+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, Microsoft School Agreement in School Administration; Originally Posted by ahunter If this is true how on earth are schools that don't have the qualifying OS criteria ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    If this is true how on earth are schools that don't have the qualifying OS criteria supposed to install windows XP pro on their stations?
    I think if that's the case technically you'd need to buy MS windows licence for those machines before you can install an OS upgrade under the schools agreement. TBH the whole thing just seems like a slightly underhand way of allowing resellers like DELL and HP to continue selling OEM licences with new PCs they distribute

Mind you at least the MS schools agreement gives you the flexibility to upgrade versions of windows/server/office whenever you want rather than only being able to do it when the money's available so I still reckon the schools agreement is the best way to go overall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    If this is true how on earth are schools that don't have the qualifying OS criteria supposed to install windows XP pro on their stations?

For example a new school is built and they want to license 300 machines that currently have come shipped with no OS, they have no previous licenses or agreements in place yet they wish to setup a schools agreement. Under the schools agreement they are sold part number 66J-01156 qty: 300

What your telling me is the school would be breaking the law?
    Afraid so. All machines that utilise the Schools Agreement windows licenses must have a copy of windows on already. So, blank machines will require a full copy of windows to be bought. This can be any version of Windows from 98 though, but can't be OEM (only the OEM manufacturer of the machines, who holds an OEM agreement with Microsoft can issue these licenses).

That's why we buy machines with Windows on already. Such as Vista Home Basic or XP home in the past.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Afraid so. All machines that utilise the Schools Agreement windows licenses must have a copy of windows on already. So, blank machines will require a full copy of windows to be bought. This can be any version of Windows from 98 though, but can't be OEM (only the OEM manufacturer of the machines, who holds an OEM agreement with Microsoft can issue these licenses).

That's why we buy machines with Windows on already. Such as Vista Home Basic or XP home in the past.
    I was led to believe as long as you are a registered system builder, a case of registering on the system builder website, you can purchase the OEM versions to then be installed on a bare sytem ready for the school agreement volume licence media and vlk. That is what our previous and current reseller told us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I was led to believe as long as you are a registered system builder, a case of registering on the system builder website, you can purchase the OEM versions to then be installed on a bare sytem ready for the school agreement volume licence media and vlk. That is what our previous and current reseller told us.
    I thought that schools weren't allowed to register as a System Builder??

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    OEM licenses are specific to the OEM who is supplying them. Dell supply ones that are only legit when used on Dell PCs. The labels are usually printed with this fact also. So, you can't buy a non-Dell OEM license to put on a Dell PC, as you are not the builder of that machine.

Taken from the 'Education Operating System Licensing Q&A'

4. When a school or institution enters into a Microsoft Volume Licensing agreement (Campus Agreement, School Agreement, Academic Open, Academic Select), does that mean it is licensed for a full Microsoft® operating system (OS), such as Windows?
    ANSWER: No. Microsoft Volume Licensing only licenses a school or institution for an upgrade for Windows, and sometimes for a downgrade to an earlier version of Windows. There are only three ways for an education institution to obtain a full operating system:
     Acquire the Full-Packaged Product from a retail store.
     Acquire a new PC with an OEM version of the operating system preinstalled.
     Acquire an OEM license with additional hardware from your system builder.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...42/OSLicQA.doc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trolley01 View Post
    I thought that schools weren't allowed to register as a System Builder??
    I'm not sure about that. I registered as a user and not as a school.
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    OEM licenses are specific to the OEM who is supplying them. Dell supply ones that are only legit when used on Dell PCs. The labels are usually printed with this fact also. So, you can't buy a non-Dell OEM license to put on a Dell PC, as you are not the builder of that machine.
    I was referring to computers built from scratch by myself, should have said so in my post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    If I build a PC from components I just buy an OEM Copy of XP Pro or Vista Business from the likes of Dabs, Ebuyer, CCL, Insight etc they all sell OEM copies of them so you can get them easy enough without registering.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12