+ Post New Thread
CLEO Thread, Web Filtering for IPADS using NED in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I have just setup our NED box and integrated it with AD. All is fine with that, PCs and Laptops ...

Thank Post

Web Filtering for IPADS using NED

I have just setup our NED box and integrated it with AD. All is fine with that, PCs and Laptops are filtering as they should with students and staff.
    I went to check one of the ipads and access a known blocked site using an authenitcated student to find that it bypasses the NED box blacklist and routes directly out!!

I have noticed there is no setting on an ipad to specify the auto config script, it only allows me to input proxy server setting.

Our main issue with this is that we are in the middle of writing an AUP to allow YouTube access to in our school. This would be then filtered at the NED to only allow access to staff, and block for all students, but if the NED can't filter ipads then we cannot go forward with this!

we have around 40 ipads, plus more are due to be rolled out in the up and coming months.

Has anybody got this working? Anybody found a workaround? I am better off scrapping the NED and buying in a more inteligent Web filter such as sophos??
    Last edited by KarlBlacklock; 18th January 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Having found an old thread, I have put in the DNS name of the NED box as the Proxy server, enabled authentication and this seems to work for now. Has anybody else applied this?
    I know in all of CLEO's documentation it says not to use this, but if it works then I'll use ut!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlBlacklock View Post
    Has anybody got this working? Anybody found a workaround? I am better off scrapping the NED and buying in a more inteligent Web filter such as sophos??
    Sophos?

I'd have thought something like Smoothwall would have been better.......?

Thank Post
    I have found a workaround for this. In the Manual proxy settings for the Ipad, I input the local DNS name for the NED box, turn authenitcation on, and input the username and password for the user.

This causes the iPad to follow NED filtering policies according to the username you have used

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread