+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, Durham Net in School Administration; Originally Posted by girlygeek We have removed our magic box and have a seperate squid proxy installed although we do ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by girlygeek View Post
    We have removed our magic box and have a seperate squid proxy installed although we do still have the red screen proxy from county but we have been told we are required to have 2 layers of proxy protection although on many occations we bypass the red screen.

Can anyone shed any light on the proxy requirements withing schools. We do not seem to have an SLA for the filtering system with is provided by Durhamnet.
    How do you bypass the red screen?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    How do you bypass the red screen?
    Thats a secret I'm afraid

@girlygeek am surprised you managed to get them to remove the 'Magic Box' although I am even more surprised at the fact that you still get the stupid red screen.

Thought that was all done by the version of squid installed on the 'Magic Box', if you don't have it installed on site you shouldn't technically get the red screen.

How long has it been removed from your school?

I think the two levels of protection is utter rubbish. Before we had out web filter installed staff used the 'Magic Box' as the proxy which meant we only had one layer of protection!
    Last edited by AngryITGuy; 28th January 2009 at 03:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Removing the 'Magic Box' is probably just a case of replacing it with a router that has the same IP address configuration on the WAN and LAN. Of course, this is just the IP routing part of it - it would be sensible to combine this with filtering/proxy in one box (for example - Smoothwall, IPCop, Linux+iptables+Squid).

As HTTP traffic is routed through DurhamNET after it's left the Magic Box, it passes through their transparent cache servers (also running their squid red-page blocking functionality) so that's why you still get the block page.
    Last edited by Trust-No-One; 28th January 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust-No-One View Post
    Removing the 'Magic Box' is probably just a case of replacing it with a router that has the same IP address configuration on the WAN and LAN. Of course, this is just the IP routing part of it - it would be sensible to combine this with filtering/proxy in one box (for example - Smoothwall, IPCop, Linux+iptables+Squid)..
    If this is the case then why bother removing the 'Magic Box'? I can just see it now when you have problems with the internet the first this DurhaNet will say is the problem has nothing to do with them and that its down to that box the school has used to replaced the MagicBox!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust-No-One View Post
    As HTTP traffic is routed through DurhamNET after it's left the Magic Box, it passes through their transparent cache servers (also running their squid red-page blocking functionality) so that's why you still get the block page.
    Thanks for the info, looks like I was given some dud info, was told that the red page was initiated by the squid on the MagicBox. But reading through your post it would make more sense to have it on the cache servers too.
    Last edited by AngryITGuy; 28th January 2009 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    I may be wrong - they may have changed the way things work since I pieced bits and peices together over the years.

Without working for DurhamNET as an engineer or getting information from them directly, we can only make educated guesses as to how things are set up, what goes where and how things work.

Thank Post
    FWIW you do not need 2 proxies - one BECTA accredited one will do fine!

Thank Post
    @tom_newton Is this the minimum recommended by Becta?

I wonder if DurhamNET's filtering is Becta-accredited?

Thank Post
    Probably not because it is rubbish!

I'm currently trying to get quotes from different suppliers at the moment to see if we can get it cheaper.

I believe that at yesterdays secondary bursars meeting the general consensus was that the bills weren't going to be paid, and it was raised with the treasurers representative that the financial information should not have been divulged to Durham Net either.

I'll post back with details of prices as and when I get them.

Thank Post
    @mounters - drop me a line if you need a quote for filtering.
    @trust-no-one: AFAIK, yes!

Thank Post
    @tom_newton, @mounters Thank you. We will too.

Thank Post
    The proxy system in our school was set up by a previous network manager who left us with little to no documentation we will soon be (hopefully) moving over to SmoothWall and our main worry about filtering was the level you needed although we bypass most of the red page system with our own anyway.

We are very interested in a new internet provider though and are trying to track down when the schools in Durham moved away from North East Grid for Learning onto Durhamnet because it is my understanding that we tried to stay with them but were unable to do so.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by girlygeek View Post
    We are very interested in a new internet provider though and are trying to track down when the schools in Durham moved away from North East Grid for Learning onto Durhamnet because it is my understanding that we tried to stay with them but were unable to do so.
    From what I have been told and I could be wrong so if I am don't hold it against me.

When DurhamNet came along schools had no choice but to go with them due to their very competative pricing financially it was a no brainer for schools as costs were heavily discounted.

Now the discounts have all gone, pricing has rocketed whilst quality of service and connectivity speeds have dropped schools are understandably upset and want to look else where for connectivity.

With regards to their filtering I spoke to someone last night who is testing out DurhamNet's new filtering software which apparantley SHOCK HORROR is really good. Its based on a per school policy giving schools more flexibility when it comes to unblocking and blocking sites.

Its still in testing stages yet and that dreaded red screen has been replaced too, the new screen looks a lot better and dare I say more professional as I have seen it myself.

Thank Post
    @tom_newton
    Cheers for the offer Tom, but I wont need to take up on it. Already got some pretty good filtering. It's from this company in Leeds I think, smooth something or other

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mounters View Post
    @tom_newton
    Cheers for the offer Tom, but I wont need to take up on it. Already got some pretty good filtering. It's from this company in Leeds I think, smooth something or other
    Heh

PM me and let me know who you are so I can add you to my "Edugeek:Smoothie Users list" - sometimes when folk ask tech questions on here it is useful to be able to nip into our internal systems and find out what versions of the sw you're running!

Thank Post
    Not sure if this may be relevant, but am speaking to a school in Durham who are having the same problem as you all, in terms of their leased line costs. We're in the process of helping them with a resilient bonded dsl option, that is a lot cheaper, but still provides decent throughput. If I can help you lot in anyway, feel free to PM me, and I'll get on the case.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast