+ Post New Thread
CLEO Thread, OCL have done something right in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I know - who'd thought you'd EVER hear me me say something good about the Dark Lords! The new lightspeed ...

Thank Post

OCL have done something right

I know - who'd thought you'd EVER hear me me say something good about the Dark Lords!

The new lightspeed filtering is transparent to us so now the whole issue of dropbox proxy switching on teacher laptops has disappeared.

No more desktop icons for dropbox in school/dropbox on laptop

A happy bunny

And as well as that it does seem to be way ahead of the old filtering in terms of facilities. I could dod with a guide on how to setup overides though as that looks like the answer to teacher machines being allowed access to say youtube but deny to pupils

(I don't use AD)

Simon

Thank Post
    Same here. So far the controls seem much easier to put in place. Took me a white to get our connection working, but that was mainly because of me being stupid!

The possible issues to AD integration might be a bit of an issue. Not too sure about the instructions as they seem to say we'd need to redo our IP ranges (not something I like the idea of) to get full integration.

On a major positive note, it does seem to fully redirect HTTPS in Google for image searches even when you're logged in to a Google Account which was a bit of an issue for us in the past.

Thank Post
    assuming lightspeed you use is the same as schools broadband use in schools. Set up policies for teacher and pupils and ideally assign them based on ad if not give all your staff devices an ip in specfic range and apply your filtering policy to the staff ip group

Thank Post
    I'll have to have a play with the ip ranges but I like the idea of just doing an overide once a day (if thats how it works) with a simple password as then no messing around with ip ranges needed

Simon

Thank Post
    The transparent proxy is great, I've had to change many apps that used it but in the long-term it will make everything much easier :-)

Thank Post
    The AD filtering is half here now!

You can add your domain as an authentication source and then use the Allow users to authenticate from the access page blocked setting to let your teachers put in their username and password to swap to a policy assigned to their group.

From what I can see we need the Lightspeed User Agent service before we can have the machines authenticate using the currently logged in user automatically. I've emailed the service desk about but I've not heard back yet.

Thank Post
    OH what I have found just now thats a right PITA is that the lightspeed device has our throughput hard set so the school i'm in now that has a wireless link has seen their speed drop from 17-20Mbps to the throttled 10Mbps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread