+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Classified Adverts Thread, 50+ RM Ascend 2800 All In One PC's in Purchasing and Trading; ...
  1. #1
    adamchapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    50+ RM Ascend 2800 All In One PC's

    Due to upgrades over summer, we have over 50 RM Ascend 2800 All in One PC's for sale.

    Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
    512MB DDR2 RAM
    40GB HDD
    15" TFT
    Windows XP License

    We're hoping for £45 each, but are open to offers.
    Would prefer to sell as a job lot, but may split.

  2. #2

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,724
    Thank Post
    1,287
    Thanked 797 Times in 693 Posts
    Rep Power
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    Due to upgrades over summer, we have over 50 RM Ascend 2800 All in One PC's for sale.
    It might just be worth pointing out that these should take standard-sized motherboards (Mini-ITX?), so you can replace the current motherboard with something shiny and new. I understand that Microsoft will let you transfer COA licenses to new hardware on payment of a £20 or so fee - I could have sworn @nephilim posted about this a while ago, but I can't find the post now. Best check with your Microsoft reseller first. Motherboard + RAM + £20 should come to around £100, so these could potentially be a very nice set of compact workstations for around £150 each. These would look good in our tech room...

  3. #3
    adamchapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    It might just be worth pointing out that these should take standard-sized motherboards (Mini-ITX?), so you can replace the current motherboard with something shiny and new. I understand that Microsoft will let you transfer COA licenses to new hardware on payment of a £20 or so fee - I could have sworn @nephilim posted about this a while ago, but I can't find the post now. Best check with your Microsoft reseller first. Motherboard + RAM + £20 should come to around £100, so these could potentially be a very nice set of compact workstations for around £150 each. These would look good in our tech room...
    Thanks - That's exactly what we've done with another 50 of these! replaced motherboard, RAM & Processor with very little trouble. It took 2 techies a day (per room of 25) to remove RM parts, put new in and then image. Once we got going we could have the hardware changed within 15 minutes per machine. Just the fiddly connections for power switch etc slowing us down!

    These are the spares from where we've replaced complete machines rather than an 'in house' upgrade.

  4. #4

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,724
    Thank Post
    1,287
    Thanked 797 Times in 693 Posts
    Rep Power
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    These are the spares from where we've replaced complete machines rather than an 'in house' upgrade.
    How much did you spend per machine on upgrades?

    I seem to remember a few posts about power supplies on RM machines - have yours held out okay? Are they a standard, replaceable type in these machines? Any dead screens / pixels on your other machines, or is everything quite reliable?

    I assume the VGA port is accesible on the outside of the case so we can plug a VGA splitter in to a machine for connection to a projector?

  5. #5
    adamchapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    I did open a post about these machines. Out of 250 in the school, I've had around 10 die with screen power issues. I managed to source the parts from RM at £12 each which has sorted them out. No dead pixels though.

    Power supplies for the machines themselves have been fine - I've not had one go yet. The power supplies in them are slightly smaller than average.

    The cables are all hidden behind a security panel which come through a small hole to the outside world! We've used them with VGA splitters with no problems. a VGA extension is needed though to reconnect the onboard TFT as the cable is only 6" long.

    The upgrades were around £100 each. we bought a barebones motherboard bundle from PC Components, Desktop PCs, Laptops, LCD TVs & Computer Hardware to save us on the time setting the boards up and adding processor, heatsink and RAM.

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    How much did you spend per machine on upgrades?

    I seem to remember a few posts about power supplies on RM machines - have yours held out okay? Are they a standard, replaceable type in these machines? Any dead screens / pixels on your other machines, or is everything quite reliable?

    I assume the VGA port is accesible on the outside of the case so we can plug a VGA splitter in to a machine for connection to a projector?

  6. #6

    Millgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    482
    Thanked 400 Times in 256 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Hi,

    I've PM'd you an offer.

    Cheers



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [Sold/Traded] 26 RM All In One PCs
    By SYSMAN_MK in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24th October 2008, 12:42 PM
  2. All In One PC's
    By Jay_Jay in forum Hardware
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 8th August 2008, 11:05 AM
  3. All-in-one PCs now starting at £379.00
    By Elky in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 01:27 PM
  4. All-in-one PCs now in stock
    By Elky in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th September 2007, 11:04 AM
  5. All in one PC with built in TFT
    By Kyle in forum Hardware
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 16th May 2006, 12:20 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •