+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
CLEO Thread, New Filter (June 2010) in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); From speaking with Martin @ Westfield a minute ago, they're planning on the local control sometime in July, not the ...
    Thank Post
    From speaking with Martin @ Westfield a minute ago, they're planning on the local control sometime in July, not the first of July, the 1st July date doesn't appear on the LGFL filtering site, I'd pointed out that this is what it states on the filter block page, which will be updated to reflect the correct window of July not 1st July

2. 2 Thanks to buzzard:

dgsmith (29th June 2010), SimpleSi (29th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Explains the lack of any communication

Well - its off to tell my schools that normal service will NOT be resumed on Thursday

I was looking though another (non -lancs) schools website and Netsweeper checked every single link to every page of the website.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it's getting really annoying this netsweeper. tonnes of technical forums are blocked as webchat...

the problem is all the teachers and most of the support staff being academic domain users are restricted as pupils (webchat blocked), and only admin staff (15/150 of staff) have the staff access (webchat unblocked)
    Last edited by browolf; 1st July 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    we run on a single merged domain that uses the curric scope, so we have no choice, theres no way we'll be swapping to the admin range!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    it's getting really annoying this netsweeper. tonnes of technical forums are blocked as webchat...
    Tell me about it, I've been sorting out some bits and pieces on our linux server and I've found myself browsing for advice using my iPhone instead of the school network as I can actually get to the sites, where as, like you said, tonnes of the technical forums are blocked as webchat!

Maybe that is on purpose though .. as in Westfield think if they block all technical forums that people will start phoning them to do the work again .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
    we run on a single merged domain that uses the curric scope, so we have no choice, theres no way we'll be swapping to the admin range!!
    I thought of a solution but im not sure how much west...you know who likes it.

2 proxies. one for staff & one for pupils.

for staff ~ a proxy with one card in the curric scope and another card in the admin scope connected to the admin network or admin port on the router..

we already have 2 proxies but both connect to the 10.x academic range on the back end. the isa pupil proxy has a load of bespoke internet controlling stuff on whereas the staff proxy is a generic squid server with no restrictions.
    Last edited by browolf; 1st July 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Thank Post
    I thought of a solution but im not sure how much west...you know who likes it.

2 proxies. one for staff & one for pupils.

for staff ~ a proxy with one card in the curric scope and another card in the admin scope connected to the admin network or admin port on the router..

we already have 2 proxies but both connect to the 10.x academic range on the back end. the isa pupil proxy has a load of bespoke internet controlling stuff on whereas the staff proxy is a generic squid server with no restrictions.
    They would probably not like that very much at all .. I know that they have strict rulings about being joined to the curriculum and having a backup ADSL connected at the same time, and I guess this would probably fall under a similar thing .. it's going to be interesting to see how they put all this into action that is for sure .. unless they are going to introduce new proxy details for staff so that it's down to us to use GPOs to set them correctly ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    They would probably not like that very much at all ..
    the trouble is when they give us more control, we'll be forced to unsecure the academic filtering on the edge and have our own filtering internally to split up staff & pupils. that's stupid when the edge already has separate filtering capabilities...

Thank Post
    the trouble is when they give us more control, we'll be forced to unsecure the academic filtering on the edge and have our own filtering internally to split up staff & pupils. that's stupid when the edge already has separate filtering capabilities...
    Yup .. I just hope they've put some thought and testing into this one ..

Thank Post
    If you are unable to get any technical forums that you need access to, please let The Westfield Centre know about so that we can have the site reviewed to see if we can get it unblocked.

The reason some forums are being blocked is because they are classed as web chat by netsweeper. Anything that includes 2 way communication is regarded as web chat and is blocked for e safety reasons because of the potential for pupils using chat applications.

We do not deliberately block legitimate sites and if you make us aware of any specific problems you are having we can look into things and see if we can help. If we are not made aware of issues then we can't do anything about them

Thanks

Martin

Thank Post
    The web page containing the request form to get better control of our internet filtering is available

Filtering

Just starting off with my first school now.

regards

Sion

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678