+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, crazy quote for new server! what do you think? in School Administration; Edenalig - next day onsite 3 year warranties are included as standard with all the HP servers I've bought (DL360's)....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries

re: crazy quote for new server! what do you think?

Edenalig - next day onsite 3 year warranties are included as standard with all the HP servers I've bought (DL360's).

Thank Post

blooming heck... hell i will install the bugga for £800..... sounds to me like they dont want your business

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Edenalig - next day onsite 3 year warranties are included as standard with all the HP servers I've bought (DL360's).
    See even better £5000 for 3 years warranty

Thank Post

Try calling Viglen for a quote, I had a quote simelar to this at my old school, that was for a new server, 30 new workstations, all installation, 1 years support and all their fancy classlink plugins etc.

It ceratinly does sound excessive for what they're doing. Golden rule here, shop around! There are many more companies capeable of supplying and installing ICT in schools, not just RM.

Also make your choise wisely. It sounds as if you're at a junction for ICT in your school, so which ever route you go down now you'll be stuck with for the next few years certainly. Get each of the companies you're interested in to demo their systems to you, most of them can do this and are more than happy to. That way you can make a more informed decision rather than just going by price.

I heard the name NSOptimum mentioned above. I've had bad experiences with this company. They're more than happy to sell you the equipment, but when it comes to after sales support I found them to be very poor. (This is my opinion, they may have improved since I last had dealings with them over 2 years ago)

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I would suggest that you get in touch with some other companies ASAP, those figures are way OTT for a school. An example:

We had, last year, 3 new servers to replace 2 old servers (with one being a nas box for backup). This cost us £6k for the servers and installation which included moving everything AD from the old to the new. Ok it was only 2003 - 2003 transfer but it took 2 days altogether. For what you want, it should not cost £8k simply for installation.

I would suggest contacting European Electronique, as they seem to provide excellent service and good prices.
    agreed
    always get a few quotes as one supplier may offer you more for your money. (you need three quotes anyway with our LEA)
    another benefit is th fact that as you are spendning so much they suppliers will do their best to undercut competition thus you may save a few quid.
    I have Stone computers, RM and Dell coming in soon to provide us will solutions to our current IT issues (storage, redundancy, etc)

Just as you would at home always get more than one quote i saved £300 quid when moving on solicitor fees !

Thank Post

If your edict is anything like our Edit in Nottinghamshire I can believe that type of price. I take it Edict is like Edit and you don’t need 3 quotes either?

When we got a quote from edit they wanted to change half the work stations with a very high minimum spec, change the wireless points and rewire the cabling so all the cables go directly to the main cabinet without switched around the building. The price also covers online backup at least it did for us. They also said it would be a 10day install.

Thank Post

You can get a decent spec server from Dell with 3 year next day warranty for about £2,000, less if you can scrimp on some parts. Not that I'm recommending Dell but that's what they have. Lowest was around £400.
    Don't forget to buy your licence yourself though as it will be cheaper than what they quote for it. Some companies still try and charge you £600 or so for a server licence when we can get it cheap via educational suppliers. We use Ramesys for licences.

Install it yourself, if you have the time. It isn't terribly difficult if you are experienced in IT and if you haven't done it before will be a good learning opportunity.

Another benefit is that it will be set up 'your way' and you will know your way around it better and be more comfortable supporting it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you want good support I'd use Stone Computers the hardware is well priced and the support is fanastic. As for the management software you could use RM CC3, CSE, Classlink there are many to choose from!

Wes

Thank Post

Titch...

This looks like a typical EdICT thing... they tried to do it to us a few years ago, and wanted £200k for a Vanilla MS network with a fancy log-on screen and no admin access! (this was the early years of EdICTNET)

We went with viglen instead, and have thrown them out as well.

If you'd like to chat about it, drop me an email Steven DOT Davison AT rmays.hants.sch.uk

Thank Post

Have just purchased new server for our school. It is a Poweredge 2900, 4gb ram, 2x73gb sas drives for raid1, 4x146gb sas drives for raid5. 2x5140 2.33ghz xeon processors. Came to about £2500. With all the licenses on it (server 2003, sql 2005, exchange 2007, cals etc) it added another £700 on top. Add on to that a ups system, another £200. Say basically, it all came in at £3500, and will be installing it myself. So there goes my summer holiday. Although it came in early, and now I just want to go ahead with the installation and migration of it. But best wait till all the little brats have left

Thank Post

I'll do it for 7 grand!! woo!! undercut here we come!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

6k?

Start a bidding war!

Wes

Thank Post

One Million Dollars! Hah hah hah.

Sorry ops:

Thank Post

it is the prefered supplier / solution but that donesn't mean you have to go with them.

I think if you shop around, the money you will save that is project management, installation, you will be able to get one hell of a server and very high spec machines which will last you well over 3 years, depending on your replacement policy..

Like mentioned Shop around, Viglen, Ranger RM if you want a managed solution, or if you are confident then by the equipment in and just do it yourself.

As always if you get stuck there are plenty of Geeks on here to help you out!

N

Thank Post

*Unrelatedish

We are just putting together a spec for PC's
    55 computers
    £5000
    Athlon 64 3500, 512 ram, 40gig sata2

Just shows what you can do if you shop about, this is about £100 per unit (figures rounded)

Plus a tft for about £70 quid and roberts your fathers brother.

fooby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast