+ Post New Thread
Classified Adverts Thread, 50+ RM Ascend 2800 All In One PC's in Purchasing and Trading; ...
    Thank Post

50+ RM Ascend 2800 All In One PC's

Due to upgrades over summer, we have over 50 RM Ascend 2800 All in One PC's for sale.

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
    512MB DDR2 RAM
    40GB HDD
    15" TFT
    Windows XP License

We're hoping for £45 each, but are open to offers.
    Would prefer to sell as a job lot, but may split.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    Due to upgrades over summer, we have over 50 RM Ascend 2800 All in One PC's for sale.
    It might just be worth pointing out that these should take standard-sized motherboards (Mini-ITX?), so you can replace the current motherboard with something shiny and new. I understand that Microsoft will let you transfer COA licenses to new hardware on payment of a £20 or so fee - I could have sworn @nephilim posted about this a while ago, but I can't find the post now. Best check with your Microsoft reseller first. Motherboard + RAM + £20 should come to around £100, so these could potentially be a very nice set of compact workstations for around £150 each. These would look good in our tech room...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    It might just be worth pointing out that these should take standard-sized motherboards (Mini-ITX?), so you can replace the current motherboard with something shiny and new. I understand that Microsoft will let you transfer COA licenses to new hardware on payment of a £20 or so fee - I could have sworn @nephilim posted about this a while ago, but I can't find the post now. Best check with your Microsoft reseller first. Motherboard + RAM + £20 should come to around £100, so these could potentially be a very nice set of compact workstations for around £150 each. These would look good in our tech room...
    Thanks - That's exactly what we've done with another 50 of these! replaced motherboard, RAM & Processor with very little trouble. It took 2 techies a day (per room of 25) to remove RM parts, put new in and then image. Once we got going we could have the hardware changed within 15 minutes per machine. Just the fiddly connections for power switch etc slowing us down!

These are the spares from where we've replaced complete machines rather than an 'in house' upgrade.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    These are the spares from where we've replaced complete machines rather than an 'in house' upgrade.
    How much did you spend per machine on upgrades?

I seem to remember a few posts about power supplies on RM machines - have yours held out okay? Are they a standard, replaceable type in these machines? Any dead screens / pixels on your other machines, or is everything quite reliable?

I assume the VGA port is accesible on the outside of the case so we can plug a VGA splitter in to a machine for connection to a projector?

Thank Post
    I did open a post about these machines. Out of 250 in the school, I've had around 10 die with screen power issues. I managed to source the parts from RM at £12 each which has sorted them out. No dead pixels though.

Power supplies for the machines themselves have been fine - I've not had one go yet. The power supplies in them are slightly smaller than average.

The cables are all hidden behind a security panel which come through a small hole to the outside world! We've used them with VGA splitters with no problems. a VGA extension is needed though to reconnect the onboard TFT as the cable is only 6" long.

The upgrades were around £100 each. we bought a barebones motherboard bundle from PC Components, Desktop PCs, Laptops, LCD TVs & Computer Hardware to save us on the time setting the boards up and adding processor, heatsink and RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    How much did you spend per machine on upgrades?

I seem to remember a few posts about power supplies on RM machines - have yours held out okay? Are they a standard, replaceable type in these machines? Any dead screens / pixels on your other machines, or is everything quite reliable?

I assume the VGA port is accesible on the outside of the case so we can plug a VGA splitter in to a machine for connection to a projector?

Thank Post
    Hi,

I've PM'd you an offer.

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread