway.

Thank Post
    It gives you all the features that O365 doesnt and the flexability of some admin tasks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,248 Posts
    I don't really see the point either. Even at educational rates, you'd save a small fortune on servers, Exchange Server and CALs. It also frees your time up too to concentrate on managing your in-house domain and users.

Thank Post
    Exchange Server 2010 SP1 and Exchange Online (Office 365) Feature Comparison - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

If tou dont use those featurea then youre ok. In addition to any 3rd part products you may which intgrate with exch except BES.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The main reason why people choose to deploy Exchange Online & Exchange On-Premise is so that they can either

1) Keep Mailboxes on Premise for Legal Reasons (Many Law Firms / Germans do this)
    2) Phased Migration from On-Premise to Cloud so that organizations with large amounts of users can migrate users over in a phased manner.

Exchange Hybrid Deployment, It's a common method of deployment but for those 2 reasons above. If option 2 is the reason then you decommission the OnPremise Infrastructure once migration has been completed.

Large Organizations who currently run Exchange 2003 choose this method often, as oppose to upgrade internal systems to Exchange 2010 +

You would not keep a hybrid deployment in place just for the fun of it, there has to be a reason behind that thinking and those a really the only 2 main reasons, You get Exchange 2010 Licence for FREE from Microsoft Online Services for a Hybrid Deployment Scenario.

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 18th September 2012 at 10:58 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread