+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, HELP ME convince the governors! in School Administration; as much as we hate it, this is the sort of thing BSF will fix....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: HELP ME convince the governors!

as much as we hate it, this is the sort of thing BSF will fix.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    Aaahhh - the mystery of the moving goal-posts

I think that happens in every school - might even be in the JD if I look closely enough with a microscope
    Lol - groans in agreement! :P

So sorry to hear that fella. Same thing keeps hapening at one of my schools. 3 different projects and counting. Now if asked i just give ball park figures for costings. Then if they can afford those then surprise them when you can get more for the money.

Thank Post

Think I am going to email the chair of governors again. I mean what was the point of the finance meeting last week otherwise??

My sore throat and headache are worse too.. 8O

Thank Post

Heh, it won't make you feel any better, but I did mention in another thread we were extremely pleased to find we had been given a 20k budget out of the blue, spent quite a while planning all the things we needed over the year, took our spending plan in and were told we could only order 1 PC a month...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

It has taken 2 years but I am now in the situation that when all other budgets are put together anything vaguely technical (computer, audio/visual, etc) gets put onto my budget.

Since departments tends to get prices from currys or comet for things and I can get them cheaper (actually, Stehpen does the legwork) it means that I end up with a it more in my budget than I should have ...

The Business Manager is aware of this but is happy because when goal posts are moved I can usually absorb things without her having to worry ... and anything left over at the end of the year she can pilfer for things that have gone over.

Thank Post

That's just so sweet. Oh to be SMT /sigh

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Started that running before I was SMT ... within the first few weeks of me starting I began to try and claw back funds into my budget.

By the end of year one I started doing it this way ... and then became SMT and just let it roll ... and this year it is down just as good practice with even the auditors being happy about it... and that tools some doing!

Thank Post

Right...

The Yo-Yo project now seems back on.

Apparently they realised they cannot meet Ofsted requirements without the upgrade (alliluyah - finally!) so after some witchcraft they now have the money!

I have until early next week to get everything in school so that suppliers can be paid before the summer! lol!

Lucky me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

....only to find the suppliers have a 2-3 week delay whist they order stock. Suffering from that here atm. We'll be half way through summer before we have all the bits we need

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    ....only to find the suppliers have a 2-3 week delay whist they order stock. Suffering from that here atm. We'll be half way through summer before we have all the bits we need
    Exactly mate!

I have just rung them to make sure they order everything today! Nobody was there so a voice mail message has been left. I did speak to the head this morning and also told her to get everything ordered

The place I buy my things from is a local computer place and for an order of 15K they will have to order things from their suppliers, but they can't do this until they get the purchase orders from the school.

All I can do now is wait.............

Thank Post

Lordy... this is like a soap opera geek style... well I dunno about anyone else but I've got my popcorn ordered in and my fingers crossed in the hope it all goes through ok...

I've been there.. oh have I... :P

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Lordy... this is like a soap opera geek style... well I dunno about anyone else but I've got my popcorn ordered in and my fingers crossed in the hope it all goes through ok...

I've been there.. oh have I... :P
    Next exciting installment... of this soap.

Deputy has decided that she needs a new laptop because her PC (2 year old Acer Aspire 1355XL - rock solid) is too slow for her new software. She is using Target Tracker so says she needs a machine able to run it - guess where the money is coming from?

Thankfully, I managed to persuade her to buy 2 x 512Mb DDR SODIMMs instead to up her system memory to 1Gb which should be fine! I did have abit of money left, so the £70 odd quid for that is no problem. phew..... If I'd had to buy a new machine for her too - then I'd have been stuck.

£70 and the jobs a good'an, instead of spending almost £500 on a new machine.

Also..
    Still chasing up suppliers, that are chasing up their suppliers that are chasing up their suppliers! 8O

The PC manufacturers seem to have a problem sourcing their motherboards which won't get to them by Tuesday. And the old PCs that I wanted to upgrade to 512Mb PC133 might be a problem, having a look on the crucial website shows only 256Mb PC133 DIMMs for the PC as being compatible!! Thankfully I can take the PC to my local PC shop and they said that they would test their 512Mb PC133 Ram for me - hope it works!

Also deliberately ordered PCs with 3.5" Internal Card Readers instead of floppy drives. I HATE floppys and this way staff will have to use their USB memory sticks. Each member of staff was bought a USB pen drive last year so they have no excuses... I already have a USB Floppy drive if anything on a disk is really urgent!

Oh the power.... :twisted:

Thank Post

Wait till you get the 'Electrics need upgrading due to higher demand of the new PCs and it will have to come out the IT Budget '

Yes it did happen here New kit installed but only half could be switched on before the trip went

Needed a quick rewire job as the sockets were also out of date

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    Wait till you get the 'Electrics need upgrading due to higher demand of the new PCs and it will have to come out the IT Budget '

Yes it did happen here New kit installed but only half could be switched on before the trip went

Needed a quick rewire job as the sockets were also out of date
    Your on to something actually, because the school was due to be rewired 2 years ago, but they couldn't afford it!! So its only a matter of time...

Apparently its would cost something like 10 - 15K for the school to be rewired 8O 8O .

All quiet on the western front so far...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast