+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
CLEO Thread, NED (Cachepilot replacement) in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); JFI - copy of email sent to Westfield _ i'll update if.when I get a reply I seem to be ...

Thank Post

NED (Cachepilot replacement)

JFI - copy of email sent to Westfield _ i'll update if.when I get a reply

I seem to be experiencing some unwanted behaviour with the new NEDs.

I've been informed that computers should all use the autoconfiguration script at

http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk

as that specifying cachepilot:8000 in the proxy settings won't work.

Which is fair enough but when the original rollout occured, Centerprise used the manual proxy settings and maybe its just me but I think primary schools need a heads up before the NED install as any machines configured with the original cachepilot:8000 are going to not be able to access the Internet.

Also, at one of my schools - we had to change the espresso shortcut to use http: / /10.yyy.zzz.250/... instead of the exisiting http:/cachepilot/... - is this a universal requirement?

And finally, I am at a BroadOak today (mon am) and the Reception class teacher came to me and said her espresso wasn't working - I changed to using http: / /10.yyy.zzz.250/.... and it started working - co-incidence or is someone changing the .pac files at CLEO before the new NEDs are going in?

Could you call me to discuss things please?

regards
    Simon Walters
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 20th October 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Spookily, the engineer running the rollout was installing my next school

He says they've noticed the same issues as me (apart from the last point about the pac files changing) and are working on it.

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have observed that just because someone is 'working on it' does not mean that it will ever get resolved.

Thank Post
    I have observed that just because someone is 'working on it' does not mean that it will ever get resolved.
    I have several such items on my todo list myself

I think the problems all come down to the NED not responding to the Netbios name of cachepilot (bit is supposed to)

I used the old cachepilot as the time ref in a serverless school and that doesn't work now either

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Cool Just got my NED Box last week ..

Hi Guys

I don't suppose you've heard any more with regards to these new wwwcache.cleo.net.uk settings have you? I'm still pushing out the proxy.lancsngfl... settings personally as when I tried to push the wwwcache ones the internet died in the school.

In terms of the 10.xxx.xxx.250 thing, I've successfully put a DNS A record on my server which then points anything looking for cachepilot to the right IP address internally, so don't know if that helps anyone. I suppose it depends on how you're running your DS (i.e. if you're using it as a DNS server or not) I just find it easier for when mapping certain things (such as the NED in this instance).

Anyway, the wwwcache settings, I'm still looking for a solution to get them working if anyone has a suggestion. I'm trying to put them out via GPO at the moment under the auto-config settings for IE.

Ta
    Andy T

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are doing it wrong. The wwwcache.cleo.net.uk settign is for the NED box ONLY. If you are using the NED box as your proxy then your clients should be pointing at that i.e. 'cachepilot'.
    If, however you just use the NED box for Espresso only then your clients should use proxy.lancsngfl with a proxy exception for the NED box. If in doubt give the Westfield Centre a ring.

Thank Post

Ok, but..

The engineer said that the machines should be configured to use wwwcache.... for the autoconfig setting to take advantage of using the NED box additional Proxy settings (pre-caching, additional filtering, etc) as then it would first look to see if there was anything on the box about it and then revert to the proxy.lancs... setting if not.

I'll give them a call and see what's what just to clarify. I am using the proxy setting at the moment through the network and that get's the internet, it's just if it's decided to use additional settings through the NED box then obviously I need to make sure that is working correctly.

I'll see what they say and post back with any info ..

Thank Post
    The http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk setting does basically work on the machines in my school so if its not working for you, then I'd say there's something up with your NED box.

I never got my clients to resolve the name "cachepilot" (even though I think I entered the name has a DNS record correctly) but it becomes a non-issue if you use the http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk IE settings.

The current outstanding problem with using the auto settings and having the NED as a proxy server, is that it mucks up sites like hotmail - it slows down access by a large amount (2 mins to logon for instance) and the last time I checked (About 4 weeks ago) - this had still not been fixed.

I was going to stop using the auto config setting and go back to proxy.lancsngfl but using the auto config setting is useful as an automatic proxy switcher for teacher laptops, but their the ones that use hotmail so its a bit of a catch 22

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    You are doing it wrong. The wwwcache.cleo.net.uk settign is for the NED box ONLY. If you are using the NED box as your proxy then your clients should be pointing at that i.e. 'cachepilot'.
    If, however you just use the NED box for Espresso only then your clients should use proxy.lancsngfl with a proxy exception for the NED box. If in doubt give the Westfield Centre a ring.
    Interesting... my understanding is that the NEDs are to be used for all content. They forward upstream requests to the relevant proxy (proxy.lancsngfl.ac.uk for Lancs or wwwcache.cumbria for Cumbria).
    There shouldn't be any case where you only need the NED for espresso - kinda defeats the point of having a Network Edge Device for caching doesn't it?

The Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) is designed for use by all schools and should give out:
    • The IP of the NED if a NED has been switched on for that school and has been seen recently (in the last 30 minutes I think); or
    • The upstream proxy if the school has a NED which has not been seen recently; or
    • The IP of a cachepilot if it's believed that a cachepilot exists for the school; or
    • The upstream proxy details; or
    • The DIRECT mechanism if you get the PAC from a non-CLEO IP (e.g. at home on your laptop).

It should work for pretty much every situation.
    If your school has an alternative proxy server, or a cachepilot not listed in the PAC, get in touch with your support org to request the change.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    The http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk setting does basically work on the machines in my school so if its not working for you, then I'd say there's something up with your NED box.

I never got my clients to resolve the name "cachepilot" (even though I think I entered the name has a DNS record correctly) but it becomes a non-issue if you use the http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk IE settings.
    As you say, this should be a non-issue with the NED and cachepilot if you're using the PAC. If you're not, things are more complicated.

The current outstanding problem with using the auto settings and having the NED as a proxy server, is that it mucks up sites like hotmail - it slows down access by a large amount (2 mins to logon for instance) and the last time I checked (About 4 weeks ago) - this had still not been fixed.
    Interesting - I thought that this was fixed. I'll have a play tomorrow if I remember. IIRC this wasn't a NED or PAC issue in the end.

I was going to stop using the auto config setting and go back to proxy.lancsngfl but using the auto config setting is useful as an automatic proxy switcher for teacher laptops, but their the ones that use hotmail so its a bit of a catch 22
    As per design - that's one of the intended uses for the PAC. If the hotmail issue is resolved, that should make life easier?

Thank Post
    I have several such items on my todo list myself

I think the problems all come down to the NED not responding to the Netbios name of cachepilot (bit is supposed to)
    bit is supposed to?

I used the old cachepilot as the time ref in a serverless school and that doesn't work now either
    You could request it through your support org? Chances are that no-one has asked for that through the proper channels so no-one knows that it's wanted.

Thank Post
    You could request it through your support org? Chances are that no-one has asked for that through the proper channels so no-one knows that it's wanted.
    you must have missed my OP from last year

JFI - copy of email sent to Westfield _ i'll update if.when I get a reply
    The problem was that Westfield waltzed into the primary schools and installed the new NED and rendered internet access unobtainable without re-configuring every computer on the curric network.

PPP

Since then, every computer has been re-configured so the problem doesn't exist anymore (but it would have been nice to have had a reply )

Interesting - I thought that this was fixed. I'll have a play tomorrow if I remember. IIRC this wasn't a NED or PAC issue in the end.
    3 times I've been rung to say its been fixed and each time it wasn't when I tried it

Maybe it had been fixed but no-one's rung me again

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Well, tested hotmail out at one school and no speed issues when using http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk setting

You've got to love CLEO/Westfield

Even when someone gets something right - they keep it a secret

I can re-instate the NED for the teachers again now

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    OMG .. could it be .. yes .. it does actually appear to be working .. seems a little slow, but it seems to of pushed out ok and actually be working ..

As Si said, I wouldn't of known though without looking on here as Westfield even keep their good work secret! lol ..

Thank Post

I'm sorry .. did I praise the wwwcache setting? .. lol ..

Ok, so I'm off site now, and I think that I will be making some changes tomorrow and hope not too many staff want to lynch me when their laptops don't work at home.

the wwwcache setting still doesn't resolve correctly out of school as it's timing out finding the wwwcache setting and just, well, not working. Going to drop Westfield a line see what they suggest, but I think back to a PAC file for me tomorrow. *sighs*

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast