+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Upgrading from Live@edu to Office 365? in Technical; Sounds all good. Do you have any screenshots of Exchange 2013 Office 365?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Sounds all good. Do you have any screenshots of Exchange 2013 Office 365?

Thank Post
    I don't have any screenshots handy, but if you check out the blog (UK Education Cloud Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs) there's lots of information on the new Office 365 Education.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Sounds all good. Do you have any screenshots of Exchange 2013 Office 365?
    I was going to post some for you, but then I remembered the trial agreement says " you shall treat the design and performance of the Online Services that are accessible to you only via password protected access and any documentation or materials we make available to you under this agreement as confidential and shall not disclose them to any third party except in the furtherance of the parties' business relationship with each other." Not sure if that means I cannot put up screenshots.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    That's fair enough but thank you! I was just curious how different it is compared to Office 365 2010

Thank Post
    i've set up a trial Office365 account so i can try and set up SSO with ADFS2.0 server are installed and i'm getting the xml page like i should.

I'm using this article to help Set up a trust between AD FS and Windows Azure AD. I'm trying to get the domain to federate but as of yet i'm having no luck.

i'm putting in the following cmd Convert-MsolDomainToFederated –DomainName our domain name but get the following error message:
    Convert-MsolDomainToFederated : You cannot convert the specified domain to use
    identity federation because the account you are currently signed in with is a member of the domain ourdomainname.onmicrosoft.com. Please sign in to the service using an account that is a member of the company administrators role and is not part of the domain ourdomainname.onmicrosoft.com, and then try again.
    At line:1 char:30
    + Convert-MsoldomaintoFederated <<<< -DomainName ourdomainname.onmicrosoft.com
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: ( [Convert-MsolDomainToFeder
    ated], FederationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertDomainToFederatedAsADomainUser,Micros oft.Online.Identity.Federation.Powershell.ConvertD omainToFederated

I set up Dirsync thinking it needed one of our onpremises account to complete the conversion but get the same error message.

Anyone any ideas??? I've logged a case with MS on the 28th febbut have not heard anything from them since last Thursday. i know its only a trial account that i've got but i'm trying to get all the things in place before we convert the domain over to Office 365.

Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated!!!
    Last edited by staylor1972; 13th March 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Are you trying to federate your something​.onmicrosoft.com domain?

Thank Post
    Hi James

yes i'm trying to federate ourdomain.onmicrosoft.com thats the trial domain name that we set up.

Thank Post
    That's why you're hitting difficulties. You can't federate any something.onmicrosoft.com domains; you must add in your own domain and use that. This doesn't have to be your actual production domain, but could be a subdomain or spare other domain instead.

Thank Post
    ah thanks for that James so if i login to the admin portal and add test.ourdomain.ac.uk under the managment - domains option and add the details to our DNS server then it should federate?

so theres no need to use ourdomain.onmicrosot.com for anyhing other than using the admin account & password to connect using the MSOL powershell.

Thank Post
    Essentially, yes.

I'd strongly recommend keeping your administration account in this namespace so avoid being locked out if your ADFS infrastructure is unavailable. The something bit of something.onmicrosoft.com also forms the prefix for your something.sharepoint.com domain too, so picking something fairly meaningful is good practice. You can obviously set up redirects from "nice" domains to point to this, too.

Thank Post
    After reading this I would recommend you work with an integration partner...

There are a few differences (SkyDrive for one), but unless you have a good grasp of what is going on, do not attempt it. I have seen a number of problems with schools who have done so.

Keep in mind, with SkyDrive, the live@edu data does not migrate, but is still available (just no password sync). You will not get SkyDrive Pro unless you have Wave 15 of Office 365 (depends on region). There is a Sharepoint online team site. This is daunting unless you have sharepoint skills (integration with on premise sharepoint is not trivial).

Once the technical is sorted, then how do yo use it? We are looking at using SkyDrive Pro drives for Home drives and the Sharepoint Team Site as a Group Drive (all with appropriate permissions).

Is it worth the transition??? Have a good look at what Google offers, have a look at a thing by Hapara....I am thinking no....(eventhough I have done it).....

Thank Post
    Apparently, the best thing to happen to Google mail and apps is the transition from Live@Edu to Office 365 (according to a lot of integrators).....tending to agree for now.....

Thank Post
    I'm slightly annoyed about the seemingly random nature of Microsofts update plan for the o365 platform. We've got a school almost ready to roll out but don't want to until the refresh has happened. All I can get from Microsoft is that it's scheduled sometime within the month 'probably' and they will be notified a month in advance etc.

They have been told however that all new signups are getting the latest version (wave 15) off the bat so are now talking about starting totally from scratch. At this point it may be our quickest option so I was just hoping to confirm that this is the case with new installs before we go starting again with nothing.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Wave15 is given to new signups, yes. You just need to take into account that you can't use domains on two tenants. So remove them from original one first.

15. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Iamthelaw (10th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that quick response, i forget about this place sometimes and that was a hell of a lot quicker than trying to get anything concrete out of official channels!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast