+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
CLEO Thread, No AD Filtering with Lightspeed for now in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); We have had it through on the portal. It is listed as "Connect2Education Lightspeed Filtering - Confirmation of Switch Over". ...
    Thank Post
    We have had it through on the portal. It is listed as "Connect2Education Lightspeed Filtering - Confirmation of Switch Over". It gives you a link which takes you to a page with a simple form to fill in. We got ours on 25th Feb.

Thank Post
    I'd heard that only the phase 1 schools had to confirm that they had been transferred

Thank Post
    Well I'm phase 2 and compelte my change over did have to enable automatically detect settings in IE to ,make it work with our local Eclipse.net (Web page with Sliverlight, SQL based with automatic AD logon)

Thank Post
    On a plus side I can now use Meraki Manager to manage the PC's and Servers now they don't use a proxy setting

Thank Post
    Hmm you cant seem to unblock things in the locked categories eg sourceforge download servers! I have put it in the ready made allow policy which I have done with some other sites but this seems to be the way it's set up.

Thank Post
    Well it's as I thought; if a site is in a locked category it cannot be unlocked. You have to submit a request to LightSpeed to get it recategorised ! downloads.sourceforge.net is classed as computers.filehosting but kent.dl.sourceforge.net (or any other mirror) is categorised as security.virus and as such is locked.

Thank Post
    having a load of issues with this in the school i look after, how do you get in to change these groups/classifications? I guess I'm dependent upon OCL actually supplying me with the info... Oh well not long left till April and a move to a new connection. You'd have thought they'd have left it until after April, why school that are leaving OCL have to do all this messing around for 2 weeks is crazy!

Thank Post
    Chris, I assume we request it to OCL and they pass this on to LS? or can we go direct to LS?

Thank Post
    Buzzard

I am in the same boat as you, I get the impression they are using the schools that are leaving as their testing of the system.

Thank Post
    You have to submit the request yourself to:

Take A Look Inside Our Internet Filter and Antivirus Databases - Lightspeed Systems

This is an automated response to your review request submitted on 3/11/2014 4:41 AM (PST) for kent.dl.sourceforge.net.

Review time: 3/11/2014 7:47 AM
    Logged category: <none>
    Updated category: security.virus
    Review reason: SUBMITTED FROM ARCHIVE: This is a locked category on our top tier and as such cannot be overridden by our provider. This is the source for a lot of open source software and as such it needs to be available to schools. Can this please be re-categorised into the same category as its parent domain sourceforge.net

If the category has not been changed the database team has determined that the site is categorized correctly in accordance with our published category descriptions. If you still feel you need to access this site please contact your local system administrator.

* Depending on the configuration of your local system, this update may take anywhere from 1 to 24 hours to reach you.

Lightspeed Systems
    Database Team
    I can't tell if that means it has been changed or it's saying check it later and if it hasn't we haven't approved it .

Thank Post
    Checking on it now in the Categorized Sites bit it says its now in the security category.

Thank Post
    you can put the request direct to lightspeed and they will look at the classification. As far as I am aware OCL pulls the settings down from LightSpeed so LightSpeed have the final say

Thank Post
    Just had a chat with OCL about the lightspeed agent and AD integration in general, their stance atm is that if you use AD filtering on lightspeed your doing it at your own risk as they don't support it yet.

I personally don't see any reason not to, I've used lightspeed with @SchoolsBroadband and its exactly the same so unless OCL do something to break it there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the agent is concerned it doesn't work at all and due to their lack of support they cant/wont tell me if its my settings or theirs that are stopping it.

I was told it would be a couple of weeks/beginning of april before they would be rolling it out to schools. (I have heard this before though)

Thank Post
    Meh .. OCL .. my recommendation, get out of the "dark side" when you first get chance to one of the various people who actually know what they're doing and recognise that actually, we're the clients and therefore we have a voice in what is happening .. I've moved away from the Online Services (still have SIMS Support with them as they have schools over a barrel with them holding the main licenses) but I'm still having problems with OCL.

School's (in my humble opinion) need to grow a pair and stand up to OCL and not let themselves get trampled by their bullying tactics .. but as I say, that's just my humble opinion ..

As for Lightspeed, from what I heard it is meant to be a good product, it's just a shame as with anything else the OCL lot get their hands on, it's broken in the way they supply it. They just don't seem to have the technical knowledge that they once had back in the Westfield days, but hey, they did get in bed with BT, and we all know that their expertise exists in the form of scripts shipped out to the far eastern call centres ..

15. Thanks to soveryapt from:

buzzard (16th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    School's (in my humble opinion) need to grow a pair and stand up to OCL and not let themselves get trampled by their bullying tactics .. but as I say, that's just my humble opinion ..
    I would love to be able to take this stance, however I can't justify 5k-10k a year more for an equivelent connection which is all that is stopping me at the moment....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast