+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
CLEO Thread, You Tube in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Has CLEO decided to unblock You Tube? Our student have been on it!...
  1. #1
    Unvalidated User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    You Tube

    Has CLEO decided to unblock You Tube? Our student have been on it!

  2. #2
    BatchFile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    958
    Thank Post
    548
    Thanked 128 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    not in cumbria they haven't:

    Access denied!

    Access to this page has been blocked by our filtering software.
    Your address: 10.105.17.178
    Your group: cumbria-schools
    Page category: audio-video
    Page URL: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.


    If you have any queries about this service please contact the Cumbria Schools Technical Support Service.

    Maybe the little daqrlings had found an unblocked proxy to run it through

  3. #3
    Unvalidated User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    we are in Cumbria. we have blocked it through our own proxy now and also contact CLEO.

    Thanks!!

  4. #4
    dezt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    It's blocked here in sunny Rishton

  5. #5

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 386 Times in 342 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    I wish we could access it here! I think as long as its managed correctly its a useful tool in education.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    W. Cumbria
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    You can get 3 unfiltered IP addresses from CLEO to allow access to sites like Youtube.

  7. #7
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,995
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 286 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost View Post
    You can get 3 unfiltered IP addresses from CLEO to allow access to sites like Youtube.
    Thats news to me !

  8. #8

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,427
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Rep Power
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Thats news to me !
    Yup been around for a while that has, certainly in Cumbria that you can have some less filtered IPs for Staff and Admin use I believe is the terms for them. They allow access to Facebook, Messengers, Bebo, Youtube etc, stuff that shouldnt be too harmful for teachers / administration etc but no good for kids.

  9. #9

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,075
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 937 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I wish we could access it here! I think as long as its managed correctly its a useful tool in education.
    That is true, and what we have done is brought something called "clipbank" which provides the staff with video's etc to use in there lesson's. yh i know its nothing like youtube but its a start i suppose.



    Link: http://www.4learning.co.uk/sites/clipbank/

  10. #10

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 386 Times in 342 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    That is true, and what we have done is brought something called "clipbank" which provides the staff with video's etc to use in there lesson's. yh i know its nothing like youtube but its a start i suppose.



    Link: Channel 4 Learning - Clipbank - Home
    We have the clipbank series from when they were available on DVD. I seen the latest offering at BETT and I thought it was good, but I couldn't justify the spend on a product that included all the clips we already have paid for.... yes with the added bonus of new footage but still not worth it for us for another couple of years.

  11. #11

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,075
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 937 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    275
    Oh right, i really dont know how much it cost our head of IT just brought it and i was just told some guy is coming to install this and he needs some space in the rack to put a server.

    Seems to work well, but as i say i dont know how much it cost. but its good anyhow

  12. #12

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 386 Times in 342 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Oh right, i really dont know how much it cost our head of IT just brought it and i was just told some guy is coming to install this and he needs some space in the rack to put a server.

    Seems to work well, but as i say i dont know how much it cost. but its good anyhow
    Is an annual cost - about £5k a year rings a bell - I can't find the info here with me. I agree its Good but pricey, similar to the clipbank stuff.

  13. #13

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,075
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 937 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    275

  14. #14
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,995
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 286 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Yup been around for a while that has, certainly in Cumbria that you can have some less filtered IPs for Staff and Admin use I believe is the terms for them. They allow access to Facebook, Messengers, Bebo, Youtube etc, stuff that shouldnt be too harmful for teachers / administration etc but no good for kids.

    Hmm what goes for Cumbria does not necessarily go for Lancs I have found. I shall enquire anyways. I am sick of googling for things, only to find the answer is blocked because it's a forum or something.

  15. #15

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,319
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost View Post
    You can get 3 unfiltered IP addresses from CLEO to allow access to sites like Youtube.
    Could you stick your own proxy on one of those addresses and control filtering for teachers or the whole school?



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. You tube clone or emulator?
    By moriartythemundane in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd January 2008, 10:38 AM
  2. getting 'you tube' videos removed?
    By markman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16th October 2007, 04:16 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •