+ Post New Thread
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, This year's budget survey... in School Administration; some of us don't have a budget. Each faculty comes to us with their individual IT needs, we source the ...

Thank Post

This year's budget survey...

some of us don't have a budget. Each faculty comes to us with their individual IT needs, we source the most cost effective/reliable product, and they pay the bill.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: This year's budget survey...

Some commas would ease reading it as well

Thank Post

Hopefully getting around £20k, although there is another budget for infrastructure, if i need any extra. Plus we have a technology status budget which somebody else holds the purse strings for.

Thank Post

50k ish, plus an infrastructure budget!

Thank Post

I get about 2K ish for consumables, and thats about it for here..... school is in defecit.... so most the money is held back, unless departments request equipment, and then the Business manager gets me to get prices!!

I dont like it being this way, i would prefer to have the money, but i dont get a choice in the matter really

Thank Post

This year we had £12,000 for consumables and £8,000 for Maintenance. We also have a Support Contract with our LA which is paid seperatly ( But I will be stopping this next year as it is not cost effective). With the completion of our new Sixth Form build at October and extra ICT facilites across the rest of the school I will be asking for more money for both pots.

If the money was to all be spent in either of the pots I only need to ask the School Business Manager and hes generally no has no worries and gives me whatever I ask for - within reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is it with these 'Business Manager' people? Is this a new name for Bursar?

Thank Post

our budget is all allocated even before we have got it!
    BTW we are getting a custom built IT office including a testing area, office space and storage, about time too!
    lest year we used most of the funds to equipt the music centre, this year the old music centre is being converted into a 6thform study area which means for machines

the more the network grows,
    the more the demand for support!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    They are cheap bursars is the way I see them, they have to do the work of a Bursar but will be a chunk cheaper to employee I suspect.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    They are cheap bursars is the way I see them, they have to do the work of a Bursar but will be a chunk cheaper to employee I suspect.
    Not here our School Business Manager is on about 40 - 45k and is part of the Schools Leadership Team. The term Bursar is more just financial where as our School Business Manager gets involved in a lot lot more.

Thank Post

The School Business Manager is a new government initiative (2 years ago ?). There are a number of reasons behind it, including taking the business side of education away from Head to allow him/her to get back to the educational role. It has 6 main job description areas (site management/ICT/H&S/finance etc), but the school can cherry pick which ones it wants/doesn't want. I was employed as IT manager initially, and have now just started as SBM. It is a developing role over a couple of years, starting off with school marketing/sponsorship etc. There are 2 courses, paid for by the government (if you are lucky), each one lasting about 12 months 8O

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

The CSBM and DSBM are very good courses that help build up portfolios of work that can be taken on to use for qualifications like PRINCE 2 or MBA.

Our Business Manager looks after Building, H&S, HR, Finance but ICT is kept seperate so that it can kept in line with what happens in ICT in Education.

The Business Manager's awareness of ICT means that she has a good grounding when we have the in-depth conversations, in the same way my background in H&S and Buildings means she does the same ...

The school gets us very cheaply compared to what BMs get paid in some schools but we are relatively happy with that whilst we build up our projects and et the chance to do some very interesting things ... BMs in BSF areas will be very important ... but the lack of awareness of the impact on T&L in schools can be a downfall of the system. NCSL have worked on this and the changes to perfomance management in schools helps to give more awareness of this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread