+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
CLEO Thread, Equal pay review Cumbria in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); If the scales from Kirklees are anything to go by, it looks as though I might be on about the ...

Thank Post
    If the scales from Kirklees are anything to go by, it looks as though I might be on about the same pay. I'm still not holding my breath, they will try and take money off everyone.

Thank Post
    I'm SO1 too if that helps the figures.

Thank Post
    There must be some sort of mistake with the Kirklees salary scales, they are exactly the same pay as the old NJC pay scales aren't they!?

Thank Post
    The spreadsheet I linked to has both old and new scales. I guess the scales are pretty much the same but which grade you fit into could well change thus determining if you get more, less or the same money.

My guess is there can't be too much variance in the actual salaries as the pot is only so big - it will be more about where you are placed. Just my 2p worth. Cumbria seemed to be saying 20% will win, 20% will lose and 60% will remain the same.

Thank Post
    SO1 here too, IT Strategy and Resources Manager;

Role includes:
    Network Manager (incl managing the budget), Promoting the use of SIMS (particularly efficiency through reporting, behaviour, assessment), Promoting the use of the VLE, Timetabler (the putting it together and scheduling bit, rather making final decisions and negotiating with staff), sort of managing a techie (he's cover supervisor that does IT stuff when he's not on cover) but I'm not his line manager, Stage technical, Adjuster of the time on the school bell, cover supervisor when we run out of staff... you get the picture!

The process has been going on for a while; I understand that when my role was created it was put into the correct pay grade on the "new" system by Capita HR (who run that sort of thing in Cumbria) so it SHOULDN'T change.... I'm still bricking it slightly I have to admit but I think I should be able to take some reassurance from that.

If you have moved into your current role within the last few years it may be worth checking with your LM or Bursar or Head if this was done; if it was you'd seem to be pretty unlikely to be moved which may provide at least some comfort to you in the meantime.
    Last edited by BatchFile; 1st November 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Network Manager here and on SO1

When I started in this post I also asked particularly about the Job Evaluation and how it related to the Job Description and and role I was taking on and was assured at the interview that it was matched to the one provided by county so should be covered (although in the past 6 months seem to have taken on a lot more to do with SIMS including supporting lesson monitor, helping to setup and roll out the use of profiles and assessent manager and supporting Nova-T!!), although being in a very pesamistic mood at the moment we'll see what happens. Was quite interesting to note about the Foundation Schools being able to reject the scheme if the Governor's decide to. Not 100% sure that they would here, although maybe it's time to start poking a few people to see if they are aware of it...

I'll have been in post 2 years in April, so that might be the time to start re-evaluating where I'm heading depending on the outcome of this.
    Last edited by Cache; 1st November 2010 at 08:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    SO1 here too, IT Strategy and Resources Manager;

Role includes:
    Network Manager (incl managing the budget), Promoting the use of SIMS (particularly efficiency through reporting, behaviour, assessment), Promoting the use of the VLE, Timetabler (the putting it together and scheduling bit, rather making final decisions and negotiating with staff), sort of managing a techie (he's cover supervisor that does IT stuff when he's not on cover) but I'm not his line manager, Stage technical, Adjuster of the time on the school bell, cover supervisor when we run out of staff... you get the picture!

The process has been going on for a while; I understand that when my role was created it was put into the correct pay grade on the "new" system by Capita HR (who run that sort of thing in Cumbria) so it SHOULDN'T change.... I'm still bricking it slightly I have to admit but I think I should be able to take some reassurance from that.

If you have moved into your current role within the last few years it may be worth checking with your LM or Bursar or Head if this was done; if it was you'd seem to be pretty unlikely to be moved which may provide at least some comfort to you in the meantime.
    TonyRidal - My job was re-evaluated and regraded about 4 months ago. Why do you think it will carry over to the new scale? I hope you're right!

I can't help but worry about it. My contract is term-time only, which is great as I get the holidays off. The only snag is I only get paid for 46 weeks of the year. I've got a bad feeling that I'll get paid less for working more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    TonyRidal - My job was re-evaluated and regraded about 4 months ago. Why do you think it will carry over to the new scale? I hope you're right!

I can't help but worry about it. My contract is term-time only, which is great as I get the holidays off. The only snag is I only get paid for 46 weeks of the year. I've got a bad feeling that I'll get paid less for working more.
    I would agree with you. Previous posts - certainly from 2 or 3 years ago can't be on the new grading structure as it wasn't even close to being finalised then (despite Cumbria having been at this for nearly 13 years according to some sources).

I think we all need to be nervous about this and hope in those schools where it is possible heads and governors see the sense in rejecting the scheme. In those schools that don't have that option I'm not sure what the answer is. The other thing is if as many people appeal as predicted (40% of 8000 in one article) I simply can't see how all those appeals can take place in the time scale.

The other thing that is important is to make sure people at the top in your school are fully briefed on the whole scheme and it's impact. From conversations our head has had you'd be supprised how little knowledge some SLT members have of what is coming.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    I would agree with you. Previous posts - certainly from 2 or 3 years ago can't be on the new grading structure as it wasn't even close to being finalised then (despite Cumbria having been at this for nearly 13 years according to some sources).

I think we all need to be nervous about this and hope in those schools where it is possible heads and governors see the sense in rejecting the scheme. In those schools that don't have that option I'm not sure what the answer is. The other thing is if as many people appeal as predicted (40% of 8000 in one article) I simply can't see how all those appeals can take place in the time scale.

The other thing that is important is to make sure people at the top in your school are fully briefed on the whole scheme and it's impact. From conversations our head has had you'd be supprised how little knowledge some SLT members have of what is coming.
    At the moment I can't see the benefit of appealing though, as we will still be guessing as to what effect it is going to have since the plan is not to finalise and release the pay scales until after christmas which is then after the appeal date.

MER

Thank Post
    Well Im a netowork manager and I have a technicain beneath me and Im at the top of scale 5. They do seem to be tight on pay at my place in general.

When I was at my union meeting they were saying that the county had been expecting about a 40% appeal rate, but actualy they are experiencing around 78%. Unions do like to stirr up things so maybe take that figure with a pinch of salt, but it certainly seems that more people than expected are appealing.

I had a chat with my head the other day and had a look through the information on the portal and he doesnt see how this system is going to work. He confirmed that the school has had very little if any input to the process. He's been given very little detail about whats actualy happening so its no wonder no one seems to know whats going on. He's not looking forward to having a school full of unhappy support staff!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    At the moment I can't see the benefit of appealing though, as we will still be guessing as to what effect it is going to have since the plan is not to finalise and release the pay scales until after christmas which is then after the appeal date.

The benefit of appealing is simply to get your job moved into a different family or higher grade. I guess if you get into a higher grade then you are in a better place when they match the salaries up.

The whole thing is rubbish IMHO and seems to be achieving very little.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    The benefit of appealing is simply to get your job moved into a different family or higher grade. I guess if you get into a higher grade then you are in a better place when they match the salaries up.

The whole thing is rubbish IMHO and seems to be achieving very little.
    Oh, didn't realise they were releasing the Grades with the job families. In that case it will make some sense, but even so I agree the whole thing seems pointless at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Oh, didn't realise they were releasing the Grades with the job families.
    AFAIK they're not deciding which grades go with which jobs until after all the families are finalised - that's one of the problems!
    Last edited by BatchFile; 2nd November 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK they're not deciding which grades go with which jobs until after all the families are finalised - that's one of the problems!
    So that then heads back to how do you know if you need to appeal or not? Stupid bloody system!!
    Last edited by Cache; 2nd November 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Thank Post
    From what I've been told grade info. will be available just not how much that grade is worth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast