+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
CLEO Thread, Migrating to O365 - A few pointers required please .. in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Evening all As I'm still on the blood out of a stone crusade with OCL, I figured I'd post on ...
    Thank Post

Migrating to O365 - A few pointers required please ..

Evening all

As I'm still on the blood out of a stone crusade with OCL, I figured I'd post on here to see if anyone else might be able to give me a few pointers.

I've been given a username and password by OCL with "full access to all the schools mailboxes" and I'm trying to get a Cutover Migration going for the schools e-mails to get them onto Office 365.

As such, I'm trying to sort the following information:

Account with Privileges (domain\username) (This is the name of an account that has the necessary administrative privileges in the on-premises organization that hosts the mailboxes you're migrating. Use the format domain\user name. Exchange will use this account to detect the migration endpoint and to test connectivity to a mailbox in the on-premises organization.)
    Password of Account with Privileges (This is the password for the user account that you specified in the previous box.)
    Exchange Server (This is the FQDN of the Exchange server that hosts the mailboxes that you're migrating.)
    RPC Proxy Server (This is the FQDN of the RPC proxy server for the Exchange server that hosts the mailboxes that you're migrating. For example, mail.contoso.com.)
    Authentication (NTLM or Basic)
    Mailbox Permission (Full Access or Domain Admin)

The account and password I've tried with the ones they provided me without any errors on them being incorrect.

The exchange server I'm setting as smtpin.lancsngfl.ac.uk and the RPC as outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk

Authentication I've tried both settings, and I've set the permission to Full Access, as I presume that's what I'm on from what they've told me.

When I then run the verification I get "We couldn't discover the migration endpoint. Consider using the Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer (https://testexchangeconnectivity.com) to diagnose the connectivity issues."

So, anyone got any pointers?

Thanks
    Andy

Thank Post
    The exchange server FQDN needs to be the internal domain name. Now this may be the same as the external FQDN, but then again it might not be.

Double check that and try again.

3. Thanks to snagrat from:

soveryapt (22nd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snagrat View Post
    The exchange server FQDN needs to be the internal domain name. Now this may be the same as the external FQDN, but then again it might not be.

Double check that and try again.
    Yeah, tried the various things grabbed from email headers but to no joy. Thanks.

Thank Post
    I'm in exactly the same position.

I'm hoping to get the migration complete over the weekend, any help will be much appreciated.

Has anyone successfully migrated their email accounts from OCL to Office 365?

Thanks
    Ste

6. Thanks to Zeewolf from:

soveryapt (24th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Do you know if it is possible?

I know nothing about OCL but you need Outlook Anywhere enabled on the exchange server for a cut over migration.

Test Outlook anywhere using the Exchange Connectivity Tool and post any errors

8. Thanks to snagrat from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply snagrat.

Using the RPC/HTTP connectivity test, everything appears to pass fine until the very last routine which produces this error:

Attempting to ping RPC endpoint 6001 (Exchange Information Store) on server smtpin.lancsngfl.ac.uk.
    The attempt to ping the endpoint failed.
    Additional Details
    The RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE error (0x6ba) was thrown by the RPC Runtime process.
    Elapsed Time: 3163 ms.

From what I've read so far, it's probably a firewall or Outlook Anywhere issue. But as it's a hosted exchange I won't be able to troubleshoot.

OCL have told me that other schools are migrating over to Office 365, so I'm hoping it is possible.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks
    Ste

Thank Post
    I had the 6001 problem on a recent Cutover migration. It turned out Outlook Anywhere wasn't enabled, but being a local exchange I could enable it.

Sorry can't be more help, suggest its a call to the hosting service to find out how they can assist.

Thank Post
    I know a few schools that have moved from OCL to 365 and a company has done this for them. They implied that auto discover isn't set up on the exchange servers. All your mailboxes that you want to move need to be un hidden in the address list.

12. Thanks to LukeC from:

Thank Post
    Not looking promising at the moment, looks like I might have to export all the mailboxes individually

I'll give OCL a call on Monday before I do that.

Thanks for your advise guys.

Ste

Thank Post
    Or you could use IMAP, again if the ports are open.

Only does mail mind, so if people have calendar/contact items these will not migrate.

15. Thanks to snagrat from:

Thank Post
    Yeah just testing one of the accounts on IMAP now - looks like I'm going to be here a long time!

Ste

Thank Post
    Always the old fashioned way of creating a new Outlook profile, connecting the old <mail service> account, copy to PST. Create a new profile for the user with 0365 and open and copy the data from the PST. Rinse and repeat.

It'll take somewhere from an hour or two to forever depending on your number of mailboxes, but it will work.

18. Thanks to Trapper from:

Thank Post
    Hi All

Thanks for all your replies. I've got some people a bit higher up in OCL helping me try and get information at the moment (I put in a complaint after lots of issues with moving away) so hopefully I'll have some more news soon.

OCL are claiming they provided me with the admin username and password for migration so they've done their part, I've pointed out that since they provided me with them, I've been asking for the server details to be able to use them, so I've sent across all the information (and help tips) that O365 provides during the CutOver setup, and I've also sent these to the County Councillor that has been helping me to hope their weight will bring some answers before it's too late (i.e. this weekend!) Talk about last minute, I swear OCL are either doing it on purpose because so many people have left or they don't actually have any expertise in house anymore (I hear they've seconded in a few of the old folk to help with the backlog .. but hey).

If anyone has any information sooner I'd love to hear it, and as soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to paste up what I know!

Thanks again
    Andy

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies. I've got some people a bit higher up in OCL helping me try and get information at the moment (I put in a complaint after lots of issues with moving away) so hopefully I'll have some more news soon.

OCL are claiming they provided me with the admin username and password for migration so they've done their part, I've pointed out that since they provided me with them, I've been asking for the server details to be able to use them, so I've sent across all the information (and help tips) that O365 provides during the CutOver setup, and I've also sent these to the County Councillor that has been helping me to hope their weight will bring some answers before it's too late (i.e. this weekend!) Talk about last minute, I swear OCL are either doing it on purpose because so many people have left or they don't actually have any expertise in house anymore (I hear they've seconded in a few of the old folk to help with the backlog .. but hey).

If anyone has any information sooner I'd love to hear it, and as soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to paste up what I know!

Thanks again
    Andy

- - - Updated - - -

I know nothing about OCL but you need Outlook Anywhere enabled on the exchange server for a cut over migration.

OCL state that it is.

- - - Updated - - -

OCL state that it is.

Thank Post
    Hi Folks

Just had this back (personal details to school in question replaced):

Account with Privileges (domain\username) - lancssch\<schoolnumber>-itcoord
    Password of Account with Privileges - schools should know this – if not they can reset through admin console
    Exchange Server - mailstore6.lancs.sch.local
    RPC Proxy Server - outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk
    Authentication (NTLM or Basic) - NTLM
    Mailbox Permission (Full Access or Domain Admin) - Full Access I think

Now, I don't know how many mail servers they run, so they may or may not work for others. I've managed to get it to verify for myself, so hopefully it will help someone out.

The schoolnumber it refers to is Lancashires reference for the school.

I think you will have needed to contact OCL before hand to make sure the relevant permissions have been authenticated to you though.

Hope this helps
    Andy

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Folks

Just had this back (personal details to school in question replaced):

Account with Privileges (domain\username) - lancssch\<schoolnumber>-itcoord
    Password of Account with Privileges - schools should know this – if not they can reset through admin console
    Exchange Server - mailstore6.lancs.sch.local
    RPC Proxy Server - outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk
    Authentication (NTLM or Basic) - NTLM
    Mailbox Permission (Full Access or Domain Admin) - Full Access I think

Now, I don't know how many mail servers they run, so they may or may not work for others. I've managed to get it to verify for myself, so hopefully it will help someone out.

The schoolnumber it refers to is Lancashires reference for the school.

I think you will have needed to contact OCL before hand to make sure the relevant permissions have been authenticated to you though.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Thank Post
    Just to let all know, I've just run the migration from OCL to O365 and it's gone really well. A few system accounts (no replies / spam etc) that obviously have shown as failed because there's nothing to sync with in O365, but the details I posted above have done the trick for me.

Hopefully others who have been struggling might be able to get done now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast