+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Upgrading from Live@edu to Office 365? in Technical; Originally Posted by zag +1 Exactly the questions I want to know. Originally Posted by Michael Interesting thread this. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    +1 Exactly the questions I want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Interesting thread this. I have three schools running Live@Edu, but what baffles me is the migration of users and mailboxes are all automated, yet the user is required to change their password. Why is this Microsoft? Why not make the whole process transparent to the end user? And why can't users still login via outlook.com ?
    I believe it's partly due to the segregation of different aspects, namely the live/msn/skydrive becoming personal, and the O365/email being managed. This forces the user to accept in a way, and re-register in effect.

i guess the outlook.com thing is also related, that is for live services, not the microsoft online services, so i guess they split the servers / services .

I guess now, it means that they can be logged into the work (Office365), and home (Hotmail) at the same time. w00t

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Interesting thread this. I have three schools running Live@Edu, but what baffles me is the migration of users and mailboxes are all automated, yet the user is required to change their password. Why is this Microsoft? Why not make the whole process transparent to the end user? And why can't users still login via outlook.com ?
    Drop me a PM and we can talk about the upgrade process in more detail if you like. The upgrade splits out the mailbox from the other Microsoft services. Existing users will have their Microsoft Accounts, and their Office 365 accounts going forward. At the moment passwords have to be reset because we can't copy them between the two services but resetting is a one-time process and you can bypass this entirely by moving straight to AD FS or Shibboleth as this negates the need to store any credentials in Office 365; users just authenticate against your local AD.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Finally some clear and concise instructions

Live@edu Upgrade Center

@jamesbmarshall how will this effect our outlook desktop client users?
    Last edited by zag; 11th October 2012 at 04:34 PM.

4. Thanks to zag from:

Michael (12th October 2012)

Thank Post
    @jamesbmarshall how will this effect our outlook desktop client users?
    Depends - how are they currently configured? The answer could be as simple as there is no change. Are you going to move to AD FS 2.0? Which version of Outlook are you running?

Mailboxes don't move as part of the upgrade so server names shouldn't really change, but the auth details might. If a user changes their password to something different, or you deploy single sign-on, etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Drop me a PM and we can talk about the upgrade process in more detail if you like. The upgrade splits out the mailbox from the other Microsoft services. Existing users will have their Microsoft Accounts, and their Office 365 accounts going forward. At the moment passwords have to be reset because we can't copy them between the two services but resetting is a one-time process and you can bypass this entirely by moving straight to AD FS or Shibboleth as this negates the need to store any credentials in Office 365; users just authenticate against your local AD.
    Thanks for replying to my query. After reading Zag's link, it answers a lot of the questions and at least we have plenty of time to plan ahead with a migration. What I'm still concerned about, is Microsoft are aiming Live@Edu or Office 365 to both Primary, Secondary and higher education establishments, yet a lot of these changes are aimed at more mature students or adults who are perfectly capable of changing/updating a password.
    It's a lot more difficult to get a Primary school child to update or change their password and I welcome you to go to any school in the UK and you'll see the same results. They're only children at the end of the day.

How would a single sign-on work, if say the format of AD users is mjones, but their e-mail starts m.jones@domain, but with an alias mjones or matthew.jones (for example) associated with it. Many thanks!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends - how are they currently configured? The answer could be as simple as there is no change. Are you going to move to AD FS 2.0? Which version of Outlook are you running?

Mailboxes don't move as part of the upgrade so server names shouldn't really change, but the auth details might. If a user changes their password to something different, or you deploy single sign-on, etc.
    Good news that the server names don't change. We are running Outlook 2010 desktop client for all our teachers.

Will their clients just stop running when we are migrated due to the need to change password or do they stay the same?

Thank Post
    Will their clients just stop running when we are migrated due to the need to change password or do they stay the same?
    Unless you move to federation, nobody will be able to log in via any protocol until they've reset their password. Mail flow inbound is not affected.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unless you move to federation, nobody will be able to log in via any protocol until they've reset their password. Mail flow inbound is not affected.
    Thanks, makes sense.

One more obvious question... When does the upgrade happen? I'd rather wait a while rather than go though all that mid term.

Thank Post
    One more obvious question... When does the upgrade happen? I'd rather wait a while rather than go though all that mid term.
    Currently it can happen whenever you like. There'll be a point in time when you'll be scheduled at which time you'll be able to pull forward whenever you like, but only push back by a limited window.

As for waiting a while - I'd say do it ASAP rather than during a holiday. It's not as painful as you think!

Thank Post
    Hi Guys
    Were slowly getting our heads round the migration process - were going down the ADFS rounte implmenting single sign-on - not bothering with Shibboleth.
    Can anyone tell me what the limitations are with using Dirsync as appose to using FIM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor1972 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the limitations are with using Dirsync as appose to using FIM.
    FIM isn't supported.

(By which I mean that there is no user-configurable management agent for FIM supplied by Microsoft. DirSync is the only solution unless you want to engage the services of a Microsoft partner)

What's the concern over using DirSync?

Thank Post
    so DirSync is the only way to go then!

i look at this link Improving Office 365 manageability using Forefront Identity Manager 2010 | TechNet Video
    One of the things it was saying was that there were limitations with Dirsync and a better option was to use FIM!

Not installed or tested Dir Sync yet! does it give you the option of syncing individual OU's?

Thank Post
    I'm still a bit confused about the Sharepoint My Site for students (effectively replacing SkyDrive Office Web Apps, which were really easy to use) as every time I've trialled 365 I can never find an easy way to get there from the welcome screen. It seems to be obsessed with Team Sites (which I'm not bothered by right now) but doesn't focus on the user's personal space (which they definitely need!)

Have I missed something really obvious?

Edit: OK I've found the link https://yourdomain-my.sharepoint.com/ but why isn't this on the front page when you login and can I add the link?
    Last edited by gshaw; 16th October 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor1972 View Post
    Not installed or tested Dir Sync yet! does it give you the option of syncing individual OU's?
    No* - DirSync does a sync of your full AD. You don't have to provide licences or services to every user it synchronises across though. FIM is a more flexible solution, but there is no freely available Microsoft-supported management agent for FIM. For this you'd need the services of a partner.

*sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Edit: OK I've found the link https://yourdomain-my.sharepoint.com/ but why isn't this on the front page when you login and can I add the link?
    You can't change the links unfortunately; take a look at the Office 365 preview if you're interested to see where the future lies; I believe your problem is addressed somewhat.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick reply James! oh and the really useful link!

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast