+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, crazy quote for new server! what do you think? in School Administration; Hi guys Im pretty new to working in schools, and i.t to be honest as this is my first job ...
    Thank Post

crazy quote for new server! what do you think?

Hi guys

Im pretty new to working in schools, and i.t to be honest as this is my first job and have only been here a few months.

I dont really no the politics of prices charges within education for work undertaken but when i recieved a qoute for 14k my mouth dropped. Being a savvy person ive asked for a more detailed breakdown of the qoute and instalation. What do you guys think of this price? what would you expect to pay?

We have been basically looking for a new server to upgrade our our old nt system. All the cableing is there, we need no software (except server 2003), the main reason to upgrade truly is because we constantly run out of space on the nt system (obvously i could pop another hard drive in but were after a longer term solution).

The nt system seems to serve us well considering its age and specs so a flash server is not really needed. We have 31 pcs around the school (all cabled in) and around 15 laptops linked via 5 access points. 3 networked printers.

we asked for a qoute from our council (hampshire)who run edict and swan, which supplies us with our internet, as it seems alote easier to go through them as they supply us with everything else.

this is a basic breakdown of the qoute (figures are rounded)

sc1430 school server = £1670
    server 2003 = 70
    ordering and handling = 200
    project management = 950
    instalation = 8000!!!!!!
    training 370
    edictnet product fee = 300

varous other smaller bits which we asked for that make up the rest but are quite insignificant

now correct me if im wrong but when they install the server they will unplug the old one, plug in the new one, setup the printers etc, fiddle with some domain settings + migrate our nt users etc. Maybe have to logon to each computer at most and install some network monitoring tools or something. This to me seems like a days work for someone with experience.

could someone please put me in my place and tell me that im wrong and this is long job,because as of this moment im currently thinking of building the blinkin thing myself and saving a hell of a lot of money.

another quick question......2674 for office 2003 on 53 pcs? sound correct?

cheers for any help or information guys, any suggestions comments would be greatly appreciated

(p.s i assume this is in the correct forum, if not sorry and feel free to move it)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

re: crazy quote for new server! what do you think?

First off before I forget: Office licence is $50, so should only be £25-30 per licenece depending on exchange rate

What do they mean by project management? and I know how much work is involved in a server install, but £8k is pushing it a bit.

I may get shot for this, but give NSOptimum (the supplier I primarily use) a call and see what they'd do it for.

01926880300 and ask for Brian Higgins

Thank Post

i would love to tell you what "project management" is, maybe the man that does the ordering? or the guy that makes the tea? either way hes getting 950 quid for it

how much work is involved in this install do you think? id be really interested in the actual process of putting a new server in and the real time you think it might take

cheers for the quick reply, ill give those guys a ring and see what price they can give us, cheers again

Thank Post

Our local County guys took 2-3 days to put our new admin server in. They charged approx. £900! No project management charge, or product fee, or handling fee, or training fee that I hadn't asked for (maybe you did ask for training). I am also presuming you will need Server 2003 CALs for your PCs & Laptops. If you can get MS licenses on Select, I think these are around a fiver each machine. If you're confident enough, I would seriously consider sourcing and commisioning the server yourself, although this may depend on politics also! For example where I have added numerous servers to our curriculum network, it wasn't my place at the time to replace the one on the admin network.

Regarding Office, again if you can use Select, these are IIRC around 30-35 quid each.

Andy

Thank Post

I'd give them a call and ask if they made a typo. £8k to install a 1.6k server? c'mon. Tell you what, i'll do it for 1k plus expenses.

£800 would be acceptable, you could save money if you did it yourself, but it may be worth the cost to take the stress off your hands. If you sit and watch them, see what they do then you'd be more confident next time. Or if you feel confident and the school has faith in you go for it. Do it yourself. Word of caution though, i would buy the server. Not the components. Takes the hassel out of it if anything dies.

Thank Post

I suspect simple typo also £8K = £800

regards

Simon

Thank Post

It looks like a well dodgy quote, i mean almost 2k is just admin charges really (Like those ones that the banks use to charge to send you a letter to say your overdrawn or something) and 8k!!!. As stated by the others, I would setup the server yourself if you can and if not (or not worth the hastle) get more quotes. You are supposed to get 3 quotes anyway arent ya...

Thank Post

well the reason we only got this qoute so far is because this is who we were advised to use as a "managed" solution to a new server which would could be automated by the local council who supply our tinternet. Although 14k for a bit off an easy life doesnt seem justifiable.

If anyone on here works for edict/swan or hampshire or have this system installed i would love to hear your opinions. Seems to me that being overcharged by a group which works for the same people as you is a bit silly,

also just found out they we got a qoute a few years back for a seperate server in the office which incorparates 3 pcs and a printer. Guess what 3k installation only. Im really looking forward to the break dowN of the instalation charges they send

Thank Post

Thats appaling! Something very fishy there

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

I presume that you are a primary? Is there a local secondary you can ask for help with setting it up?

Ok ... onto the heart of the matter. The cost of the server seems ok, I have a few concerns about backup ... it is important even in primary.

Licences (Server and Office) seem ok, but you could call Pugh and Ramesys to check. Ordering and Handling ... a bit of a naff fee really, but they have to make money somewhere. I would have thought it was rolled into other parts ... but I will get to that in a minute.

Project Managment - £950 ... I am presuming that this is 2 days of work. If it is only one day then you are being way over charged. Installation ... £8000 ... I've seen worse. I would suggest that you ask for a breakdown of daily costs. To migrate from NT4 to Server 2003 for around 50 machines I would say it would be a max of a week ... 5 days ... presuming it is a server they often use I would think that have a working image that can be preloaded onto it ... if not then it would take a day and a half to build and patch ... and that is being nice, take another day to migrate users and files, and another day to add clients.

If they are going to do training on the days ear-marked for installations then you don't pay for the install on those days ...

I am presuming that the Edictnet product is some sort of user management tool or server managment tool they use?

One of the other things I don't see is any information about warranty ... either for the hardware or for the service.

Thank Post

warranty is an extra 5833 for 3 years, more crazy figures. I assumed the server would come with a spare drive raided for backup? if not then i guess well have to buy a tape drive or something.

You were right the edictnet is a user management tool, not sure how good it is, i think its likely some sort of copy of the one that ships with rm servers.

Although very tempted to do the job myself i think i probably am a bit too much of a newb, and although asking someone from the local schools to help would be nice, i dont want to have only them as a bakup if things go pear shaped.

So guys, Ive emailing RM tomoz, if anyone nos any other good companys that offer decent support then feel free to post them up. Ill get back on here with the qoutes if people are interested?

Thanks for all the help people

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by titch
    So guys, Ive emailing RM tomoz, if anyone nos any other good companys that offer decent support then feel free to post them up.
    Not sure everyone would class RM as a good company that offers decent support

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Have you tried NSOptimum? As long as you don't get network cables installed by them (although the offenders have been sacked), they are a good company and have very knowledgable Network Engineers and 3year warrenty

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would suggest that you get in touch with some other companies ASAP, those figures are way OTT for a school. An example:

We had, last year, 3 new servers to replace 2 old servers (with one being a nas box for backup). This cost us £6k for the servers and installation which included moving everything AD from the old to the new. Ok it was only 2003 - 2003 transfer but it took 2 days altogether. For what you want, it should not cost £8k simply for installation.

I would suggest contacting European Electronique, as they seem to provide excellent service and good prices.

Thank Post

Isnt support for a HP server only around the £1000 for 3 years?
    I would say a week is generous for install as well maybe 3-4 days at most for someone who knows what they are doing. Even at 4 days £2000 a day or £250 p/h seems a little steep

Also for that £ you should be getting 3 quotes minimum so you will get an idea once the other quotes come in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast