+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
CLEO Thread, New Filter (June 2010) in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); The impression we all seem to be getting is that the "Artificial Intelligence Engine and URL database" (see here ) ...

Thank Post
    The impression we all seem to be getting is that the "Artificial Intelligence Engine and URL database" (see here) is not able to handle the number of requests. It's entirely possible that this was the fault of NetSweeper telling porkies about the hardware requirements or maybe their advice was ignored.

The problem is that, at the moment, schools don't even have full chorts - I know where I work we are currently 300+ users less because the year 11 and sixth form are out on exam breaks.

2. Thanks to Ric_ from:

SimpleSi (15th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Well - we are full of chorts - but not very happy ones

Thank Post
    reported Sing Up | * today - teacher told me today that it hasn't worked properly since last Monday.

I was trying to do a search anf got the attached error and Westfield rang me back and said I was just unlucky to hit that particualr server as it was being reset/swapped out/swapped in.

I very calmly said that schools seems to be being lucky about once every 10mins.

Simon

Thank Post
    Apart from the firewall and the filter not co-operating it would seem that the mina generic filtering problem we are having with sites is sites carrying adverts

(such as a lot of "free" primary/educational resources - that's how they make their money)

I wonder if someone can turn off advert checking for a few days and see if the problems go away?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Well i've just tried to get on gamestation and games website and they're now blocked, in the category of games!! Can't wait for a few weeks/months to see how this pans out, I've had staff moaning since half term about not being able to get on some maths games sites.

And is anyone having probs accessing https sites? i keep getting certificate errors and when you look at cert details it says it's been issuewd by localhost.localdomain. Informed westfield and they've said that the web team are working on it. Just wondered if it was an isolated error or more widespread.

Thank Post
    And is anyone having probs accessing https sites?
    Just logmein - I get asked loads of questions about trusting certificates and then it says its been redlisted.

I wonder if there is an outbreak of children using logmein to access their home laptops that's beyond the capabilities of local admins to block?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Something else that doesnt work, streaming from the BBC (Both radio and iplayer) Iplayer loads indefinately when you click play and radio says "This content doesnt appear to be working please try again later".

Its getting beyond a joke now, surely netsweeper would have been able to import lists from SmartFilter? youve got a long way to go before the inernet works, let alone as well as it did under smart filter. Im yet to go into a school that doesnt have NETSWEEPER written in large letters in the problems book. My can you hack out requests have gone through the roof since the swap.

Last week i pointed out that its a big change and that the westfield will be ironing out some bugs that appeared once they made it county wide, but now everyone is fed up, its destroying lesson plans and putting an end to research lessons. Now when i try to say that they are just working out problems teachers say "Surely they tested it first before forcing it on us all" Theres a point at which i can't be diplomatic any more and will just say county have screwed it over.

As for reporting things to the westfield i sent an email to the help desk a couple of days ago with a list of problems i had noticed (the github and rubygems ones i posted in here earlier) with the solution, add them to the whitelist like they where under SmartFilter. Not had any response yet, all i ask for is an automated "your reqest has been logged" then i know its been recieved.

Thank Post

One teacher has jsut reported that lancsngfl resources on their own website are being blocked as "Criminal Skills"

You wouldn't be able to get this farce as a script for IT Crowd because no-one would Adam and Eve it!

If they can't even whitelist their own resources.....

Simon

Thank Post
    A teacher has just summed up the situtation.

The internet is no longer useful as a resource for children - when they search how to make sailor hats - most of the sites are blocked - but one child was still able to get some lovely pictures of a "lola ferrari"

But of course in primaries, the teacher was watching him giggle and show his mates so mark one eyeball/ear wins again

(Of course he's probably seen much more of Miss Ferrari when he's been surfing at home - at least in the school he only gets to see 95% of her )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    BTW fellow techs.

Any driver download site (like Realtek) that uses an IP address in the name needs unblocking.

I wonder if its possible to tell netsweeper to allow all links from a site? - that would help up the unblocking process considerably.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Any update on whether we're still on track to local filtering ability in July? If so, that coupled with our fibre going live next week will certainly be cause for celebration here

Thank Post
    You need to stop taking your happy pills.

1. They only respond here twice a year

2. They know we'll just unblock everything if given control (except Google Safe Search re-writing - that's good and redlisted pron sites ) so no real chance of that happening.

3. You think your fibre install will be working BEFOREthey remove your radio link

but I like optimists

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    CLEO came yesterday to check the fibre and all seemed good, just waiting for it to be connected at the exchange now. I'm curious at your second point though - I can't see how they can easily completely go back on that and say "nah we changed our mind" without having some serious explaining to do, on top of the issues that plagued us all last week..

To be honest, we have to be optimistic and hopeful else sanity would be a thing that we had briefly long ago.. Quite amusing a year or two back when the local village installed wireless CCTV cameras.. you can guess what happened!

Thank Post

Logmein Gone!

Official reply
    Dear Simon

Due to security restrictions relating to the wider CLEO network, we are unable to allow access to Logmein. However, all LGfL schools have access to the CLEO-approved Secure Global Desktop (SGD) remote access solution....

Thanks,

LGfL Filter
    So its back to underhand ssh tunnelling again lads.
    (And when you've got it up and running - please PM me with the detials )
    regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I'm curious at your second point though - I can't see how they can easily completely go back on that and say "nah we changed our mind" without having some serious explaining to do, on top of the issues that plagued us all last week..
    Because that's their mindset - they can't think about the internet from the perspective of a teacher/pupil.
    (But worse still they think they can!)

They just want to cover their corporate responsibilty and say - look at us - we are doing our bit to prevent little jonny from accessing pron (which is good but sledgehammer and nut isn't)

Primaries actuallt require less filtering than secondaries as our pupils tend not to try using proxy bypass sites - they just type things into google.
    And we watch them more.

I can't see how they can easily completely go back on that
    Because they can do what they want as headteachers/their reps are not collectively engaged in the central ICT provision for schools

Maybe I'm going to need to buy 2 hats to eat - one for this and one for Iplayer not falling over but I'm not saving up for the purchases

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast