+ Post New Thread
CLEO Thread, One Connect Webinar - 25th November 11am - 5pm in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Looks like they are changing their filtering system. Although its probably too late for us (too many nails in the ...

Thank Post

One Connect Webinar - 25th November 11am - 5pm

Looks like they are changing their filtering system.
    Although its probably too late for us (too many nails in the coffin) I hope they have looked into providing a self-managed connection if needed by schools (real ip, setting your own firewall rules). Perhaps we will find out.

Title: ICT Network Managers and Technicians Meeting
    Description:
    At the School's ICT Focus group it was agreed that regular meetings between School ICT Network Managers and One Connect Limited should be scheduled.

The first of these was on 22 May 2013 and covered a wide range of topics. The second will be on the 25 November at 11am and will be focused on the new products from Lightspeed that will form part of your Connect2Education bundle next year. This session will be delivered as a webinar that you can log on to from school.
    Topics covered will include:
    Lightspeed Filtering
    Mobile Device Manager
    My Big Campus Virtual Learning Environment
    Conferencing details and a finalised agenda will be provided closer to the date.
    If you work in an ICT role in a supported school and would like to participate in this meeting please visit https://schoolsportal.lancsngfl.ac.u...gate/index.asp to reserve a place.

Thank Post
    Times should be 11am - 1pm (email received today from One Connnect with correct times)

Thank Post
    When you say too late for you, are you looking at moving away from their services? I only ask as I was having the same discussion with the business premises manager the other day as we're having constant issues at the moment .. I'd be interested to know whether you're looking to change all, or just swap out certain provisions, but keep things such as SIMS support etc?

Thank Post
    Moving away. We have already done the following:
    SIMS - direct to Capita
    Moodle - on-site now
    Email - Office 365 (free)
    Remote desktop - Microsoft Remote Desktop Gateway (included in existing licencing/hardware)

Left to do:
    Website - on-site (relatively quick, just need to re-sync the copy I have on-site and change the external DNS)
    Antivirus - Waiting for quotes (also a quick one, probably staying with sophos, will require a change on our server to get the updates directly from sophos, but everything else should continue to work as normal)
    Broadband & Filtering - Last thing to move, waiting for quotes.

The final decision to cancel/move will go to governors next month.
    After that its down to installation dates from the new broadband supplier - Dates will overlap with One Connect so that we get ~1 month change over period.
    Last edited by Frazer; 21st November 2013 at 12:55 PM.

5. Thanks to Frazer from:

soveryapt (21st November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazer View Post
    Moving away. We have already done the following:
    SIMS - direct to Capita
    Moodle - on-site now
    Email - Office 365 (free)
    Remote desktop - Microsoft Remote Desktop Gateway (included in existing licencing/hardware)

Left to do:
    Website - on-site (relatively quick, just need to re-sync the copy I have on-site and change the external DNS)
    Antivirus - Waiting for quotes
    Broadband & Filtering - Last thing to move, waiting for quotes.

The final decision to cancel/move will go to governors next month.
    After that its down to installation dates from the new broadband supplier - Dates will overlap with One Connect so that we get ~1 month change over period.
    I've not looked at pricing on the SIMS front as yet as they were thinking to keep that, but how does it compare for you with them vs OCL? I'm already looking at Office 365 for the mail as well - like you say, free, and less of a learning curve for staff as they already use the OWA from OCL ..

Thank Post
    The change to Capita support wasn't something I was heavily involved in - it was done prior to our 'leaving One Connect' project so I couldn't comment on the price.
    Best thing to do is contact them and get a quote. Dont forget to twist their arm :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazer View Post
    The change to Capita support wasn't something I was heavily involved in - it was done prior to our 'leaving One Connect' project so I couldn't comment on the price.
    Best thing to do is contact them and get a quote. Dont forget to twist their arm :-)
    Indeed. Been looking at their SwordFish document Management solution actually, so I've just dropped this into conversation about the possibility of their being the whole SIMS contract up for grabs with a "what can you do to help" remark in there. See what happens

Thank Post
    Be careful when moving SIMS, there are currently licensing issues

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread