+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
CLEO Thread, The LightSpeed Filtering issue thread in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by SimpleSi Just had a person call into the school I'm at today to see if we'd like ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Just had a person call into the school I'm at today to see if we'd like to buy any "Lightspeed Training" - bursar sent em away
    Training! Why would anyone want to pay for training when all of the manuals are available online?!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy02 View Post
    Training! Why would anyone want to pay for training when all of the manuals are available online?!?
    Because some of the primaries don't have proper support and will get the training from them.

They will have a hard time if they do any training in my schools, my first job was to rename everything and redo all the assignments etc... so its not going to match the script at all. I've also got AD filtering turned on so its completely different again.

Thank Post
    Any one else still on xp and ie8? we are due to upgrade to windows 7 in summer. But now have a strange problem using the show my homework site since moving over to the new proxy setings via http://pac.education.btlsl.co.uk/
    When we use the new filter lightspeed the show my homework site hangs with a white screen and never loads it is fine with the old proxy.lancsngfl.ac.uk in and also fine if we use chrome or firefox.Show my home work have said its something to do with the way the filter works with the javascript but have no clue. Oneconnect say they have no clue but lightspeed are bringing out an alternative. In the meantime pupils can no longer use show my home work and staff on windows 7 ie9 complain because all the javascript bits in show my home work take an age to load. When we swapped over to the new pac file it made every website go into compatibility mode because the new filter makes internet explorer (ie8/ie9) think every site is an intranet page. We got around this by changing the setting that makes internet explorer display intranet pages in compatibility view. Any ideas why lightspeed would be blocking the javascript?

Thank Post
    To be honest, if it works in Chrome and Firefox, I'd say Lightspeed isn't to blame. Are you Sure Show My Homework still support IE8? Sounds to me like a browser issue.

Thank Post
    You can't make this up:

http://community.lightspeedsystems.com/product-information/documentation/web-filter/

Sorry, community.lightspeedsystemystems.com is not currently accessible because it is an unknown website.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H4rvy123 View Post
    You can't make this up:

http://community.lightspeedsystems.com/product-information/documentation/web-filter/

Sorry, community.lightspeedsystemystems.com is not currently accessible because it is an unknown website.

community.lightspeedsystemystems.com

Pretty weird url

try community.lightspeedsystems.com instead.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejay View Post
    Any one else still on xp and ie8? we are due to upgrade to windows 7 in summer. But now have a strange problem using the show my homework site since moving over to the new proxy setings via http://pac.education.btlsl.co.uk/
    When we use the new filter lightspeed the show my homework site hangs with a white screen and never loads it is fine with the old proxy.lancsngfl.ac.uk in and also fine if we use chrome or firefox.Show my home work have said its something to do with the way the filter works with the javascript but have no clue. Oneconnect say they have no clue but lightspeed are bringing out an alternative. In the meantime pupils can no longer use show my home work and staff on windows 7 ie9 complain because all the javascript bits in show my home work take an age to load. When we swapped over to the new pac file it made every website go into compatibility mode because the new filter makes internet explorer (ie8/ie9) think every site is an intranet page. We got around this by changing the setting that makes internet explorer display intranet pages in compatibility view. Any ideas why lightspeed would be blocking the javascript?
    Why didn't I realise that yesterday? Found the same solution to get around the compatibility issue but I never thought that it had only started since the new filter went in place.

As a slight aside, has anyone else had issues with Prezi? I have had issues getting embedded videos to show. They work fine on the old filter, but as soon we switch over the video won't load.

Also, Google Images has been a little "crash happy" of late. I'm guessing this is a script issue of some kind but it is sending our ICT teachers nuts! I'm hoping that the change compaibility mode has stopped this as I haven't had any more reports but only time will tell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    To be honest, if it works in Chrome and Firefox, I'd say Lightspeed isn't to blame. Are you Sure Show My Homework still support IE8? Sounds to me like a browser issue.
    Works fine in ie8 and ie9 without the new lightspeed proxy? it only messes up when you go through the lightspeed filter? works fine via proxy.lancsngfl.ac.uk also worked fine using wwwcache.cleo.net.uk. The only thing thats changed is we have gone to http://pac.education.btlsl.co.uk/

Thank Post
    That's just how it cuts and pastes from the browser. The link was the url (it truncates it on the denied screen) and that's how it copied out of the browser.

Thank Post
    Eureka
    Using lancs email addresses as temp override authority so teachers can get on with things in-between peripetic technician visits

Create a new lancsngfl email address called web@school.lancs.sch.uk (use your real school)

Goto Dashboard - Administration and then Add Authentication Source
    stick email in all boxes (or anything you want) but put in outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk for mail server and tick the encrypt and end user use.

Goto Webfile - Override Users and create a new list called web, description web
    Edit it and Add User
    Search for web - click on it - change Name to web@school.lancs.sch.uk
    Enter web as description

Goto WebFilter and Policy Management - Rule Sets - Students
    Scroll to Access page
    Select Require Username and select Restrict username as well and select web for username access

Then make sure all the overrides boxes are ticked for every category you want staff to be able to override and that web is selected

And I think that does it
    I've got it working so if it doesn't work for you then its probably my instructions

Simon

11. 2 Thanks to SimpleSi:

Joanne (7th May 2014), Smed (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    @SimpleSi you can use the Add Authentication Source to add your AD domain, then setup the filtering based on AD groups/OUs (like it will be in the end).

If you turn on Allow users to authenticate from the access page when blocked then staff can change to their AD account using the not you link in the top left next to Unknown User. This also has the advantage of requiring zero input later when OCL let us use the agent as your users will just start auto authenticating.

Thank Post
    All would be great with auto auth; just think what might happen when a teacher lets a kid use her laptop (especially if it's connected to the projector)

Thank Post
    @Arcath
    I don't use AD in any of my schools
    Simple shared folders for pupil work

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H4rvy123 View Post
    All would be great with auto auth; just think what might happen when a teacher lets a kid use her laptop (especially if it's connected to the projector)
    The override login only lasts for 20 minutes (unless you increase it) so it could be worse...

I have a copy of the agent but it doesn't work no matter what you set the ID_SERVER to. OCL are dragging their feet and wont really give me a reason why I cant use it now.
    @SimpleSi Oh...I bet changing the internet settings on everything was fun...

Thank Post
    I use open source WPKG for software/settings deployment

17. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Alis_Klar (6th October 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast