+ Post New Thread
CLEO Thread, Moodle Migration in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Has anyone successfully migrated their Moodle from LancsNGFL to an onsite server? My plan is to run Moodle 1.9.18 - ...

Thank Post

Moodle Migration

Has anyone successfully migrated their Moodle from LancsNGFL to an onsite server?

My plan is to run Moodle 1.9.18 - mirroring the setup at LancsNGFL, albeit hosted on Hyper-V CentOS.
    I want to end up with an exact replica so that the transfer is seamless.

What steps did you take?
    Any gotchas?
    Did you get the CLEO MIS import working? (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=98792)
    Does the above work the same as whats available on the hosted lancsngfl site?

Did you need oneconnect to provide you with data?
    Which data?

Is it possible without going via oneconnect? (using the Moodle menus)
    how?/what steps were required?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazer View Post
    Has anyone successfully migrated their Moodle from LancsNGFL to an onsite server?

My plan is to run Moodle 1.9.18 - mirroring the setup at LancsNGFL, albeit hosted on Hyper-V CentOS.
    I want to end up with an exact replica so that the transfer is seamless.

What steps did you take?
    Any gotchas?
    Did you get the CLEO MIS import working? (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=98792)
    Does the above work the same as whats available on the hosted lancsngfl site?

Did you need oneconnect to provide you with data?
    Which data?

Is it possible without going via oneconnect? (using the Moodle menus)
    how?/what steps were required?
    We use a company called overnet data and the sub contract to a firm called remote learner and they are capable of talking to your current providet and liasing with you to move the data across ! We currently have a moodle that works as a vle for 1900 kids and works well!

Speak to them see if they are able to sort it for you !

Thank Post
    If you want your student data (ie assignments, forum posts etc) then you do need to go via One Connect. If you just want the course content then you don't need One Connect; you could backup and then restore the courses to an empty 1.9.18 - although obviously that is very old and not on the normal downloads page of Moodle - but if you change the URL of the 1.9.19 download you will get it. Or just use 1.9.19 - it will be ok.) I can't answer for the MIS upload as my former school (Our Lady's Preston) didn't use it but I presume you are aware there are other non-standard modules which will need to be added as well. We/they actually set up a blank Moodle 2 and restored the courses into there (that works without data) and got from One Connect the whole old Moodle to be used locally for the duration of Year 11s time in school, with the aim of everyone being moved over to the new Moodle 2 by September just gone.
    On the other hand, as mentioned above, you can get a Moodle partner (such as Remote Learner) to do the hard work for you, but I wouldn't imagine they will want to give you a Moodle 1.9 without pressing you to upgrade to 2

Thank Post
    Hi Both,
    Thanks for the info - I wanted to stick with 1.9.18 just to match what we already have, to avoid any potential problems and just get the data onsite and working.
    Once its on site I can then make copies at my leisure and run through some test upgrades to 2.x and how we might handle the loss/change of MIS imports.

One Connect wont give me a copy of the complete moodle site (including the www pages/patched MIS import) which would really help me get an exact site up and running here.
    They will only give me SQL database, moodledata and themes.

So far I've not had much luck in getting the MIS imports working from the link above. It seems to have stopped working after moodle 1.9.4.

If we didnt use the MIS groups so heavily, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Thank Post
    Just for those following this thread:
    I've managed to get 1.9.18 working with the CLEO import tool.
    I've tested this with the reports from SIMS.net (classes + users) and uploaded them to the test site. Users and groups appear as they should.

1.9.18 from here Index of /stable19
    CLEO MIS Tool from here: https://git.luns.net.uk/cleo_mis_tool.git/ (download the latest snapshot, I used 2009-02-03)

1. Install Moodle as per documentation
    2. Extract CLEO MIS tool.
    3. Rename the 'en_uf8' directory under \cleo_mis_tool\local\lang\ to 'en_utf8_local'
    4. Move the 'lang' directory from \cleo_mis_tool\local\ to your Moodle directory
    5. Move the 'local' directory from \cleo_mis_tool\ to your Moodle directory
    6. Install the three CLEO patches as per documentation from the README.txt
    7. Visit the Moodle admin page, example http://www.school.com/moodle/admin

You should now have MIS Uploads under the Users section in Moodle.

I've yet to test this with our Moodle data from One Connect, hopefully we will get this next week.

6. Thanks to Frazer from:

secretlife (23rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    Update:
    Transferred the following from LancsNGFL to our server on site
    1. Moodle data (200GB tar file)
    2. SQL database
    3. School Themes

Extract the Moodle data to the relevant directory (as specified in config.php).

Import the SQL database to a new database (dont overwrite the default moodle one as it causes problems) - http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Site_restore

Remove the entry in 'alternativeloginurl' from the imported SQL database, under the 'config' table

Make sure the all the relevant entries in config.php are set correctly.
    Passwordsaltmain should be sent to you as part of your export. Table prefix needs blanking as the SQL database I got didnt have mdl_ prefixed on all of them as per default install.
    If your site is behind MS TMG, you may need to look at this for a quiz related problem: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11061

Extracted the themes and copied them to your /www/moodle/themes/ directory

Check Moodle > Server > Environment for dependencies
    Check Moodle > Server > System Paths for dependencies / file locations

You may need to convert the database to UTF-8, Converting your MySQL database to UTF8 - MoodleDocs

Next on the list is how to back it up efficiently.
    Last edited by Frazer; 6th November 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazer View Post
    CLEO MIS Tool from here: https://git.luns.net.uk/cleo_mis_tool.git/ (download the latest snapshot, I used 2009-02-03)
    Wow people still use this? Good to know

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread