+ Post New Thread
Classified Adverts Thread, Yaesu VX-7R in Purchasing and Trading; Or equivalent triband... Cash ready and waiting... Ben...
    Thank Post

Yaesu VX-7R

Or equivalent triband...

Cash ready and waiting...

Ben
    Last edited by Ben_Stanton; 6th November 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You may have better luck on Ham Radio Forum. Not fancy a Kenwood TH-F7E instead?

Thank Post
    Can I TX airband on that one?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, 'fraid not. FM only from 137-174 and 410-469. Isn't there a ham radio rally on down that way around December?

Thank Post
    Oooh, it would be good if there is, i'll check it out

If I didn't need airband it would be good but I need to use 2m too.

D'oh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just checked, and it appears that the one I thought of was in September, sorry

Yeah, looking at specs for VX7R, it's ideal for what you want. For general 2m/70cms/446 I've found the Kenwood to be ideal for most needs.

Thank Post
    Cheers webman

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    You may have better luck on Ham Radio Forum. Not fancy a Kenwood TH-F7E instead?
    Or maybe try Ham Radio Forum .Com

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    HamRadioForum.com is a cheap copy in an attempt to steal traffic from the older, more-popular HamRadioForum.net.

Thank Post

Perks

I'd be interested in a 2m/7cm transceiver.. if ones going cheapish..

Steve/G7BIM

Thank Post
    HamRadioForum.Com is a cheap copy in an attempt to steal traffic from the older, more-popular HamRadioForum.net.
    I beg your pardon.

I posted the link in order to offer an alternative site, that's all.

However, lets examine your arguments shall we?

First point: "...is a cheap..." WRONG! Ham Radio Forum.Com uses the very latest forum scripting, which involves paying for and renewing no less than three licenses each and every year. On the other hand hamradioforum.net uses a FREE copy of phpbb, which has been hacked to death to the point where where new members have their posts moderated until they prove themselves worthy members. Proof of this can be found on their site under the "HamRadioForum site discussion" section.

Second point: "...copy..." WRONG! If Ham Radio Forum.Com is as you suggest a 'copy' of hamradioforum.net then where can we find the members picture gallery and members blog sections on the site? I will tell you where: NOWHERE, because hamradioforum.net does not have a members gallery or a members blog section, so how can Ham Radio Forum.Com be a copy of the site you mention?

Third point: "...an attempt to steal traffic..." How can Ham Radio Forum.Com 'steal' anything which does not belong to, or is not owned by, hamradioforum.net in the first place? Or are you suggesting that the owners of hamradioforum.net have some kind of hereto unknown claim to all of the free spirited Radio Amateurs in the world that are in search of a forum?

Fourth point: "from the older" Older? Really? If we perform a whois domain name search on the web we find that:

Ham Radio Forum.Com was first registered on 06-Sep-2004.

HamRadioForum.Net was first registered on 24-Nov-2007

Which makes Ham Radio Forum.Com three years and two months OLDER than hamradioforum.net

73, JethroSmythe.
    Last edited by JethroSmythe; 3rd October 2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    JethroSmythe,

Forgetting domain registration dates for a moment, just how long exactly has an active ham radio forum been online at hamradioforum.com?

HRF.net didn't have that policy when I joiend; but it's a spam-prevention measure. Speaking of spam, members of HRF.net were bombarded with PMs advertising HamRadioForum.com - which is considered bad practice and annoying, at least.

If the owner of HamRadioForum.com needs to resort to that level of "recruitment" then I pity them.

Thank Post
    JethroSmythe,

Forgetting domain registration dates for a moment, just how long exactly has an active ham radio forum been online at hamradioforum.com?
    The earliest records of activity can be seen on the internet archive Wayback Machine website. The first archived page/s they have on there date to December 12th 2004.

The second record on the site dates to January 29th 2005.

These are a matter of public record and can be found at: Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Also, When the site was hacked many years ago (due to the previous owner running PHP-Nuke, another free, poorly engineered script), the hackers very kindly archived their handywork on their website.

Their hack was effected on the 26th March 2006. You can see this at: this hacking site.

So, on and off there has been activity at Ham Radio Forum.Com for nearly six years now, as opposed to the two years of activity at hamradioforum.net

By the expression 'on and off' I accept the fact that there may have been occasional periods of downtime due to script changes, and server problems, but even hamradioforum.net suffers from outages from time to time as can be seen recorded here Ham Radio Forum • View topic - Whoops - regarding Site Outage (on their own website), and also mentions of that site outage can be found on Twitter:

Twitter / Paul: HamRadioForum.net is free. ...

Twitter / Paul: @m0bov 99% up time, but wh ...

Also found these comments at James Ridout (m0bov) on Twitter

# hrf down again 9:27 AM Aug 21st from TwitterGadget
    # @m3php hrf is down more than its up now. wondering whether its worth it, we are losing punters.11:49 AM Aug 21st from TwitterGadget in reply to m3php
    73, JethroSmythe.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the page archives in 2004 and 2005 from the Wayback Machine, HamRadioForum.com is just a default PHPNuke installation with the default text - I would hardly class this as an active community.

Yes, HRF has had technical difficulties as a lot of sites do - but it's still online and still very popular.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information