Poll: Do you have any unearthed network cabinets

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
CLEO Thread, Earthed Switch Cabinets in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); wonder those that do have 'earthed' cabs....how are they earthed ? I don't mean merely the short length of earth ...
    Thank Post
    wonder those that do have 'earthed' cabs....how are they earthed ?

I don't mean merely the short length of earth cable, but whether they've actually got a telecoms ground bar, or something that can perform the role of a telecoms ground bar and common bonding network i.e overhead wire baskets running back to the entrance facility....or as i suspect, nobody has a clue....they see a little green and yellow wire connected to their wall cabs and assume they are 'earthed' without having a proper grounding and bonding facilitiy and without having earth potential readings taken between cabinets ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'm not sure about your building, but round here ours are made out of concrete and brick. They tend to be great insulators.
    Sorry Geoff, they're not necessarily good insulators. Brick, especially new brick, can be slightly radioactive and therefore actually attracts lightning - radioactivity ionises the air as it's emitted, making nice little pathways for electrical currents to travel along. Concrete, if it contains rocks such as granite, may well be radioactive too. On the bright side however concrete structures tend to be big steel cages clad in concrete, and the steel goes deep into the ground. If you can remember your GCSE Physics (what?when?) there's no charge on the inside of a hollow conductor (e.g. a big metal cage) so any lightning which strikes your building won't actually enter the building but will pass, via the building, straight to earth.

The only way lightning will damage your equipment is if some electrical switchgear nearby gets hit and you get a big surge through the supply, but then you should have a UPS in the way to protect against mains surges. If you do get struck by lightning falling concrete might be your biggest problem if your buildings are as rubbish as ours.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Don't know about my current place but didn't have any in my last place that were earth bonded, and we were quite hot on electrical safety and that stuff. I'd guess that no is probably the answer but I may be wrong so please don't shoot me if I am as I haven't checked them, but it just doesn't seem common.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only way lightning will damage your equipment is if some electrical switchgear nearby gets hit and you get a big surge through the supply
    Some of us have wifi deployed with external outdoor antennas. If one gets hit. It's a great way to fry your data network. I seem to recall there have been a couple of threads where this has happened to people.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Some of us have wifi deployed with external outdoor antennas. If one gets hit. It's a great way to fry your data network. I seem to recall there have been a couple of threads where this has happened to people.
    You really want lightning suppressors like these if you have external antennas, they are not full proof but they do provide lots more protection than nothing at all. Best bit is they are stupidly cheap in comparison to the damage that they can prevent.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12