+ Post New Thread
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, How much does it cost you for jobs? in School Administration; We do everything in house including the building of ICT suites, so if we want to turn a room into ...
    Thank Post

How much does it cost you for jobs?

We do everything in house including the building of ICT suites, so if we want to turn a room into a new 30 pc ict suite we get the caretakers to put the worktops in, feed the electrics in (one caretaker use to be an electrictian as previous job) etc, and we do the cat 5 cabling and put the sockets in our selfs too.

Just wondering how much it costs people who get contracters in? We want to know how much were saving. Say an old classroom to a 30 PC suite.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: How much does it cost you for jobs?

Are your installations certified? Are your works up to your LA standards and are you complying with the H&S regs when carrying out the work? You could be costing more than your saving if you're not complying with current regs..

You shouldn't see your school as a charity. We all like to give something for nothing especially when kids are concerned - I know, I've done it in the past. But consider this, would your Head Teacher take less pay to help the school financially? No one needs to earn that much money. You bet they don't. Make the school pay their way. Don't hide the costs as it may not do them any favours in the long run.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

We do all our own installations with the exception of electrical wiring.
    LA doesn't let us do electrical work, which suits me - otherwise all up to rules and regs (the ones SMT allow us training for). Last IT suite was about 6 grand, for 30 machines (thin) and nwtworking. Not sure how much the desking cost but in comparison our library spend some 20k on desking. eek, this is the frustrating bit - we do high quality work so that SMT can literally waste it somewhere else.
    So I understand Marks' point about seeing the school as a charity.

Thank Post

Yeah, they are certified, school make sure the caretaker keeps going on courses to stay up to date with current regs, as he has changed all the light fittings etc in the school too and other things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

the reg i know have just changed when it comes to eletrics i know it is somthing i wanted to do and to become self certefied it cost around £800 a year plus certifacates which are around £25 each and it takes around 2 years to get self certified its called part p and even bisnessis not excempt. unless you are changing same for same then there is no need but for new installs you have got to comply. There are ways around it but its not cheap ie draw plans get permision £25 and then get it inspected after befor use £lots depending what you have done as they have to do a full inspection. this has only been in force about 2 years or less but just be really careful it one of the reasons i never went into eletrics i can do it but to much legal stuff now. I just stick with my pat testing now its easer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The running of network cabling is also bound by strict regulations. If your drilling etc that too is a minefield.

Thank Post

Just out of interest has anyone got any references to the different regulations, especially the network ones?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

the only regs with the network is the fire ones i cant find no more on them the rest are guidelines on network instulation. when it come to eletric its a diffrent matter but all the regs and everything can be found here http://www.theiet.org/ the new name for iee but there are starting to do tecnolgy regs as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/portal/pl...ocs/1/9560.PDF

covers some of the regs for networking

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

these dont seem like forced regs more like standards (ie if you dont do it that way you dont go to prison or get fined hundreds of lovley pounds?? quote me if i am wrong.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts

Yes the cabling stuff is not a legal requirement but they are things like the bend radius and pulling force etc... when installing structured cabling.

You don't have to follow them and you don't have to test a network cable but then there is no guaruntee that things will work.

That's why lots of sparkies think they can install cat5 "it's just a bit of wire gov, been doing it all my life" etc...

Cat6 gets even worse basically what is happenning with the frequencies involved is that the conductor and outer sheath is actually acting as a waveguide for the electromagnetic wave.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

lol, no you don't go to prison, but your network might not work
    check the becta technical specifications:
    http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.ph...r_02&rid=11281

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Granted that linked doc is focussed on standards and not regulations. These are alluded to tho' with mention of fire sealant, trays installed to standards ie clear of mains cabling runs; fire alarm circuits; all of which could get your school into hot water when the fire inspectors sift through the wreckage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i know the fire thing is a big one being a x forces member try wireing a pc network on a submarine with a nuclear bit in the middle lol thats really good fun espicially when you get a break lol not fun. the regs for that are mad i know the iet are starting to bring out regs but have not got it altogether yet but i can see the doing what they have done with eletrics ie having to be certified

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

In a way I hope the IET do and don't bring regulation to the data cabling systems, in some ways it will keep the cowboy sparkys out as a lot of them just treat it as a 4 pair cable and yank and tug it like normal mains cabling, but its just another thing for me to do, and it will force some decent installers out of the job if they say you must have testing tool X,Y & Z to do it as some of the stuff is seriously expensive for the smaller firm to buy and use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread