+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
CLEO Thread, CLEO.. WHY!?! in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Without any prior warning or notice (to us at least), it seems CLEO have not only just blocked logmein for ...
    Thank Post

CLEO.. WHY!?!

Without any prior warning or notice (to us at least), it seems CLEO have not only just blocked logmein for our own machines in work (own use), but also prevented RM from gaining remote sessions to our servers via logmein123.com (which blocks access to their servers to prevent connecting to the gateway).

The answer? Oh yes.. Sun Global Desktop (which RM don't want anything to do with).

So we have a CC4 network (lets not go there).. full of problems, and no means for RM to get access. Really going to put us in a terrible pickle. Surely others from Lancs/Cumbria have noticed this (those who use logmein at least, or more specifically, CC4)...
    We can appreciate it may have particular security issues that are of concern, but this has really put us in the siht..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whilst this is an FFS I shall move it to the CLEO forum. Have you even asked the nice people there for a solution, or is your feed from us (if you are in Liverpool you are not actually a apart of CLEO) blocked by a more local LEA setup?

Thank Post
    Logmein still works for me (Cumbrian school)

Thank Post
    Although I live in Liverpool, i work in Lancashire thus the school has a CLEO connection. We have had verbal contact with them and they have confirmed logmein is blocked for security reasons (although we have an unfiltered CLEO connection on our admin network, and logmein still works on that, but RM is on the curriculum network).

Apologies if the FFS forum was inappropriate, however, that is quite how we feel right now when the block severely restricts our ability to work with RM on the issues.

jcollins: Do you have an unfiltered CLEO connection (as on our unfiltered, logmein still works)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    Although I live in Liverpool, i work in Lancashire thus the school has a CLEO connection. We have had verbal contact with them and they have confirmed logmein is blocked for security reasons (although we have an unfiltered CLEO connection on our admin network, and logmein still works on that, but RM is on the curriculum network).

Apologies if the FFS forum was inappropriate, however, that is quite how we feel right now when the block severely restricts our ability to work with RM on the issues.

jcollins: Do you have an unfiltered CLEO connection (as on our unfiltered, logmein still works)?
    Strange - we have 1 flat network (no admin/curric split) and it is filtered by CLEO but it seems to still work for us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    logmein blocked here (Lancs).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    It sort of works for me, I haven't tried using it to get to my PC as I have no need tbh, but I can get to my home PC which I need at times, always nipping to it via the web for resources and useful bits and bats which I need for work, so its very useful, and thats via the kids internet rather than the admin side of it. I will say it takes a few attempts to get the website to let me in rathe that chucking me out and seems to blip every so often but its not banned end of etc...

TBH, if they banned it totally I would be rather pee'd off tbh, maybe on the kids side of things but not the admin side as you have said RM use it which is good and the likes of other 3rd party support firms use applications like that.

Sorry should say im Cumbria CLEO

Thank Post
    How daft that cumbria still has it and lancs doesn't! Surely if it's a security risk it would be blocked across every area which has a CLEO connection?

It would appear RM aren't taking the alternative either, which could be detrimental.

Thank Post
    logmein has been blocked by the westfield centre, i phoned them today about it as we need someone to cionfigure our information screens when we send them updated information. I was told it was blocked beacause they could put anything they wanted onto our network through the computer.

They did offer SUN global desktop, but the company need ftp access to the remote machine at our end. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thank Post
    I can confirm its blocked by Lancs not CLEO, you will need to speak to Martin Quinn at Westfield.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FTP into your school via CLEO!! How big a hole do they want to put into CLEOland?
    P.S. It is different between Cumbria and Lancashire because it was very hard to get links into Cumbria schools due to lakes, mountains, general remoteness etc and Cumbria took connections where ever they could find them originally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BTW, If they were to use SGD they could logon to a dedicated 'admin' box setup by you and then FTP out to get the files rather than FTPing in.

Thank Post
    Regardless of whether it's cleo or westfield that has blocked the connection (and my apologies to CLEO if they have had nothing to do with it), it still helps us little with regards to RM remoting in, when they want little to do with SGD.

Thank Post
    Just look at it as any consumer would, your paying money and they're not meeting your requirments, it might be worth at least looking into pricing on other options.

A word to the visiting ICT coordinator by your head of IT could also bear fruit.

Worst case you could look at getting a DSL line put in, its not that cost prohibitive and you could also use it as a backup gateway for key machines if ever CLEO was down for maintenance etc.

SGD isnt actually that bad, all its missing is the normal minimise tab from RDP. It just the waiting for it to be set-up, 2 weeks in one case and another school I need it for its now been 2 months, submitted for forms twice and there's still "no record" of my request. They could be a bit a bit faster on that side but overall its a workable system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Worst case you could look at getting a DSL line put in, its not that cost prohibitive and you could also use it as a backup gateway for key machines if ever CLEO was down for maintenance etc.
    As part of the T&Cs of having a CLEO connection, you are prohibited from having any other external connections.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast